Search Unity

SSAO Pro - High Quality Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Martin_H

Martin_H

Try experimenting with different near/far clipping planes.Lack of depth buffer precision often causes artifacts, so making the visible area smaller might help.

2. Shtrude1

Shtrude1

I've tried that alrdy and still no result.

3. Gua

Gua

Looks like SSAO Pro creates artifacts when particles are rendered against advance foliage shader unity tree billboards.

4. bcoyle

bcoyle

I could be wrong but it appears that SSAO Pro isn't able to make the cut with being used with VR. I just jumped on the asset today in hopes to achieve quick and dirty looking GI - but the AO effect added extra aliasing that is hard to clean up and at least for me was causing some eye strain.

Unless some else has some settings to share :)

buttmatrix likes this.
  5. eventropy

eventropy

This plugin fails when built with WebGl (Unity 5.6.1f1) with the following error:

Error occurred while building: Shader error in 'Hidden/SSAO Pro V2': '' : 'UnityStereoTransformScreenSpaceTex' already defined at Assets/Plugins/Packages/SSAO Pro/Resources/SSAOPro.cginc(45) (on gles)

Is this a known issue?

6. ratking

ratking

Hi,

I have a somewhat older project, still using Unity 4.x. A user of my game got graphical errors with the SSAO. A screenshot without SSAO:

And with SSAO activated:

His specs: GTX980 on a Core i7 6700K with 16GB of RAM; OSX (Nvidia driver). Notes: "like an iMac with an Nvidia graphics card. Actually it’s a custom-built PC".

Anyone seen something similar, and fixed it?

Quique-Martinez likes this.
  7. x4000

x4000

I've seen this sort of thing when using a really exaggerated normal map, or certain types of parallax heightmaps. If you're using the gbuffer to fill SSAO, then there can be some funky data in there if that data is set up badly. This is on Unity 5, though.

My best guess would be that you have normals above 1, but it's hard to say.

8. ratking

ratking

First, this only happens on this guy's computer. Second, the meshes are not scaled, and I don't use normal maps at all.

9. x4000

x4000

I didn't mean the scale of the meshes, I meant the scale of the normal map intensity.

At any rate, sounds like something completely else. Sorry I couldn't help!

ratking likes this.
  10. AvalonGamingZone

AvalonGamingZone

Hi,

This effect is very good but I'm getting some graphical artefacts that are mainly constituted of stripes appearing in the skybox and another effect like two of three flickering vertical lines. Those effect change in function of the camera angle/direction could you help me with this issue ? Thanks !

11. AvalonGamingZone

AvalonGamingZone

Oki disregard my previous message... It was all my fault ! I had two camera, the first one was for the foreground and the second one was for the background an applying the same effet on both has made some cascading artefacts in the rendering process ! I'm a coder but not very familliar with the Unity rendering queue and Unity in general ^^ ssao-pro is awesome !

12. Carpet_Head

Carpet_Head

The asset seems to be incompatible with 2017.2f2? I get a pure black screen while using it in VR with single pass stereo

you should be able to use the mock vive headset to reproduce

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    GoGoGadget likes this.
  13. goomar

goomar

微信图片_20171018094501.jpg
    Android display an error...:(

GoGoGadget likes this.
  14. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Hello. I would like to know if this asset is going to be continued to be supported?
    I'm not experiencing any issues with the asset while using Unity 2017.1.1, but it feels like this has become yet another post-processing asset which has "gone out of business".
    Thanks,

NIOS, GoGoGadget and deab like this.
  15. Kusras

Kusras

Hi,

I have one issue with integration SSAO and Unature. The issue and solution is simple, however I have no clue how to solve it.

Issue is, that uNature is making grass blades, which changes their position of vertex in Unature_Base.cginc. And Camera - depthNormal pass does not move that vertex same way... SO what I need is to make custom render type in depthNormal. Which is not an issue for me, but there is one huge problem. In Camera - DepthNormalTexture (unity built-in shader) throws error it does not see that Unature_Base.cginc , despite it is copypasted from grass shader, which works with it (to avoid a typo). So I would like to ask a question if you know how could I make a custom include into that unity built in shader. If I must put that cginc somewhere into special folder or so. I was not able to find any solution and author of uNature seems have no idea.

P.S. Error is exactly:
    Shader error in 'Hidden/Camera-DepthNormalTexture': failed to open source file: 'uNature_Foliage_Base.cginc' at line 85 (on d3d11)

Code of DepthNormalTexture subshader is copyPasted of TransparentCutout, with changed renderType to "GrassMy" and added just the line of include:
    #include "uNature_Foliage_Base.cginc"
    So there is no possibility of any other error.

Thank you for your answer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  16. MPMPrudencio

MPMPrudencio

@Chman I can't get any effect on my VR camera, any fix for that? Regards;

17. DoTheEyeThing

DoTheEyeThing

I set the render queue of a model's shader quite high (3000) for use with a depth mask and SSAO stopped working on it. Any idea why?

18. gecko

gecko

Is there any way to use SSAO Pro as a custom effect in Unity's Post-Processing Stack v2? (I much prefer SSAO Pro to the built-in AO in PPSv2)

NIOS and deab like this.
  19. ElliottMallard

ElliottMallard

Has there been any word of this being upgraded to work in the HD Render Pipeline?

jammer42777 likes this.
  20. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello
    What are the advantages of using this asset versus Unity's Post Processing Stack AO?
    Thanks

21. DanielSchmidt

DanielSchmidt

Seems like only Legacy is working for me in 2019.1, where the recommended option that used to look best now doesn't work and just gives pure darkness.

Edit: Definitely due to the new inverted depth buffer, I'm not entirely sure how to invert the right pieces, but it's definitely located in the file SSAOPro.cginc.

Second Edit: The fact we had Legacy of course meant our SSAO Pro version was incredibly outdated. We didn't think the SSAO Pro had been updated to work with the 5.5 inverted depth buffer, until somebody pointed out the change log stated so even though the supported versions on the asset store only doesn't say it was specifically submitted with that version or any following version. Updating did resolve the problems with the inverted depth buffer, but also removed the legacy version of the shader. Required a bit of tweaking but our problems currently seem resolved.

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  22. andyz

andyz

This asset worked for me on a custom built-in pipeline (2019) but I guess no upgrade to URP/HDRP?
    It's a shame as did good SSAO, I am not finding the AO in HDRP, for example, very good in comparison!!

23. Voodoocado

Voodoocado

Hello!

I'm getting these weird effects where a grass texture will show up as an SSAO Pro shadow above the horizon.
    Any idea what this could be caused by? I have tried to simplify the scene to only include
    * main camera + ssao pro (intensity set to highest to exaggerate the effect)
    * terrain with some grasses
    * directional light

upload_2020-11-23_11-33-33.png