Search Unity

SPUDZOOKA!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by trypho, Mar 10, 2008.

1. trypho

trypho

Hi all,

I don't post much, but I've been using Unity since last August and just lurking around the forums. Anyway, I've finally got something to post for critique. It's a simple target shooting game using an upgradeable potato cannon. I'm calling this an alpha test because all the content isn't there (particularly the part where you customize your cannon's paint job), but it's complete enough to get a sense of the gameplay.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I'm interested in your thoughts on all parts of the game, including:
    • Overall fun factor
    • Graphics/visuals
    • User interface
    • Cannon upgrade system (could you figure it out?)
    • Sound/music
    • Any funky stuff with the web player
    If you're interested, you can read about the game's development on my blog.

2. nickavv

nickavv

Its fun. :p Needs more levels though, as right at the end I got 70 dollars and was all ready to trick out my gun, but then the game was over. D:

3. tim

tim

Nice work. Concerning the upgrade system: do upgrades go away after a round? I bought an upgrade during an early level and couldn't tell if it was still around upon going back to buy another.

4. trypho

trypho

The upgrades should stay with you the whole time. But there's two parts to the upgrade process: buying the components and assembling the cannon. After you buy the component you have to save the cannon. If you don't do that, you won't be able to use your new component. That might be what happened.

I worked a lot on designing the upgrade system, but I'm still not sure it quite works. I wanted to set it up so you could mix and match components and build cannons for different purposes (range vs power and so on), but I think the inventory system might need some more explanation.

Of course there aren't enough levels to really need many upgrades right now, but I'm working on that. :)

5. Lka

Lka

I like it but.. 8 seconds gameplay? Plaese add extended time, I can only shoot one of them!

6. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Pretty funny, nice job.

I believe I found small bug: If you keep pressing 1 and shooting you can shoot very fast without buying a 'machine gun'.

7. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Potato! Hands down the greatest game ever. I love potatoes.

8. Cav

Cav

Very nice game!

The upgrade system took me a couple tries to understand it. It could do with being explained or being more simple!

Also the last 2 levels (i think) made me wait until the time ran out before telling me I had won - It was fun to try and destroy the environment in this remaining time, but i think id like to know i had already got all the targets!

The sound and music is cool - I would work on varying the sounds. Like for example several different sounds when I hit a crate instead of the same one every time. And even make variations of the sounds that are repeated or use the pitch shifter to randomly shift the pitches a small amount to give single sounds variation when repeated.

looking forward to more levels!

9. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Spud-tastic! I like it .. it gets pretty challenging, but upgrades are cool.

Great idea ... I say keep up the good work :)

10. trypho

trypho

Thanks for the feedback, everybody (keep it coming!).

- Cav, great suggestions. Regarding the last two levels where the time ticked all the way down -- there are hidden targets in those two levels, so the level won't end until you get them all or time runs out. I agree it's not obvious what's happening, so I might put the total number of targets into the message at the beginning of the level. That way you'll know to keep looking.

I'll keep working on the upgrade system, too. There's got to be a way to simplify it some more.

11. trypho

trypho

Hi, everybody. Thought I would post the "final" version of SPUDZOOKA for everyone's enjoyment. I built a little web site around it where you can play and leave comments. I'm probably going to move on to other projects now (this was mostly to get my feet wet), but I can still make changes if anyone has suggestions.

It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the amazing stuff people post to these forums, but I really enjoyed creating this, simple as it is. Hopefully it's just the beginning!

http://spudzooka-game.com

12. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

AWESOME! and the music with Garage band is great too. I really need more time to aim and reload. I'M STUCK ON LEVEL 2!!!!!

13. Marc

Marc

I like this game reminds me of a game i played in Tivoli Copenhagen. Missing a X-hair though. Else i think its good casual game.

14. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

I agree, more time is needed I can only hit 3 on level 2 using a trackpad.

15. Jessy

Jessy

Bleck. I can't play this. The rotation is way too fast.

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=3765&highlight=fps

However, the guitar playing is nice, although it would sound heavier double-tracked. Garageband was mentioned a couple posts ago. Is it just an Apple Loop? Not really an option, in that case.