Search Unity

Sss Artifacts

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by kFreezer, Apr 11, 2019.

1. kFreezer

kFreezer

Hi everyone,

first time posting,

I'm currently working on a character and I need a nice SSS effect for the skin. As you can see below I get these big artifacts when I apply the SSS. I don't know if its the limitation of the engine or an issue. My guess is that it is an issue as I've seen some pretty good sss done in unity.

upload_2019-4-11_17-42-51.png

I'm using the HDRenderPipeline/Lit shader with the 2018.3.2 version of Unity
    here are the parameters

upload_2019-4-11_17-48-2.png
    diffusion profile
    upload_2019-4-11_17-51-21.png

If anyone can help me or had to solve this it would save me from some big head scratching tomorrow :D
    Thanks a lot!

2. kFreezer

kFreezer

Ok so it seems like the artifacts appears even with a default lit shader with SSS activated but they are less visible, even with the High quality option activated in the HDRP profile.

I managed to have a decent result without linking my scattering and thickness map. I guess I must tweak them a bit further to achieve good sss, especially for the ears. I'll probably remove the sss from the jaws

Also idk if it did also occured to anyone, but once I plugged the scattering map and removed it the artifacts got worst and there's no way to get back to the default look afterwards.

I'll post any improvement

3. Charlesy51

Charlesy51

I wanted to make a quick example of tire tracks in Terragen, and when I went and did the first render, I noticed more tracks than there should be. I'm not sure what the issue is here. There are marks on the right side as well when you mess with texture colors and sun position walgreenslistens.

Last edited: May 1, 2019