Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SRDebugger - On-Device Console, Options Panel, and Bug Reporter.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Simie, Feb 7, 2015.

1. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, is SRDebugger going to support the new input system?

2. Meatloaf4

Meatloaf4

As of Unity 2019.3.4 I'm getting an error for the latest version of SRDebugger (1.9.0).

Null Reference with a reference to the `_trigger.ErrorNotifier`

-- Edit --

For anyone else with this issue I was able to resolve it by doing the following.

I went ahead and deleted my library folder, deleted SRDebugger & reimported (from package manager) and everything seemed to work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    tosiabunio and Simie like this.
  3. Simie

Simie

Hi, SRDebugger uses the UGUI input system, which I assume will be compatible with the new input system.

4. Simie

Simie

Ah I see what you mean. Unfortunately editing lists and arrays is not supported - I've added it to my potential feature list, but no guarantee it will make it in.

If you want to try implementing it yourself you can see the code for the existing controls in:
    Assets\StompyRobot\SRDebugger\Scripts\UI\Controls\

The behaviours in that folder are attached to prefabs in this folder:
    Assets\StompyRobot\SRDebugger\Resources\SRDebugger\UI\Prefabs

If you place new prefabs in that same resources path, they will be automatically detected by SRDebugger.

For example, you could place them in Assets\Resources\SRDebugger\UI\Prefabs\ to avoid problems in case you need to reimport or update SRDebugger.

I hope this helps.

There is a UI scale option in the settings menu that might help your users:

Can I ask which fonts in particular are hard to read?

JVLVince likes this.
  5. JVLVince

JVLVince

Thanks for your reply I will take a look at that to customize my control. Nice asset anyway. :D

6. zhuchun

zhuchun

Unfortunately, it's not.
    Luckily, it seems only one script needs to be fixed and I made it within a few mins.

1. Unity has a migration page here, https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.inputsystem@1.0/manual/Migration.html

2. For people who is using the new input system, add Unity.InputSystem to StompyRobot.SRDebugger asmdef references.

3. Replace KeyboardShortcutListenerService.Update
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if ENABLE_INPUT_SYSTEM
    2.         protected override void Update()
    3.         {
    4.             base.Update();
    6.             if (Settings.Instance.KeyboardEscapeClose && Keyboard.current.escapeKey.wasPressedThisFrame && Service.Panel.IsVisible)
    7.             {
    8.                 SRDebug.Instance.HideDebugPanel();
    9.             }
    11.             var ctrl = Keyboard.current.leftCtrlKey.isPressed || Keyboard.current.rightCtrlKey.isPressed;
    12.             var alt = Keyboard.current.leftAltKey.isPressed || Keyboard.current.rightAltKey.isPressed;
    13.             var shift = Keyboard.current.leftShiftKey.isPressed || Keyboard.current.rightShiftKey.isPressed;
    15.             for (var i = 0; i < _shortcuts.Count; i++)
    16.             {
    17.                 var s = _shortcuts[i];
    19.                 if (s.Control && !ctrl)
    20.                 {
    21.                     continue;
    22.                 }
    24.                 if (s.Shift && !shift)
    25.                 {
    26.                     continue;
    27.                 }
    29.                 if (s.Alt && !alt)
    30.                 {
    31.                     continue;
    32.                 }
    34.                 if (((KeyControl)Keyboard.current[s.Key.ToString()]).wasPressedThisFrame)
    35.                 {
    36.                     ExecuteShortcut(s);
    37.                     break;
    38.                 }
    39.             }
    40.         }
    41. #endif
    42. #if ENABLE_LEGACY_INPUT_MANAGER
    43.         protected override void Update()
    44.         {
    45.             base.Update();
    47.             if (Settings.Instance.KeyboardEscapeClose && Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Escape) && Service.Panel.IsVisible)
    48.             {
    49.                 SRDebug.Instance.HideDebugPanel();
    50.             }
    52.             var ctrl = Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftControl) || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightControl);
    53.             var alt = Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftAlt) || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightAlt);
    54.             var shift = Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftShift) || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightShift);
    56.             for (var i = 0; i < _shortcuts.Count; i++)
    57.             {
    58.                 var s = _shortcuts[i];
    60.                 if (s.Control && !ctrl)
    61.                 {
    62.                     continue;
    63.                 }
    65.                 if (s.Shift && !shift)
    66.                 {
    67.                     continue;
    68.                 }
    70.                 if (s.Alt && !alt)
    71.                 {
    72.                     continue;
    73.                 }
    75.                 if (Input.GetKeyDown(s.Key))
    76.                 {
    77.                     ExecuteShortcut(s);
    78.                     break;
    79.                 }
    80.             }
    81.         }
    82. #endif
    4. Window -> SRDebugger -> Settings Window -> Advanced, turn off automatic event system option, or go to Util.CreateDefaultEventSystem() and add InputSystemUIInputModule component to the gameobject instead #if ENABLE_INPUT_SYSTEM

I'm not sure if it's OK to post the source here, let me know and I will delete it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  7. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

Thanks, that worked for me as well. This was pretty annoying.

8. caglarenes

caglarenes

Hello. I'm using lastest (1.9.0) SRDebugger. If I changed "Managed Stripping Level" from low to medium or high, SRDebugger doesn't work. Is it normal? (tested with Unity 2019.3.6f1 - Android & WebGL IL2CPP build)

9. dlegare-synapse

dlegare-synapse

I believe I'm running into a bug with the new trigger notification functionality. If you have "Trigger Mode" set to "Off", but have the "Error Notification" field checked, SRDebugger will throw a
    NullReferenceException
    whenever an error is logged:

It seems like the source of the problem is in
    DebugTriggerImpl.OnEnable
    :

Code (CSharp):
    1. protected override void OnEnable()
    2. {
    3.     base.OnEnable();
    5.     if (Settings.Instance.ErrorNotification)
    6.     {
    7.         _consoleService = SRServiceManager.GetService<IConsoleService>();
    8.         _consoleService.Error += OnError;
    9.     }
    10. }
    The logic checks
    Settings.Instance.ErrorNotification
    but doesn't check if the trigger is enabled.

As a workaround for other folks who are running into this, make sure the "Error Notification" option in the settings window is disabled if you have the trigger mode set to "Off". To do this you can do the following:

1. Set "Trigger Mode" to "Enabled".
    2. Uncheck the "Error Notification" field.
    3. Set "Trigger Mode" back to "Off".
    Hopefully someone finds that helpful! :)

Simie and tosiabunio like this.
  10. miyacchi

miyacchi

Hi there,
    Do I need to do something to use "Managed stripping Level"?

SRDebugger doesn't work with Managed stripping Level = High, on iOS build.
    I figured out some classes are stripped which inherits IOptionService IDebugService.
    So, I added [Preserve] to inherited classes then I could see SRdebugger on iOS build.

But I couldn't touch any buttons on screen of Options tab.

Can I get any help?

11. Revolter

Revolter

The new error warning should be called on the Main Unity Thread btw

upload_2020-3-29_13-58-50.png

12. Simie

Simie

Hi Everyone, sorry for the delay replying, I wasn't receiving notifications for some reason.

Oh, I assuming you meant mouse/touch input. Yes you're right and thank you for posting the fixed code! I will include the fixes in the next update.

Thank you for the report + fix! I'll make sure the next update has that patched.

:facepalm: Of course. My mistake, I will get that fixed ASAP.

Hi there. SRDebugger makes use of quite a bit of reflection for the options panel + internals. I'll investigate whether tagging up certain classes with [Preserve] can help here, but I'm not sure this can be solved 100%. I'll let you know.

dlegare-synapse and zhuchun like this.
  13. Simie

Simie

SRDebugger 1.9.1 has been released and addresses most of the issues above:

----------

Fixed:
    - No longer auto-initializes when auto-initialization is disabled.
    - Improved support for higher levels of 'managed stripping' in AOT compiled platforms (IL2CPP)
    - Fix error notifier calling native Unity methods from background thread.
    - Fix number increment/decrement issues on non-english language platforms.

@miyacchi could you let me know if the latest release improves your experiecne with Managed stripping level set to high?

@zhuchun I have support for the new input system locally using the method you described in your post. I have it setup with an asmdef reference, but unfortunately in Unity 2017.4 a missing package reference is an error that fails the build. I would have to bump the minimum version of Unity to 2018.4 to get this to work on projects without the new input system enabled, so I didn't include it in this bug-fix release. Next update I will bump the min version to 2018.4 and include this fix.

zhuchun likes this.
  14. zhuchun

zhuchun

No problem, it's a hard decision. In fact, there're lots of legacy projects using Unity5 / 17LTS, I'm using the latest stable version though. The New Input System itself brokes almost every plugin and I can't fix all of them, but it's glad to see SRDebugger would make it compatible.

15. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@Simie Thanks for the great plugin. Is there a way to dynamically create a list of buttons at runtime each with a different name? For example "Spawn Enemy 1", "Spawn Enemy 2", etc, based on a list of enemies?

tosiabunio likes this.
  16. Mukabr

Mukabr

hey @Simie thanks for the great tool.

I was wondering if the notch "problem" is fixed by now.

Thanks!

17. miyacchi

miyacchi

@Simie
    I'm sorry for late response.
    > could you let me know if the latest release improves your experiecne with Managed stripping level set to high?
    No.
    I've tried latest release and previous version.
    Both are same behavior about button.

18. Simie

Simie

Hey, not right now I'm afraid. I'll add it to the todo list - shouldn't be too hard to allow dynamic properties like that.

Not yet unfortunately, will look into addressing this in an update soon.

Could you try placing a file named link.xml in Assets/StompyRobot/SROptions with this inside:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <linker>
    2.   <assembly fullname="Assembly-CSharp">
    3.     <type fullname="SROptions" preserve="all"/>
    4.   </assembly>
    5. </linker>
    And then running another build? (This is assuming you are using SROptions for your options rather than custom options containers)

19. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@Simie What's the best way to use the "OnPropertyChanged" event when using custom options containers?
    The way I've done it is by using:
    Code (csharp):
    1. SROptions.Current.OnPropertyChanged("propName")
    But that forces me to have a SROptions partial class in order to work.

20. Simie

Simie

Hey, just implement INotifyPropertyChanged and invoke the event when you make a change to a property.

luispedrofonseca likes this.
  21. zalogic

zalogic

Is anyone else having issues with SRDebugger rendering when used in a URP based project? (Universal Rendering Pipeline)

Weird glitches like:
    - on the iOS device the scrollable logs list is rendering above the top console buttons bar (with the pin, filter, etc buttons). In the Windows editor it renders ok. On an iPhone 6s the scrollable list is on top of everything else.

- in the Windows editor, typing in the console Filter textfield doesn't display any character.

And the list can go on because there are various bugs like these all over the place.
    Using Unity 2019.3.10f1.
    It also happens on Unity 19.3.8f1 and 19.3.9f1. I didn't manage to test on older versions.

22. miyacchi

miyacchi

I figured out that setter and getter of options has been stripped too.
    It works that I added [preserve] to them.

Thanks!

Simie likes this.
  23. Simie

Simie

Hi floky,

I tried to repro this by creating a new project in 2019.3.10f1 with the Universal Render Pipeline template. I imported SRDebugger and checked the console filter textfield and everything seemed ok.

Does this happen to you on a fresh project using URP? I'm wondering if there might be some other graphics settings that are causing this.

Best Regards,
    Simon

24. Revolter

Revolter

@Simie could you please make SROptions Editor Window update dynamically whenever you add/remove containers by code?

25. Revolter

Revolter

@Simie Current version of SRDebugger doesn't handle well double properties with huge values.

The error seems to happen in this part of the code (older version on the right)

26. Revolter

Revolter

27. Revolter

Revolter

Error itself:
    upload_2020-4-28_15-55-57.png

28. skcsinc

skcsinc

Hello,

We just purchased your system and it seems quite useful. I do have a couple of questions:
    - is there a way to alter the placement and characteristics of the FPS indicator (size, color, etc.)?
    - how can I continuously update the value shown for a custom read-only element shown in the Options panel (adding the "OnPropertyChange" method doesn't seem to do it)?

Looking forward to your response!

29. Simie

Simie

Hi!

1. When the FPS indicator is pinned, you can resize it by dragging on the corner. There is no way offical method for customising the colours, but if you want to dive in you can edit the prefabs as shown below.

They are located at:

Path: StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Resources/SRDebugger/UI/Prefabs/Tabs/Profiler

Component to edit:
    upload_2020-4-30_22-28-47.png

Path: StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Resources/SRDebugger/UI/PinnedUI

Component to edit:
    upload_2020-4-30_22-28-20.png

2. If you are invoking OnPropertyChanged() every time the value changes then the UI will update immeditely. Can you show me the code for your property if this isn't working?
    Thanks for the report, I will investigate this and look into a fix for the next update.
    Yes, I'll look into this for the next update.

30. skcsinc

skcsinc

Thank you for the quick response. I’ll have a look at the prefab for the FPS changes. Unfortunately I can’t show you our code but as a simple example imagine that a script is fetching some arbitrary value from a few different game objects in a continuous fashion and adding them up. I’d like to show that dynamically changing resultant value in the options panel. Can you provide a sample code snippet demonstrating how to do this?

31. skcsinc

skcsinc

I just tried pinning items and could successfully pin values from the Options tab but was unable to pin the FPS value from the Profiler tab despite the fact that the pin icon was usable. Am I meant to be able to do that? If not is there a way using your system to pin the FPS value?

32. skcsinc

skcsinc

I think I got the continuous update working though in order to update the value from another script I have to assign the value and thereby need to have the Option element be non read-only. How can I make the element read-only and update it's value?

33. JHSV

JHSV

When will SRDebugger support UI Elements? On the Unity Asset Store description, it doesn't mention that UI Elements is supported.

34. Revolter

Revolter

Honest question, what would be the advantage of that for SR Debugger?

35. Huacanacha

Huacanacha

Compatibility. UI Toolkit canvas is rendered over UGUI elements, so SRDebugger is not usable in UI Toolkit (formerly UI Elements) projects without custom workarounds.

Given UI Toolkit is not yet in preview mode I wouldn't expect support yet, but it would be nice to know if there is planned support for using SRDebugger in UI Toolkit projects in some form (a native UI Toolkit option, or functionality to make the current UGUI design work with UI Toolkit).

36. James15478

James15478

Hi @Simie ! Great tool :) I was wondering if it's possible to create or change the pin to open SR Debugger at runtime?

37. James15478

James15478

38. Simie

Simie

Hi James, sorry for the delay repyling.

Do you mean the trigger button? There is no way to change this button's behaviour at runtime - you can implement your own button if you wish and use the SRDebugger API to open/close the debug panel.

For anyone asking about UI Elements, it is of course something I am keeping an eye on but as it's currently a preview feature I have not made any decision about whether to convert the SRDebugger UI over.

39. James15478

James15478

Hi @Simie thanks for the reply. What I meant was, is it possible to change the pin number at runtime to unlock the debug panel?

40. Revolter

Revolter

@Simie is there a way to hide a void method from appearing in Option Container? I am forced to use public void Initialize() method (part of the IInitializable Zenject interface) in the script and I don't want it to appear in the cheats list

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  41. Revolter

Revolter

@Simie one more request :)

I'm initializing SRDebugger manually in Unity 2019.4 with the new PlayModeOptions to speed up start time and get this error. Are you planning to support this?
    upload_2020-6-3_19-30-37.png

42. lastlevel

lastlevel

@Simie Thanks for the cool asset, been using it for years. I was wondering, is there a way to have a second Options Tab? Or more tabs for categorisation of different functions? Thanks!

43. Simie

Simie

Oh, I see. No, this is not currently possible, but shouldn't be hard to add. I'll put it on the todo list.

Also not hard to add - have put on the todo list!

This should be have been supported since SRDebugger 1.9.0, but perhaps there is a difference in your use-case that I missed. I'll take a look, thanks for the report.

I have some ideas for new features in the options tab, including more categorisation etc, however don't have any eta or timeline for them I'm afraid.

44. RDeluxe

RDeluxe

Hi there ! Great asset, helps a lot for mobile development !

Using the last version of SRdebugger, I saw that many static fields were not cleaned correctly to be compatible with Unity Domain Reload.

You only reset the _hasQuit var in SRServiceManager, it is because resetting the other variables is useless ?

Also, I created manually an asmdef file for the SROptions folder, any reason why I shouldn't ?

45. Simie

Simie

Hi RDelux,

Sorry for the late reply.

The reason no other variables are reset is because the list of services is rebuilt on startup (so the leftover list should be cleared when play mode is entered again). Is this causing an issue for you?

Re. the SROptions folder, there is no asmdef to maintain compatibility with users of SRDebugger before asmdef was introduced. As partial classes can only be used from within the same assembly, in order to extend the SROptions class from the Assembly-Csharp project it cannot be in an asmdef file.

If you have no usages of SROptions in your project (for example, if you add your option contains via the SRDebug api instead), then there is no reason not to place SROptions into an asmdef or even delete it outright.

46. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Hi!

Fantastic asset so far :)

I'm wondering if there is a way to dynamically add options, specifically methods, that are not statically defined at compile time.

I understand how to add a container object, but I would actually like to add and remove options individually based on my game state and data.

I would be able to do it with slight modifications and using internal methods -- making SRDebug.Internal.Service.Options.Options point to a non-readonly collection and adding entries there.

But is there an official way of doing that which I'm missing?

47. Simie

Simie

Hi Ludiq, thanks for using SRDebugger!

This has been requested before and is on the todo list. I intend to add API methods to the SRDebug class for adding/removing options, but all they would do internally is add/remove from the list you have already found. If you want to make those modifications yourself in the mean time, feel free!

Regards,
    Simon

48. hengineer

hengineer

Thanks for this awesome tool!
    Is there an easy way to make the default values of SROptions editable in the inspector (at edit time)? I have a few toggles that I'd like to persist between runs (eg. enable sounds, skip cutscenes, etc.) but also have available at runtime.

49. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

Hey there,
    I'm having some trouble in a new empty project on 2020.1.0f1 with domain reload disabled.
    I see a fix for something like this in the change log on 2019.3. Did 2020 break it?
    Is there any quick fix I can do?

Edit: I see revolter above is having the same issue. For me, this is a brand new project, I'm just adding my favourite utils and setting things up :).

Code (csharp):
    1. MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Transform' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    2. Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    3. SRDebugger.Services.Implementation.SRDebugService..ctor () (at Assets/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/Services/Implementation/SRDebugService.cs:88)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.InternalInvoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.InternalInvoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    7. System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceMono (System.Boolean nonPublic) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    8. System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow (System.Boolean publicOnly, System.Boolean skipCheckThis, System.Boolean fillCache, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark& stackMark) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    9. System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor (System.Boolean publicOnly, System.Boolean skipCheckThis, System.Boolean fillCache, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark& stackMark) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    10. System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, System.Boolean nonPublic) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    11. System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    12. SRF.Service.SRServiceManager.DefaultServiceConstructor (System.Type serviceIntType, System.Type implType) (at Assets/StompyRobot/SRF/Scripts/Service/SRServiceManager.cs:376)
    13. SRF.Service.SRServiceManager.AutoCreateService (System.Type t) (at Assets/StompyRobot/SRF/Scripts/Service/SRServiceManager.cs:334)
    14. SRF.Service.SRServiceManager.GetServiceInternal (System.Type t) (at Assets/StompyRobot/SRF/Scripts/Service/SRServiceManager.cs:113)
    15. SRF.Service.SRServiceManager.GetService[T] () (at Assets/StompyRobot/SRF/Scripts/Service/SRServiceManager.cs:66)
    16. SRDebug.Init () (at Assets/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/SRDebug.cs:20)
    17. SRDebugger.AutoInitialize.OnLoad () (at Assets/StompyRobot/SRDebugger/Scripts/AutoInitialize.cs:34)
    Cheers.

zalogic likes this.
  50. Gigacee

Gigacee

Same problem in Unity 2019.4.8f1, Reload Domain is disable.

This error seems to be caused by the cache.

I added
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Cache.Clear()
    in Assets/StompyRobot/SRF/Scripts/Helpers/Hierarchy.cs and it works fine :)

upload_2020-8-18_14-0-58.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Shinyclef likes this.