Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stacked camera not working in SteamVR

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by djlins, Jun 25, 2020.

1. djlins

djlins

Hi all,

I am having more troubles with SteamVR and Unity URP and I need a second or third pair of eyes on this for me to ensure I am not going mad.

I have a new scene and I have put in 2 cubes, one on the normal default layer and an orange one I have added to a new layer called Overlay.

I replace the default camera with the SteamVR Player.

I add a normal Overlay Camera under the "FallBackObject" camera and set it as it's overlay camera.
    I set the culling to be the overlay layer so it can only see the orange cube
    I set the culling of the FallBackObject to be everything but the overlay layer so it sees everything except the orange cube

I add a copy of the VRCamera as a child to itself and set that as it's overlay camera
    I set the culling to be the overlay layer so it can only see the orange cube
    I set the culling of the VRCamera to be everything but the overlay layer so it sees everything except the orange cube

I stack the overlays to their respective bases.

you can see my setup here:

upload_2020-6-25_18-46-22.png

I then run it through the headset and only see the base camera, no orange cube.
    I click the 2D Debug which switches camera to the fallback objects and it does show it's overlay (both orange and grey cubes)

What can I be doing wrong on the overlay camera for the VRCamera so that it ignores any overlay renders?

I have put my basic test project here if anybody with a Rift, or HTC Vive would like kind enough to load it up and have a go for me. Any input would be very much appreciated here because this is such a straight forward step I can't see what could be different between the VRCamera and the 2D Fallback Camera. But something is going wrong.

http://aeacerts.thefusion.works/files/ljmtest1.zip

Thanks in advance,

Lindsay.

2. essertvr

essertvr

Having the exact same issue right now. Did you find a solution for it by chance?
    Kind Regards

3. djlins

djlins

Unfortunately not.
    I had to abandon what I was trying to achieve with it in the end.
    The reply I was getting from Unity was that these kind of effects were in their infancy for URP and Oculus Quest and Rift platforms back then.

I might revisit at some point to see if Unity did in fact get all of this working properly but I'm sorry to say I cant help you out I'm afraid.