Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

St. Augustine's Castillo de San Marcos (the Old Fort)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by xemplifly, Apr 30, 2008.

1. xemplifly

xemplifly

Hello Everyone,

Below is a link to our Castillo de San Marcos walkthrough.

http://www.augustine.com/community/castillo3d.php

This is the first demo we've produced with Unity3D and we're quite happy with the feature set. Created in ~2 weeks. There are several things we would like to do to make this walkthrough really immersive, but the majority is there. Please feel free to comment and suggest some things. I'm open to feedback!

-Shaun
    Augustine Web Design

2. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

That is a great use of this tool. Good work.

The only jarring aspect of this is the water which just rushes on by. I also would have liked to see soe finer details in the texturing such as the ships supposedly carved by the spanish in the walls.

Nevertheless I enjoyed the tour. Thanks.

3. crockett

crockett

Hey man, pretty cool. I live just south of you here in Daytona Beach. I've been to that fort and looks like you did a pretty good job recreating it.

Not sure if you know or not, but there is a second one down in the Florida Keys.

I do have a question for you. Did you build the fort structure inside unity or build it in a 3d app and import it?

4. GusM

GusM

Vey nice, congratulations.

5. xemplifly

xemplifly

Hi aaron
    I'm guessing you saw really bad looking water that moves quickly? =0( I'm not sure what to do about that. Most of our test platforms rendered the water correctly except for one that was up in it's years. Any suggestions from the other users?

6. xemplifly

xemplifly

I created all the 3d assets and lightmaps inside 3dsmax, exported as an FBX file, and applied the lightmaps inside unity. It's pretty simple actually. The engine does all the hard work :D

-Shaun
    Augustine Web Design

7. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

To slow the water down you can adjust the Wave speed property map1 of the Water material to something around (.1,.1). It seems map1 controls the speed for the fallback texture and map2 is for the shader based texture.

I've been to the fort many times, looks good. I like the streaming narration. Maybe have the volume falloff as a person walks away though.

Suggestions:

1. I'd turn on the VBL Sync, and reduce the mouse speed. I was getting a lot of tearing when moving around.

2. The stairs were a bit bumpy to climb and the FPS controller got stuck sometimes. Perhaps just put a ramp there or adjust the FPS controller so it handles the stairs a bit more smoothly.

8. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

Very nice use of Unity!

This is more a content suggestion than a technical one: It would be great to have a version that shows the fort more as it was when it was occupied -- no benches and ticket booth out in the open.

That would give the virtual experience an added level of interpretation.

9. xemplifly

xemplifly

1. What should I be looking for when i look for "tearing"? I see what i thought was ghosting from the lcd monitor. Is that what you mean?

2. Agreed. This morning I installed the FPS controller safety ramps. The grey pill is handling the stairs much better. Thanks!

-Shaun
    Augustine Web Design

10. xemplifly

xemplifly

Absolutely. That's in the works! :D

11. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

Tearing is what happens when the screen is refreshed out of sync with the buffer on the video card, so it looks like you have a line across the screen separating 2 frames. So 1/2 of the screen is from the previous frame. Walk up to the ticket booth, go into full screen mode and slowly rotate the camera. The flashing (I see it on an early '08 iMac and a MBP) is the tearing.

12. xemplifly

xemplifly

Thanks for the info. I took your advise and Vsync-ed. :D

13. crockett

crockett

Just an idea to add to that.. it maybe cool to have a Spanish soldier give you a tour.