Search Unity

SRDebugger - On-Device Console, Options Panel, and Bug Reporter.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Simie, Feb 7, 2015.

1. polycular

polycular

ah great I'll try this...
    thx,robert

2. Simie

Simie

Hey everyone! SRDebugger version 1.3.0 has just been accepted on the Asset Store.

I've updated all the screenshots and descriptions on the store page to include all the latest features, and the documentation has been reorganised and expanded to include the profiler, bug reporter and new API methods (the README now only contains a quick-start guide, the online documentation will be the comprehensive guide from now on).

Also, I've recently released my latest asset TypeSafe. If you're interested in improving the robustness of your code by removing magic-strings, you might want to check it out!

Since we're on a new page in this thread I'll copy the change notes for this version here:

----------

New:
    - Profiler can now be docked. Enable by pressing the "pin" icon on profiler tab or via API (SRDebug.Instance.IsProfilerDocked), or via keyboard shortcuts
    - Resize docked profiler by dragging edges
    - Added IncrementAttribute for use with SROptions, used to specify how much a number will be incremented/decremented when buttons are pressed
    - Can disable specific tabs in SRDebugger settings
    - Added "Runtime" and "Display" categories to system tab (this information is also sent with bug reports)
    - Support for Unity 5.2

Changes:
    - Namespace remaining code in SRF library to avoid conflicts. (If you're using any of this code you may need to import SRF namespace in your files)

Fixes:
    - Fixed opacity on docked console not resetting after failed resize drag
    - Truncate long log messages to improve performance and prevent UGUI errors

tosiabunio likes this.
  3. neuecc

neuecc

Thank you for update!

By the way, new feature "Enabled Tabs" break tab extensibility.
    I found that tab prefab put under `SRDebugger/Prefabs/Tabs` can add my original tab.
    But after 1.3.0 causes exception.

---
    ArgumentException: The requested value 'MyOriginalTab' was not found.
    System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Enum.cs:692)
    System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Enum.cs:547)
    SRDebugger.Scripts.DebuggerTabController.Start () (at Assets/Externals/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/UI/DebuggerTabController.cs:61)
    ---

Simply workaround, add MyOriginalTab to DefaultTabs of Settings.cs.
    However, I do not want to modify your framework code if possible(because difficult to update).

Would you fix this problem?

4. Simie

Simie

@neuecc, sorry about that. I didn't think to check if it would work with non-standard tabs. I'll include a fix in the next update.

If you don't mind me asking, what does your custom tab do? I'm very curious!

5. neuecc

neuecc

Thank you!

I don't not think much of my custom tab, it is clone of your bug reporter.
    Send to my log collect server with screenshot, selected log(from console), my specified parameters(UserId etc...)

6. Simie

Simie

I just had a thought about your request a while ago to support classes other than SROptions for populating the options tab. This is unsupported and I can't guarantee it won't change or break in a future update, but if you use the Scan() method present in the internal options service it should appear in the options tab, like so...

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using SRDebugger.Internal;
    4. public class AddCustomOptions : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    7.     void Awake()
    8.     {
    10.         var myObject = new object();
    11.         Service.Options.Scan(myObject);
    13.     }
    16. }
    As long as you call this before the options tab is first opened it should appear there.

7. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Simie
    After playing SRDebugger for a while, I am considering using it to replace my own ugly ad-hoc in-game tweaking GUIs.

Here are some little suggestions below for SRDebugger.

Maybe there must be some way to change the layout of pinned SROption GUIs. They are automatically organized on bottom right of the screen, which, sometimes, interferes with my in game GUIs.

If changing layout of SROption GUIs is a non-trivial new feature, maybe users like me can use SROption Tab in full screen mode. In full screen mode, I suggest that the "Configuration -> Display -> Background Transparency" is a SliderBar (instead of a simple Bool) which indicates the value of alpha channel of Display Background.

In addition, maybe adding a choice of "Double Tap" to "Configuration -> Panel Access -> Trigger Behaviour" also helps.

8. Simie

Simie

Hi @Dan2013, thanks for your suggestions!

I'm working on a way of configuring the layout of pinned items (console, profiler, options) for the next update. Watch this space!

I'll also add a Double Tap option for the trigger.

9. Dan2013

Dan2013

Awesome! Thanks! :D

10. phoenixrising

phoenixrising

I have a feature request which I think you can do somewhat easily as it appears you already have the functionality within the profiler.

The feature is to add a graph for a variable which is constantly changing so I can see graphically the variables numbers over time, this would be especially useful for me on a mobile device!

Thanks

11. YuriyVotintsev

YuriyVotintsev

[Feature request]
    I want to show FPS pinned in corner, but currently i can do it only with profiler graph. Graph is huge even if has minimal size and i don't need it everytime i want to know fps. I want an option to show only FPS without graph.

12. YuriyVotintsev

YuriyVotintsev

And one question: Why DisplayName attribute not works with methods?

13. Simie

Simie

I'll see what I can do here. It might not make it into the next version, but probably the one after that.

This is a bug. Fix coming in the next version!

I like this idea. I've added it to the roadmap to investigate further. No promises it'll make it, but I'll look into it!

14. Simie

Simie

Hey folks, here are some preview images from the new Settings window in SRDebugger version 1.4.0, which I'm just finishing up and will be submitting sometime this week.

Also, our asset TypeSafe is available for 35% off in the Sensible sale this week on the Asset Store. Check it out!

movra and tosiabunio like this.
  15. Simie

Simie

SRDebugger version 1.4.0 has been submitted to the asset store. Changelog is below as usual. Also, I will be away over the weekend from Friday to Monday evening, so I may be a bit delayed dealing with any support requests during that time. Sorry in advance.

----------

New:
    - Brand new Settings window with more intuitive layout and tabbed interface.
    - Added "Welcome" window that opens on first import to help first-time users.
    - Can now customize the docked tools layout from the new settings window.
    - Docked console alignment can be adjusted from the API (SRDebug.Instance.DockConsole.Alignment).
    - Added new "Double Tap" mode for entry trigger.
    - (EXPERIMENTAL) Added PlayMaker actions package (Open bug report sheet, Open/Close debug panel, Dock/Undock Console/Profiler, Enable/Disable trigger, etc).

Changes:
    - Keyboard shortcuts can now have modifier keys set per-shortcut, instead of only for all shortcuts.
    - Bug reporter signup form now provides more helpful error messages.

Fixes:
    - Stack trace area no longer jumps to the bottom of the scroll area when selecting a log entry.
    - DisplayName attribute now works correctly on methods in SROptions.
    - Bug reporter progress bar no longer only fills half-way when submitting bug reports.
    - Exception no longer occurs when opening debug panel if you have a custom tab.
    - Fixed intertia in scroll views not being enabled when on mobile platforms.

Dan2013 and tosiabunio like this.
  16. Simie

Simie

Version 1.4.0 has been approved and is available for download!

tosiabunio likes this.
  17. Atrixx

Atrixx

Hello! This package seems to be incompatible with Unity 5.2.1 :(

The main issue being with SRF,
    SRF.UI.Layout.VirtualVerticalLayoutGroup' does not implement interface member `UnityEngine.UI.ICanvasElement.GraphicUpdateComplete()'

18. Simie

Simie

@Atrixx, are you using the latest version? I've just tried importing SRDebugger 1.4.0 into a Unity 5.2.1 project and it seems to work fine.

19. Simie

Simie

@Atrixx, I've had another user report that error when using 5.2.1p1. I've made an updated .cs file that simply implements some new methods that Unity added in the latest patch. I can't update the asset store package with this fix as there is no way to test for patch releases in compiler defines, so it would break compatibility with 5.2.1f1.

Here is the updated file: http://hastebin.com/wiharawuja.cs

Replacing the contents of the file containing the errors with that file should fix the issue.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  20. figbash

figbash

Hi, I am using 5.2.1p2 and I'm using your updated CS, however I cannot see SRDebugger panels. When I click on any of them, like SideBar, it has a script warning that says "The associated script can not be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script."
    I have no compile errors, any ideas?

21. Simie

Simie

@figbash, there might be a compiler error hiding in the editor log. Could you upload your editor log to pastebin.com and PM me the URL?

22. Simie

Simie

Hey folks, I've submitted a small bug fix release with compatibility for the latest version of Unity 5.

----------

Fixes:
    - Bug reporter tab no longer requests pin entry after taking screenshot when "require pin every time" enabled.
    - Compile fixes for Unity 5.2.2

23. dylanbevis

dylanbevis

Hi I've just imported the latest version and I'm getting the following compile errors:

Assets/StompyRobot/SRF/Scripts/UI/Layout/VirtualVerticalLayoutGroup.cs(26,22): error CS0738: `SRF.UI.Layout.VirtualVerticalLayoutGroup' does not implement interface member `UnityEngine.UI.ICanvasElement.LayoutComplete()' and the best implementing candidate `SRF.UI.Layout.VirtualVerticalLayoutGroup.Rebuild(UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdate)' return type `void' does not match interface member return type `void'

Assets/StompyRobot/SRF/Scripts/UI/Layout/VirtualVerticalLayoutGroup.cs(26,22): error CS0535: `SRF.UI.Layout.VirtualVerticalLayoutGroup' does not implement interface member `UnityEngine.UI.ICanvasElement.GraphicUpdateComplete()'

Using Unity 5.2.1p2

Cheers

24. Simie

Simie

Hi @dylanbevis,

The patch I posted a bit further up in the thread should fix the issue. The latest version I've submitted for approval will have this patch included. Hopefully that will be approved soon.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  25. radimoto

radimoto

Hi Simie, thought I'd test SR Debugger on Unity 5.3.0b4 (Windows 10). After importing I'm getting the following errors:

Assets/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/UI/Controls/ConsoleEntryView.cs(5,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Layout' does not exist in the namespace `SRF.UI'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/UI/Controls/ConsoleEntryView.cs(13,60): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `IVirtualView' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/UI/Controls/ConsoleLogControl.cs(5,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Layout' does not exist in the namespace `SRF.UI'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/UI/Other/PinnedUIRoot.cs(2,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Layout' does not exist in the namespace `SRF.UI'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/UI/Tabs/ConsoleTabController.cs(8,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Layout' does not exist in the namespace `SRF.UI'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

26. Simie

Simie

@radimoto, it looks like Unity has removed a compiler define that I'd been using to detect the new Unity UI system. If you add ENABLE_4_6_FEATURES to the compiler defines field in your player settings it should fix that error.

Since SRDebugger doesn't actually support any Unity version without the new UI features I can remove all the checks anyway. I'll do that in the next update!

Thanks for the report.

27. radimoto

radimoto

Thanks @Simie - all working now. There were also about another 15 to 20 scripts that also needed the compiler define.

28. Simie

Simie

SRDebugger 1.4.1 is now available for download on the Asset Store!

----------

Fixes:
    - Bug reporter tab no longer requests pin entry after taking screenshot when "require pin every time" enabled.
    - Compile fixes for Unity 5.2.2

29. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

Hi Simie

it's not yet possibile to open the Options docked by code, right?
    i would just like to show some selected properties automatically by script at startup!

thank you!

30. Simie

Simie

Hi @krur, there is no "public" API for this, but the solution I posted here using the internal API works fine.

StefanoCecere likes this.
  31. Simie

Simie

Hey folks, with Unity 5.3.0 just around the corner I've put together an update to ensure compatibility with it. I've just submitted it for approval today, and the changelog is below:

----------

Changes:
    - Compatability with Unity 5.3.0.
    - Performance improvements when scrolling console log.

Fixes:
    - Profiler no longer stops updating when a camera in the scene is disabled.

Known Issues:
    - On Unity 5.3.0f1 and 5.3.0f2, errors are printed when resizing the docked console and profiler. This is a Unity bug and should be fixed in a future Unity update. See this page for details.

tosiabunio likes this.
  32. Simie

Simie

1.4.2 has been approved and is now live on the asset store!

33. milox777

milox777

Hi, I'm getting these build errors on Windows Store:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\StompyRobot\SRF\Scripts\Components\SRMonoBehaviourEx.cs(150,47): error CS1061: 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Reflection.FieldInfo>' does not contain a definition for 'Where' and no extension method 'Where' accepting a first argument of type 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Reflection.FieldInfo>' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    5. Assets\StompyRobot\SRDebugger\Scripts\Settings.cs(347,32): error CS0117: 'System.Array' does not contain a definition for 'AsReadOnly'
    9. Assets\StompyRobot\SRDebugger\Scripts\UI\Controls\Data\EnumControl.cs(81,16): error CS1061: 'System.Type' does not contain a definition for 'GetTypeInfo' and no extension method 'GetTypeInfo' accepting a first argument of type 'System.Type' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

34. Simie

Simie

My apologies, it looks like there were some "using" statements that were removed by mistake during refactoring. I'll PM you a link to an updated build with them included soon.

35. Simie

Simie

SRDebugger version 1.4.3 has just been approved and is available on the asset store. It fixes the build errors that @milox88 was experiencing on Windows Store platforms.

milox777 likes this.
  36. Simie

Simie

Hello everyone! Unity 5.3 has been released, but it didn't include the fix for the known issue I posted about above.

SRDebugger is still compatible with Unity 5.3, but there will be errors printed to the console when resizing any docked tools (profiler, console) until Unity releases a patch.

Known Issues:
    - On Unity 5.3.0f4, errors are printed when resizing the docked console and profiler. This is a Unity bug and should be fixed in a future Unity update. See this page for details.

37. djfrail

djfrail

I'm running on an Android tablet and trying to print to the console by calling a function through the SRDebugger options menu like so:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void PrintBuildTimeToConsole()
    2. {
    3.     Debug.Log("Blah blah debug text");
    4. }
    This used to work but doesn't anymore. I checked with logcat and the Debug.Log statement is getting printed there, but it's not showing in the SRDebugger console. Any ideas where to check for the problem?

I'm using Unity 4.6.9 and SRDebugger 1.4.1

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  38. Simie

Simie

Hi @djfrail,

Is it only in that situation where logging is failing, or are all logs missing? If the latter I'd suspect that somewhere in your codebase is another method being set as the Application LogCallback (see docs), which would prevent SRDebugger from receiving any log messages (I know Google Analytics does this).

If the former, did this only start happening after an update to SRDebugger or Unity?

EDIT: Also, does this happen in the editor?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  39. genail

genail

Hello @Simie,

I believe I found a bug in CreateDefaultEventSystem() code (Util.cs):

There's a #if like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_4 || UNITY_5_0 || UNITY_5_1 || UNITY_5_2
    2.             go.AddComponent<TouchInputModule>();
    3. #endif
    But on Unity 4.6.9 (and most probably earlier versions too) there's no UNITY_4 symbol defined. In result your tool won't work on touch devices on these Unity versions. This will work:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_4_6 || UNITY_5_0 || UNITY_5_1 || UNITY_5_2
    2.             go.AddComponent<TouchInputModule>();
    3. #endif
    Also please consider using UNITY_5 symbol (yes, it exists :) ) instead of *_5_0, _5_1 etc.

Anyway I see that you're distributing the latest version for Unity 4.6.9 and above. Maybe this check is not needed anymore?

Cheers!
    Piotr

Simie likes this.
  40. Simie

Simie

Hi @genail, thanks for the report.

The compiler check is there because the TouchInputModule is deprecated in Unity 5.3, so needs to be enabled only for versions earlier than that. It's more futureproof to disable known old versions than update the package for every new version!

I didn't notice the lack of a UNITY_4 definition. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have it fixed in an update soon!

Simon

41. genail

genail

Understood :)

@djfrail are you using Console Pro (or something similar)? On Unity 4 it's too easy to replace the default log callback with anything else, so most probably SRDebugger callback is disabled by it.

@Simie I'm getting an error when I am trying to send a bug report from iOS 9:

"Error sending bug report (THe resource coult not be loaded because the App Transport Security policy requires the use of a secure connection.)"

I am aware that from iOS 9 Apple is forcing any external connection to use SSL transport. Is there a way around it?

42. Simie

Simie

That is strange, I just tried sending a bug report from an iOS9 device and it worked fine. Is this with Unity 5?

In any case, if you look in StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/Internal/Api.cs you can modify the protocol to use https to see if that works. I've had it disabled due to bugs with Unity's WWW class in the past.

I'd modify line #5 to this:
    #if (UNITY_IOS || UNITY_WEBPLAYER) && !UNITY_EDITOR

43. genail

genail

Unity 4.6.9.
    Working! Thanks! :)

Simie likes this.
  44. Simie

Simie

SRDebugger 1.4.4 has been submitted for approval, here is the change list:

----------

Changes:
    - Support for Bug Reporter on WebGL platform.
    - Enabled HTTPS for bug reporter on iOS to comply with TLS restrictions.
    - Documented pin entry API, and deprecated an obsolete parameter. (See documentation for example of how to use pin entry API)

Fixes:
    - TouchInputModule is now added to default event system on Unity 4, allowing touch input to be recognised by SRDebugger.
    - Welcome window no longer causes errors on Unity 4.

Known Issues:

- On Unity 5.3.0f4, errors are printed when resizing the docked console and profiler. This is a Unity bug and should be fixed in a future Unity update. See http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/iss...t-transform-width-in-layout-element-component for details.

45. djfrail

djfrail

Did further testing on this and found that console output works on Android device up until this call in my code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. CrashReporting.Init("longserialnumberIEditedOut", AppParameters.Get.bundleVersion, playerStatsData.playerName);
    If I comment that out, SRDbeugger works fine with outputting to the console.
    That call is to Unity's Game Performance Reporting thing.

46. Simie

Simie

I see. It looks like that code is overriding the SRDebugger log callback. Do you have source access to the package that CrashReporting type is defined in?

47. djfrail

djfrail

I think there's just a dll for that stuff - UnityEngine.CrashLog.dll.

48. Simie

Simie

Ah I see - that is the init call for the Game Performance Reporting Service, then? Without source code access it likely won't be possible to work around this problem.

In Unity 5 there it is possible for more than one callback to receive log messages, but on Unity 4 only one method can subscribe to receive them at a time. So when the Unity crash reporter subscribes, it overwrites the SRDebugger callback. I've written a wrapper you can use to support multiple subscribers on Unity 4 but without source access it isn't possible to update the usage in their code to use this wrapper.

So, I'm afraid you may have to choose between using SRDebugger or the Unity service. Sorry about that.

The wrapper, if you are interested:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // To use this code you would replace any calls to Application.RegisterLogCallback(...) in your project with ApplicationEx.logMessageReceived += ...;
    2. public static class ApplicationEx
    3. {
    5.     public static event Application.LogCallback logMessageReceived;
    7.     static ApplicationEx()
    8.     {
    9.         Application.RegisterLogCallback(LogCallback);
    10.     }
    12.     private static void LogCallback(string condition, string stackTrace, LogType type)
    13.     {
    15.         if (logMessageReceived != null)
    16.             logMessageReceived(condition, stackTrace, type);
    18.     }
    20. }

49. djfrail

djfrail

No worries - good to know what the problem is.

50. Simie

Simie

SRDebugger 1.4.4 is approved and now live on the Asset Store.

----------

Changes:
    - Support for Bug Reporter on WebGL platform.
    - Enabled HTTPS for bug reporter on iOS to comply with TLS restrictions.
    - Documented pin entry API, and deprecated an obsolete parameter. (See documentation for example of how to use pin entry API)

Fixes:
    - TouchInputModule is now added to default event system on Unity 4, allowing touch input to be recognised by SRDebugger.
    - Welcome window no longer causes errors on Unity 4.

Known Issues:

- On Unity 5.3.0f4, errors are printed when resizing the docked console and profiler. This is a Unity bug and should be fixed in a future Unity update. See this page for details.