Search Unity

Stamp Tool Needs 3d Brush Preview And Categories

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Rowlan, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I created stamps for free to be used with the Stamp Tool:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/free-terrain-stamps-github.661399/

Problem is that there's no 3d preview available (unless you move over to the editor after you clicked a brush) and the brush name can only be seen when you use a tool tip. It's very hard to find out which brush is being used. The shape can eventually be made out from these small icons, not so the details like erosion, height, terracing, etc. Example of the problem:

preview.jpg
    That's only 20 stamps. I intend to post even more stamps for free. I guess even if there were a 3d preview, it could become too much with a 100+ stamps. Maybe categories could help? After all the built-in paint brush is quite something different compared to the terrain brush. With the paint brush you sculpt. With the terrain brush you have full terrains.

As a start: Is it possible to create a 3d brush and show it inside the inspector? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

MrBeros and konsic like this.
  2. Rowlan

Rowlan

I created an inspector 3d preview for the brush in my stamp tool extension. In case anyone wants it, you can get it from here:

http://bit.ly/StampToolExtended

Looks like this:

preview3d.gif

I would have preferred to do this similar to the mesh preview in the PreviewGUI at the bottom of the inspector, but there doesn't seem to be a supporting api yet. Or I didn't find it. If anyone has pointers, please let me know. Thank you :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. Rowlan

Rowlan

@wyatttt Thank you guys for the new terrain tools preview :) I see Unity added stamps. Will there be some kind of organization? Maybe new section by folder? And a 3d preview like above (but better) would certainly be helpful.

One can hardly make out anything from this ;)

p.png

wyattt_ likes this.
  4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Eventually ya. I want to take all that stuff out of the inspector and put it in the sceneview with ways to customize the organization.

Haven't thought about a 3D preview for the stamps but that could be pretty cool and useful

Rowlan likes this.