Search Unity

Stability during extremely long runtimes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by eirikamb, Jul 30, 2021.

1. eirikamb

eirikamb

Hello, I can't find any threads on this from before, but I am developing a Unity app that will be used for, well, non-standard purposes. I rely on Unity running very stable for hours, days, years at a time.

I was wondering if there are any knows limitations on the Unity engine on running for a very long time or stability issues. I need accurate rotations and physics collisions. I am of course not talking about float inaccuracy in my variables adding up, but UnityEngine limitations/bugs/stability issues or Unity-made variables where small inaccuracies could add up over the course of a year. I was planning on running this as a WebGl application.

It would of course be possible to restart the application every 24 hours or so, but I would like it to run non-stop on the same scene for at least days and months, if not years.

I wonder if someone from Unity would be able to respond or someone that have done a test on this.

Thanks in advance, Eirik.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I'm not sure I know a browser that can run more than a few hours without running out of memory or otherwise choking, and that's just running simple webpages.

3. eirikamb

eirikamb

Well, this wouldn't necessarily have to be a Unity WebGL applications, would an .exe file run into these issue?

Edit: Wait, I don't think I understand the memory issue actually. How do you trigger this? I usually run Chrome for 12-14 hours a day and don't have any issues with chrome using a lot of memory in comparison when it has just started up

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021