Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

squiggly red lines in VS2017

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by wendymorrison, Jan 24, 2019.

1. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi, I have just noticed that I get squiggly red lines even if I just create a plain C# script.
    squigglylines.JPG

I have no idea what's happening. It's also the latest version of unity.

2. palex-nx

palex-nx

It should show you a hint if you'll point your cursor on the underlined symbol.

3. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Yeah, but it never did this in earlier unity versions. Red squiggly lines usually mean there are errors in the script but as people that know how to script can see it is just a start script that has nothing I have added in it. All I did was right click and create C# script and gave it a name. Mind you I don't code but I do know that this script doesn't have any errors in it.

4. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

I tried an earlier version of unity which is 2017 4.8 and there are no squiggly red lines. Although this version of unity I have never had a problem with but later ones I have.

5. palex-nx

palex-nx

So what the hint says? It might be just code style warning or something like this.

6. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

It just says predefined 'System.Void' is not defined or imported. I have no idea what it means.

7. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

I have worked out this only happens to 2018 3.0f2 and 2018 3.1f1. No earlier versions of unity do this.

8. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@wendymorrison It means you are missing the .NET SDK or target framework. Depending on your setup and used libraries download and install the versions from here (.NET core sdk+framework). Also close VS while installing and reopen once done.
    https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/visual-studio-sdks

One of .NET core 2.0, 4.7.0, 4.7.1 or 4.7.2 is likely missing. Update VS to get the framework as it is included in newer versions (as listed)

9. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

I have VS2017. So is there a newer one than that because it came with Unity 2018.3 and onwards.

10. Suddoha

Suddoha

It does not necessarily mean the framework is not installed, it may also happen when the project file is either corrupted, or in some cases, when an exported project has not yet been built.

The former can often be fixed by forcing Unity to re-create the solution and the linked projects. Deploying the project can help sometimes, too.

I encountered the latter multiple times in 2017.X when I exported an UWP project to a completely new location. In this specific case, it's usually enough to build (or just deploy for the first time, which includes the build process) that project and everything will be refreshed + set up properly.

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  11. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

No, I got all the new ones but it still did the same thing.

12. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Sorry didn't get what you meant. It is a brand new project and I haven't moved the project elsewhere. It hasn't happened in unity 2017 but only in unity 2018.

13. Suddoha

Suddoha

Try the following:
    - Close the project.
    - Delete the .csproj file, the .sln file and the library folder (all of them in the project's folder).
    - Re-open Unity

Unity should then create the library folder upon opening. At the very last, open a script file.

If the errors aren't gone after that, then it's probably indeed missing some installation, or if you're sure the SDKs / Frameworks (the ones that were mentioned earlier) are installed, it cannot find them for some reason.

Glokie likes this.
  14. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@wendymorrison delete the library, csproj files, sln file and the obj folder. Then open it in unity.

15. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

All I had to do is find the installer and update it. I had trouble finding the installer so I found a video

that had the installer with it but also realized it was on my computer all along. So now it works via updating visual studio.

16. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

I have the same problem, red squiggly lines all over the place all of a sudden. Also the intellisense feature where it shows member functions, function parameters, auto completion, and all that dont work anymore.

17. wingedimagination

wingedimagination

Hi,
    I had the same problem in unity 2019.1.7 on Mac - I solved it by changing api compatibility level from .NET standard 2.0 (which was set by default after installation) to .NET 4.x.

You can find this option in:
    Edit> Project settings> Player

18. Regenfrithu

Regenfrithu

I had the same issue as wingedimagination with 2019.1.8 on Windows and it was solved by using the same method.

bmsh likes this.
  19. Pharaoh35

Pharaoh35

The best solution of this problem was to completely delete unity and visual studio from my mac computer and reinstall the version you need. Don't forget to make copy of your project!

20. bmsh

bmsh

This has been bugging me for over a month; this fixed the problem (in Windows) right away.

21. sama-van

sama-van

From Mac > Unity 2019.3.0f3 > removed Visual Studio Community 7.7.3 > installed last revision 8.3.11.
    Works a charm.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you! Sorted my issue too.

23. stefanplc

stefanplc

This worked great for me too!

24. DavidSalagean147

DavidSalagean147

25. tataygames

tataygames

WTH kind of suggestion is this

26. Vincentevil

Vincentevil

This solved the whole "red squiggly lines" problem for me, thank you! (working in version 2019.3.10f1)

27. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker