Search Unity

Squad Wars (kickstarter)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sausage, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Sausage

Sausage

My company (END games) is trying to fund one of our unity games through Kickstarter - it's called Squad Wars, an epic space combat game. Please check it out and let me know what you think. We'll be heavily documenting our progress and doing our best to react to feedback.

Squad Wars Kickstarter Link

2. Rya

Rya

two hundred and fifty thousand seems to be aiming a little high, I hate to be a pessimist but I highly doubt you will reach that goal.

3. Sausage

Sausage

4. Sausage

Sausage

Ya, we're nervous about it, but we don't want to promise a great game and not have the funds to follow-through.

5. Moraleidahgo

Moraleidahgo

The game does look beautiful and already has a strong documentation base, but I still think 250,000 is too much, specially if KickStarter is your only source of funding. 100,000 would be a more reasonable value in my opinion.
    But anyways, send a message to the people at indiegames.com and ask them to promote your KickStarter page, it is a good way to get going.
    Best of luck.

6. Sausage

Sausage

Thanks for indiegames tip - definitely contacting them. Even if you don't back it, please feel free to post in the forums. We're very interested to hear about everyone's favorite battles and what they'd like to see in the game.

7. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

Good luck with kickstarter.
    Your company and it's approach has got a great look to it.

9. Sausage

Sausage

Thanks! Looks like TotalHalibut doesn't take requests - just hope he 'stumbles' on it. :)

10. Xiede

Xiede

Go to an actual WTF video of his... it normally contains text like this:

"Totalbiscuit takes a look at the newest game added to the Humble Indie Bundle.

If you're a developer and would like your game featured on our WTF is? series, please contact pr[at]cynicalbrit.com"

Go ahead and try to contact him there. You might not get very far if you don't really have a build that is playable, since most of his stuff that he does on the WTF series is just things he grabs off Steam and what not, so already build and deployed.

EDIT: Didn't see the new Kickstarter series. Definately might be able to get something working with him, just a matter of if he likes what he sees. He definately is a nice person to get talking about your project.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  11. Sausage

Sausage

Awesome, thanks for the info. E-mail sent. I'll let you know (and thank you again) if he responds.

12. xzile40

xzile40

If i hit the lottery any time soon, i'll be sure to donate $15k. :)

Nice job so far, it looks pretty cool. I hope you get this going soon. $250,000 is pretty steep of a step... I hope you can reach it in time with some promotional help :)

13. Sausage

Sausage

Thanks!

Anyone have any other suggestions for rewards - what else might persuade you to pledge? (realistically ;) )

14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Wow the thread here in the forums doesn't do this justice! I went over and checked out the KickStarter...very solid project you guys want to create. I loved what I saw of the UI stuff and menus. I also love that you guys are focused on creating these epic space battles based off of what you remember was best about gaming experiences in the past. I think this is a definite formula for success considering you're taking the opinions of a group of people with like minds, rather than the decision of some publisher. This brings me to my final point. It is great when technology and the web finally allow folks to become their own distributor and publisher. I see this happening with books and music...people just being creative and self publishing. I think you guys are shining example of these positive things in our industry. I know when you have a team, everyone has to pay bills and survive while developing. You definitely have to budget all of that. On top of it you have to budget for software, or whatever tools you might need to get to the end. I know $250K is a rain drop in a large pond when it comes to creating a AAA experience...I just hope you guys can make it in 28 days! Good luck on all fronts.

15. JRavey

JRavey

Looks like a good game. What would it take for me to pledge? Honestly, nothing would convince me to just throw money at you for your undefined expenses. I like Kickstarter for kick starting companies.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  16. Sausage

Sausage

Thanks James! I just might quote you when explaining the project to people. :)

17. herpderpy

herpderpy

I've always hated kickstarter. I remember when there was a time when if you didn't have the money to do something, you didn't do it (Or you found a way to make the money yourself). Kickstarter just kills this and practically begs for money. Sure, if it's a legit cause like community improvement I can see it being a good idea. But honestly, things for the consumer? What has this world come to.

If you can't afford it, don't do it.

18. avidesk

avidesk

I really like the looks of this. Best of luck.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  19. Sausage

Sausage

20. invulse

invulse

I normally just lurk and don't post on threads like this, but this is the worst post I've seen in years. Small companies do not always have the capital to fund larger scale games, so saying if "you don't have the money don't do it" is crazy. If that were the case almost no new companies would ever get started. In fact most small businesses get their start from either an outside investor or a loan, which in both cases mean you do not have enough money to actually start the business completely on your own.

Anyways I'm a bit skeptical on the amount your asking for in this kickstarter. I'm not sure if you can reduce your amount needed but since the game is a free-to-play game, couldn't you ask for a smaller amount like $50k and make the initial release with limited content. If you initial release went well you would have the capital to fund further development and expand the game.

21. Sausage

Sausage

Though I like the idea of helping start a company, Kickstarter actually explicitly forbids it - only 'projects' can be funded, and even then you're not supposed to fund 'causes or charities' ( Their Guidelines ). I really like kickstarter because at its core it allows people to buy a product they want that doesn't quite exist yet, and the risk to all parties is almost none: The company can only make the product if 'enough' people say they actual want it (and put their money where their mouth is), and if the product is a failure (ie, doesn't make its goal) no money exchanges hands and the product never gets made - no investors burned or resources to dump, it just 'never was'.

If people only made things when they already had the money to do it, then honestly nothing would be made except by the very-wealthy - even farmers have to find ways to 'fund' their crops because they don't get to see profit until they've harvested and sold it (and often, no profit even then).

'To each his own' - I totally understand if you don't approve of kickstarter in-general. Again,only people who like kickstarter will ever use it, so hopefully it isn't hurting any thing or any one that doesn't like the approach. :)

Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  22. Sausage

Sausage

I agree on the $50k value - people would definitely view that as 'more attainable', and we may have shot ourselves in the foot with the larger number, but it came down to and honest equation of: ($ of salaries) * (number or months we think it will take). The variable here is clearly "What is a reasonable amount of content?"

Thanks for the feedback and support!

23. Sausage

Sausage

24. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Agrees with James about the forum thread vs. the scope of your actual game and how serious you guys are.
    Not representative.

The first post of all threads you create on any forum should definitely present images and a video of the game. At the minimum.
    I mean, you guys are reaching for the public to fund your development and the game is pretty advanced in its development cycle. Why not show how awesome your game is right on the first post? :)

Your project deserves more marketing love! :)
    Good thing you got mentioned on these websites though, congrats!

Also, your official website was down the last 3 times I visited it:
    "The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable."

As a designer and online marketing expert-by-obligation for my Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2 projects, it hurts a bit to see all this, but you guys got a good product and good intentions, so I'm sure you'll work it out.

MQ

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  25. MChez

MChez

Sausage,

Backed your game on day one of the kickstarter at the $100 level and to be honest, I'm absolutely shocked this hasn't rocketed in funding. Netdevil was an established company that produced games, the video is professional, you have gameplay footage indicating that it's more than an idea, it's already a project, you are all very likeable and I think your video resonates with sci fi fans. As someone addicated to kickstrater, I personally think 250k is in-line with other projects of this caliber. If you look at the other space sim game being promo'd at the same time (also backing them), one of the critiques they are getting is their funding goal is not enough to support the design specs proposed.

I don't get why this isn't flying so I've been trying to sort out why, as well as grab those pennies to see what more I can do to contribute. I WANT to play this game.

So, I've been asking why isn't the Kickstarter darling I expected it to be. My current conclusions and what -might- be done

1. Kickstarter fatigue. You are coming on the back side of three massive and one minor well-funded gaming projects. The craziness at the end of those projects to make reach goals may have sucked up funds folks didn't (or shouldn't have) put forward in the euphoria of the moment. Buyers remorse may be setting in.

2. The name Squad Wars doesn't scream your games purpose or awesomeness of it's design philosophy. From your video, the squad is not the central element of the game, amazing experiences during frenetic space battles are. I only clicked on the link based on the high quality professional logo design. I had no idea it was an online space sim game

3. Online game, tricky investment. So, I put in a bunch of money and reap the benefits of my pledge level tier reward, most of which are benefits to playing the game...I like that. Being an online game, what happens if the game isn't successful post launch and servers shut down in 6 months? So, I have this really good xp boost and my pledge money is multiplied in it's in game value, which has value only if I get to spend it and enjoy the result. The other KS projects have been games that once owned by the player, they own them. They bought them. As with all online games, we only rent them (like it or not).

4. Related to the last point, many of the pledge rewards are really delayed gratification that, for the most part, are attainable through other means later after the game is out with less risk. XP boost, I can overcome that with time or micro-transactions. Money boost, sure paying in now gets me more for my money, but that's delayed gratification and I can still buy in later when I have more of known quantity on my hands. KS backing typically gets you things that you'll miss out on if you don't put that money down 'right now.' This fear of missing out is very powerful and kickstrater often feeds off of it.

So, those are the four challenges I think Squad Wars has to overcome from my perspective. Some suggestions:

1. You can't do anything about KS fatigue, and getting the word out is probably the best way to counteract this. Outside of just getting the games name out there, you need to get your pedigree tied to it. You guys have made successful and fun games; you want the word to be Squad Wars space combat kickstarter, from the guys who brought you jumpgate and auto assault...not just Squad Wars kickstarter.

2. Squad Wars: Experience the Space Figher Combat You've Always Wanted....or some such. Need to work the name with the concept

3. Mitigate the concern about the online nature of the game best you can. Reaching your funding level insures the game will be up and running for...1 month, 1 year, 3 years??

4. Think about your rewards in terms of what I get now that I won't ever be able to get after the fact. If someone is even mildly considering playing the game that pressure may get them to put down a 'security deposit' of sort to guarantee they don't miss out. It's what pre-order goodies and collectors editions thrive off of. Also, 100 to 250 is a big gap. Room for some goodness in there?

I put this here because you asked for advice and the KS page should focus on the product. Again, you had me at hello and I just -know- there are gamers out there who want this game as much as I do. Trench Run v1 and v2, Khan bests Kirk – Kirk best Khan, and saving the colony on New Caprica baby…let’s do this

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  26. nicunity

nicunity

Wow! Looks brilliant. pop a few screens into the first post because his game looks kick ass!

27. siddmax

siddmax

I recommend posting this on reddit.com/r/indiegaming or /r/gamedev.

As for favorite space combat moment: Just imagining myself cruising through space on a delivery mission when I detect ships incoming on my sensors (Or see them on the horizon if they're in stealth). Using my battle-hardened instincts, I figure them as pirates immediately. If there are nearby planets, I release the cargo into the gravity field to boost speed and make a go around the planetary body to come upon the enemy backs ripping into them (Unless you use real physics where this is not possible without precise calibrations to avoid sling-shotting off into space or using too much fuel to keep oneself from burning into the atmosphere). Or if there is a nearby asteroid belt, I duck into that weaving through random chunks of rocks to throw off my enemies hoping they take enough damage to give up or enter stealth mode, come up on them from behind, and finish them off.

Or in the combat simulations if you can map certain key combinations to real-time space maneuvering abilities like going up into a 360 forward spin and 180 side spin to turn and face an enemy behind you. Or a quick barrel roll to L/R/up/down.

But then again, the best is everything is simple and intuitive.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012