Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

SRP and HDRP seems to break Shaded Wireframe scene view.

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by YuriyPopov, Jan 24, 2019.

1. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

So by using the HD render pipeline and setting the pipeline asset in the graphics settings the shaded wireframe mode simply disappears. Is there a workaround for this or what?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If update to 4.8 (on 2018.3) or a later one one on 2019.1 you should see wireframe, but it still will take a long time for the shaders to recompile (AFAIK). I don't think there's good support for it at present.

3. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Just wireframe works. Its shaded wireframe that is broken

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes, broken here too - I expect they will get to it eventually.

5. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We don't support shaded wireframe in HDRP. The bug is that we shouldn't diplay the option to select this mode. We will be sure it isn't available in future version.

6. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Let me clear it up. The option does not show up at all. The question is why dont you support it? This seems like a basic feature that has it benefits. Several of my artists and level designers have asked for it

7. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

It is not available for technical reasons. The current mode is under the control of builtin pipeline that have no knowledge about scriptable render pipeline (note that it is true for other builtin debug view mode, thus why they are also disabled. Some have been ported -> Windows -> Analysis -> See Render Pipeline Debug, other haven't as it require more heavy change). We have no plan currently to port it due to other priorities.

8. Airasys

Airasys

Hello Seb,

Shaded wire frame in (Scene view) is something that we use all of the time for VFX development and internal review. It allows us to see how efficient the use of texture space is relative to the size of the particle that is displayed. This option is an extremely useful tool for general development and debugging not to mention tech checking assets from external contractors. If possible please convey this to the team.

Thank you for your time.

David Mosher

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I would suggest solving the problem with a post effect that runs in scene view. I believe this to be a feasible visualisation solution.

AlanMattano likes this.
  10. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

>It allows us to see how efficient the use of texture space is relative to the size of the particle that is displayed

Hi, we still have no plan to implemented shaded wireframe. I will argue that for your context you want overdraw and vertex density debug mode which are mode that we aim to develop in the future. No ETA.

hippocoder likes this.
  11. Airasys

Airasys

Thanks for the reply Seb,

I really need to stress the importance of this tool in a production environment for debugging/tech checking, its really hard to digest that something that we use on a daily basis (for years) is now being removed due to "technical reasons"? Could you expand a bit on why this will not work anymore with the new version of Unity? Just seems to be a shame to remove a feature that worked very well.

Thanks again for relaying the feedback to the development team.

David.

12. Salvation-Au

Salvation-Au

Ok I seem to have got it to work. I selected shaded then under gizmos there is a "Selection Wire" option. Hope this helps.
    upload_2019-5-30_8-23-47.png

Riva3000, KRH, qoobit and 4 others like this.
  13. Korze

Korze

Salvation-Au thank you for pointing this out. It works with the only caveat being that it doesn't affect everything in the scene, just the items you have selected.
    Thanks again! :)

14. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Wireframe doesn't work either. I can't believe that Unity is neglecting these rather useful features. I used it all the time in the past and it's a real shame it's missing in 2019. I often use wireframe or shaded wireframe to precisely snap meshes into position. Now I am literally blind.

@SebLagarde There are seriously no plans to bring this back?

Pix10 and simcovr like this.
  15. Pix10

Pix10

Pffffffffffffff. Two steps backwards. Does anyone writing this stuff have any exposure to actually making games themselves? We rely on this kind of thing for so many reasons under vastly varying circumstances from project to project and day to day.

I really can't think of much else to say. Colliders don't highlight when in wireframe mode anymore either.

Folstrym, MaxEden, CD-ECEU and 4 others like this.
  16. MattESqr

MattESqr

Hi Seb- can you elaborate on these technical reasons?

If I'm able to have wireframes that draw the Collider shapes, and able to have wireframe rendered over selected objects (Gizmos->Selection Wire) whilst in a SRP (URP/HDRP)... what are these technical reasons preventing either of these per-object solutions - that work - being used to render over all the objects in a Shaded Wireframe mode?

From a usability point of view - this regression is hard to take seriously when every other engine and 3D application out there is capable of this (including the current SRP's with Selection Wire)

17. nyonge

nyonge

Would love an update here, cc @SebLagarde. I regularly use Shaded Wireframe, and while in some cases technical view modes like overlap can work, it's extremely useful to have a quick view reference for shaded wireframe.

Jumping back and forth between Shaded and Wireframe is a pain, and it seems odd that shaded wireframe for a scene is unavailable when "selection wireframe" under gizmos works fine.

Thank you!

18. JukeBoxDelta

JukeBoxDelta

I just upgraded to URP and am really disappointed that this feature is missing. My entire game is mesh generation and without seeing textures and vertices all at once, it's going to take a lot longer to debug.

craftsmanbeck likes this.
  19. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

@SebLagarde Hi. So if HDRP and URP does not support Shaded Wireframe and Overdraw view mode, how to profile rendering performance? especially, Overdraw is useful for profiling ParticleSystem and Occlusion Culling.

Any other solution?

20. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

They added support for this on Unity 2020.2. From current alpha changelog:
    I've used it for a while now and it's fully functional but you need to use 2020.2+.

Starboxx likes this.
  22. StrategyTron

StrategyTron

Can you please describe to us how to do this? I got the alpha, and I've looked at ScriptableRenderContext.DrawWireOverlay in the scripting API, but it doesn't explain how to use it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  23. samy99

samy99

use like this:
    public void Render(ScriptableRenderContext context, Camera cam)
    {

this.context = context;
    this.camera = cam;

#if UNITY_EDITOR
    if (camera.cameraType == CameraType.SceneView)
    {
    ScriptableRenderContext.EmitWorldGeometryForSceneView(camera);
    }
    #endif

if (!Cull())
    {
    return;
    }

Setup();

Draw();

#if UNITY_EDITOR
    if (camera.cameraType == CameraType.SceneView)
    context.DrawWireOverlay(camera);
    DrawGizmos();
    #endif
    Submit();

}