Search Unity

Resolved SRP Adoption Rate

Discussion in 'SRP Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by LaireonGames, Sep 29, 2022.

1. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

Since it is now being talked more openly about the end of Built In it leads me to a question.

What is the current adoption rate for projects for in regards to their rendering pipeline?

I don't have a specific metric in mind but something along the lines of what % of DAU are using Built-In vs URP vs HDRP

sabojako likes this.
  2. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

Hey! To give you a high-level idea, with 21LTS, around 30% of projects are already utilizing and building on SRPs. And this number has been increasing in each version we release as we improve the SRPs further with new features and better workflows and documentation. The growth is also organic, and Built-in is still our entry point 2D/3D pipeline in the hub. So these projects are opting in to use SRPs. If you are wondering about the successes of customer projects using URP and HDRP, here are some examples of amazing ones:

URP:
    Lost In Random, Circuit Super Stars, Neon White, The Spirit And The Mouse, HEROish, Wild Arena Survivors, Crash Bandicoot: On the Run!
    HDRP: V Rising, Construction Simulator, Slime Rancher 2, Hardspace Shipbreaker, Disciples Revolution, I am Fish, Syberia The World Before, Metal: Hellsinger
    URP & HDRP: Lego Builder’s Journey, Road 96
    Full Custom SRP: Human Kind, OlliOlli World, Rollerdrome, Ori: Will of the Wisps

And there are many more, and I am only sharing titles where the information about SRP usage is publicly available.

Now to answer the other part about URP vs. HDRP. The more significant share of these projects is URP, but there are reasons for that. URP's goal has been to provide functional parity with Built-in; it's more familiar to adopt and learn for Built-in users. URP also scales to all platform Unity supports, but URP lacks the cutting-edge fidelity HDRP provides on PC and consoles. And it will stay that way as URP's focus is different. We will address this shortcoming and reduce the cost for cross-platform games that would want the fidelity of HDRP on high-end and optimal quality and performance of URP on other platforms, including mobile, through coexistence and improving the compatibility between the two pipelines. This means that users no longer have to sacrifice quality on high-end for platform reach, which will balance URP vs. HDRP adoption as well. The end goal is really about SRPs vs Built-in really ;).
    (You can read more about our vision and plans in our recent post here).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  3. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

Thanks for that :)

So this leads me to another question. Does Unity have an adoption rate in mind that it considers acceptable before Built-In is officially deprecated?

I know a Unity version/date was mentioned in one of the blog posts as the aim for deprecating Built In, what I am really asking is that when we get to that point will Unity only pull the plug if it has an adoption > X.

4. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

We have an adoption rate target as a measuring tool and more of a guideline. But this is a guideline, and we have other factors we track in practice, such as customer and asset store feedback, to ensure we are not leaving them behind and not lacking the things they need for their use cases. For URP, performance against built-in is also crucial, so we have goals for that. We also look at bug reports and stability. We believe we will hit our targets in 23, but I don't want to promise anything here as we will have to hit our targets first. In the blog post, we mentioned we would not deprecate Built-in in 23 versions to ensure ample time for people to make the move.

5. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

That makes sense, I can appreciate that many factors would go into this decision.

Would you be willing to share what the current adoption rate target is for 23?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  6. AljoshaD

AljoshaD

Unity Technologies

Building on Ali's comments. First we'll make SRP the default and before we do that we have clear functionality, performance, documentation and robustness targets. Once it is default we'll see a huge increase in adoption automatically. We'll then need to track the adoption and user satisfaction and take the full ecosystem into account before we can deprecate.

LaireonGames likes this.