Search Unity

Standalone Mac builds being detected as iOS only on M1 chips

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheRaider, Nov 8, 2021.

1. TheRaider

TheRaider

I have some code which runs differently for different platforms and it isn't running properly on an macbook air with an M1 chip (I don't actually have the device, just reported from someone who does and demonstrated via zoom).

The inside the #if UNITY_IOS is running rather than #if UNITY_STANDALONE_OSX It is however running the #if UNITY_STANDALONE_OSX on my older macbook.

Is this a known issue/is there a way around this?

2. aronsommer

aronsommer

I have noticed that if you go to System Information > Applications on macOS Big Sur the Unity version 2021.2.0f1 silicon editor is also shown as iOS app. I am also on a MacBook Air M1.

Screenshot.png

3. aronsommer

aronsommer

ps: we have joined this forum on the same day in 2010 :)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-08 um 15.49.38.png

4. aronsommer

aronsommer

I have tested a Mac build made with Unity version 2021.2.1f1 (silicon) on MacBook Air M1 and can not reproduce your issue. Is your app a Mac app or iOS app which runs on the MacBook Air M1?

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah this issue sounds unlikely... can you show the code that reproduces this?

6. TheRaider

TheRaider

You are right, I figured out was happening.

I was saving to the MyPictures folder and the person testing for me had created another MyPictures folder which they had saved images from the mobile version of my app in so he could print them(it is basically a corporate visioning app where the PC/Mac is the facilitator environment and the free mobile apps can connect to it to create a virtual session). The pictures were saving into the correct folder and once I remoted desktop'd into his machine so I could test myself I found out what was going on in finder.

Sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase but I couldn't figure what was go on. One of the downsides of remote testing I guess. On the bright side I think he felt as stupid as felt so we felt stupid together.

7. TheRaider

TheRaider

That is crazy, especially as it so many years ago. My little icon is still a piece of art I made for a prototype of a game I never finished.

Unity was just a thing I stumbled on to fix a problem, and now looking back over a decade I have made some pretty cool things with http://www.destined.com/Portfolio.pdf

What is the thing you have done you are most proud of over that time?

Thanks for trying to help :)

8. aronsommer

aronsommer

You have a very cool portfolio! :)

I have checked out Unity after my graphic design studies now I have released 10 mobile games:

www.aronsommer.com

Have a great day!