Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[SRP] Is it possible to create a UI only rendering pipeline with the new SRP API?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Le_Tai, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

I read the forum thread, the blog post as well as the doc about the new SRP API. I get that we can do custom lighting, culling & filtering with it. I also understand how forward, forward+ and deferred work. However, I don't understand enough about the UI rendering pipeline that is currently in use. Where can I find more information on this? Is it possible to create a UI only pipeline?

Also, do you have any recommendation on resources to understand more about UI rendering in general? Like how its done in popular OS

Thanks

Enrico-Monese likes this.
  2. PacoChan

PacoChan

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the UI system consists on a bunch of components that make easy to place, scale and interact with 2D UI elements. But they are actually 3D quads that are always in front of a camera with their own set of shaders. So technically there's not much difference from other 3D objects. So I think that what you are asking should be possible.

3. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

According to the Frame debugger, they look like forward rendered quads. So I guess yes.

Now I need to figure out if they do static culling by default or how to implement it.