Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SRP and custom renderers

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by BadFoolPrototype, Jul 26, 2018.

1. BadFoolPrototype

BadFoolPrototype

Hello everyone!
    I am back to Unity after 3 years, a lot have changed!
    I am in the process of porting my rendering tech (fully custom 3D pipeline) to use SRP as hook to have a complete control over what is rendered.
    I would like to know a couple of things that I tried to search but did not found.
    Possibly I did not search in the right spots!

1) How platform compatible is the new SRP ? I don't want to lose all the compatibility because I am overriding the pipeline from scratch, but I am not sure if the new Pipelines have the same output on different hardware (PC, PS4, Switch..).

2) I seem not to find or understand how to write a custom renderer that can be culled by the culling https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Experimental.Rendering.CullResults.html.
    Again, I did not find any proper informations and that is why I am writing here.
    Is there an example for a custom rendered that can be culled ?

Thank you a LOT!

2. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

The core SRP is platform agnostic, it will run anywhere. What you _do_ with SRP may only run on certain platforms though. For example the HD pipe we have needs compute so it won't run on a mali 400 for example.

SRP doesn't allow for the creation of custom renderers, you still need to use the existing unity mesh, skinned mesh, particles and similar. In the distant future we really want custom renderers.