Search Unity

Standalone build crashes on startup but only when launching through Steam

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brinca, Jan 6, 2021.

1. brinca

brinca

If I run the build locally, it loads and plays just fine.

If I add the build to Steam as an external game, it loads and plays just fine.

If I upload to my develop branch on Steam (using SteamPipe), then update the game, then run it through either Steam or even the local copy (as downloaded by Steam), it crashes on startup, with the following crash log:
    The player log reads like this:
    The strange thing is that I haven't changed my Steam uploading pipeline at all (in fact I've tried in both PC and Mac), and I still have a working build on my default branch.

Besides some updates in the actual content, I'd say the major difference is that I've since upgraded to 2020.2, and also upgraded Xcode to 12.3, in order to be able to compile to Apple silicone.

I'm getting reports of similar crashes with our game in other Mac devices as well (both company and external beta testers).

Any ideas?

2. jaydeebee

jaydeebee

I saw this with 2020.2. A temporary downgrade to 2020.1 fixed it for me. There's some discussion on Steamworks.NET Github Issue #393 that may hint at better solutions.

3. brinca

brinca

I've tried to downgrade all the way to 2020.1.17f1 but unfortunately the problem still persists... :p
    And that thread is related to another problem that occurs, but I had already solved that by copying the missing file manually into the package contents (which works fine).

The odd thing is that when you run a build for the first time it loads fine, crashes when loading a level, and from then on it crashes all the time on startup (when running the build through Steam).

I've tried resetting player prefs but it still crashes on startup, so this must be related to some setting that the crash changes, that then stays persistent until a new build is installed.

4. brinca

brinca

Just a simple note for anyone visiting this thread from the future, it looks like Unity 2020.3.x solves the issue, since executables built with that version don't seem to crash when launching through Steam any longer (could also have been something unrelated in my project that got fixed in the meantime).