Search Unity

SSRR on a transparent or translucent object

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Deleted User, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm trying to use the SSRR and the standard shader to create a reflective glass material, and the reflections do not appear on the material when it is set to transparent or fade. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not possible? I'm relatively new to Unity so I may be missing something obvious.

2. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi.

SSR works be using the GBuffer for raytracing from the current pixel to figure out what could reflect onto it. This means that it needs the GBuffer which is something transparent objects don't get. SSR is also rendered before transparent objects (otherwise it can lead to artifacts). For transparent objects you should look into reflection probes or planer reflections.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ReflectionProbes.html

Deleted User likes this.
  3. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

@Tim-C is this still the case in HDRP, do you know?

CloudyVR likes this.
  4. John_Leorid

John_Leorid

I guess yes - Just tried to set up a water shader, then created a cube with a ReflectionTest material (HDRP/Lit shader, full metallic, full specular, opaque) and I was able to see Screen Space Reflections. Then I just changed it from Opaque to Transparent and Reflections are all gone (alpha set to 1, so it's theoretically still opaque). I tried enabling "DepthWrite" "Transparent Depth Prepass" "Transparent Depth Postpass" but I wasn't able to bring back any reflections.
    Then I ended up on this thread, so it seems like it's (still) not possible?

5. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

It now is possible with the latest versions of HDRP. You can enable SSR on Transparent on the HDRP asset.

zeropointblack likes this.
  6. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

i can see why they didnt have this option in the first place.

after enabling no less than 5 different check boxes to enable this effect, its basically worthless, because there is NO separate slider control for smoothness for BOTH the refraction and the reflection. so, like on water, you have to choose one or the other. either completely clear to get reflections, or nice and murky but then no reflections, lol. what a waste. oh well.

CloudyVR likes this.
  7. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I agree, there should be more emphasis put into making reflections look more realistic.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021