Search Unity

SSS on big objects

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Passeridae, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Passeridae

Passeridae

Hi,

I'm developing a scene which contains a couple of marble ladders, like this one:
    upload_2019-6-23_22-13-10.png
    As far as I know, such materials as marble rely on subsurface scattering to look realistic. At least, that's how it works in path tracing renderers. I'm new to Unity, and in most SSS-related topics I see relatively small and thin objects (such as seashells) used as examples to show this effect. But is it worth the performance cost to use it for big objects, such as ladders, and will it be noticeable? In renderers like V-ray and Corona the overall look of the marble surface definitely benefits from SSS applied to these same objects. But in Unity I get rather weird results, when only polygons on the side and shadowed part of the ladder receive a thin green outline.
    upload_2019-6-23_22-12-19.png

So, if using SSS on big objects is even a good idea, what's the best way to implement it and make it noticeable? Especially, when texture maps are exported from Substance Painter?