Search Unity

SpriteToParticles - Emit particles from a sprite

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Zarlang, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Gruguir

Gruguir

Hey @Zarlang, i get a lot of error in Unity 5.4.3p4, like :
    Assets/SpriteParticleEmitter/Core/Code/Effectors/Explotion/EffectorExplode.cs(31,32): error CS1061: Type `SpriteToParticlesAsset.SpriteToParticles' does not contain a definition for `particlesSystem' and no extension method `particlesSystem' of type `SpriteToParticlesAsset.SpriteToParticles' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

2. Zarlang

Zarlang

Hi there,

SpriteToParticles version 2 is up and running!

Wanted to post here some of the new things in the current version some of you were requesting.
    @castor76 and @lorddevil, I've added some of the things you mention about sharing texture's info when using duplicated sprites.
    @Fuzzy_Slippers, I've added the execute in edit mode capability
    @Elendow, I've added an option to enable precision between frames, which fix what you were experiencing

Also the new system handles warnings in the inspector.
    You can check other fixes and changes in the package description.

About the last unattended post (sorry, I was away on vacations)

@lorddevil
    About the Match Image Renderer Position and Scale
    That option should be used when you have the Image component and the Emitter in the same hierarchy level (handled it that way so you can decide which is drawn first). If you are having the Image as the parent of the Emitter then leave that option unchecked.

@Rosty
    That effector will come in the next update :)

@Gruguir
    That's very strange, could you send me a really small version of the project so I can see what may be wrong?
    (As a side note 5.4 support will be discontinued by the end of the year. Scripts will still work but demo scene won't. I'm trying to make the pack as easier to use as possible and 5.4 compatibility adds a layer of complexity.)

Finally, as a lot has changed in the asset so please contact me if you have any trouble updating it.

3. Gruguir

Gruguir

So i took a look at SpriteToParticles script and looks like it's the 5.5 version...
    I guess this is an issue with the asset store import module i already stumble across.

Zarlang likes this.
  4. Mild-Mania

Mild-Mania

Hello how is the mobile performance of this package? We are worrying about enabling read/write on texture might drastically decrease the performance?

5. Zarlang

Zarlang

Hi @Mild-Mania
    Enabling read/write on the texture importer won't impact on performance. It will impact on memory usage.
    So the performance really depends on what effect you are trying to achieve. This is the amount of particles, whether is the UI or not, etc.

Please check the section "Notes on Performance and Memory Consumption" on the asset's documentation here to know more about it.

If you are still in doubt send me an email describing what are you trying to make so I can help you more.

6. BACALL

BACALL

Just bought it, and I love it! Despite all potential it do have some weird issues in Unity 2017.3:

1. For example, when I open the example scene "Dynamic 01 - Full Emission Example" (or the other Dynamic 02), the first character doesn't seem to do anything? And the second one renders outside it's box? Skärmavbild 2017-12-28 kl. 18.26.56.png

2. When I put the SpriteToParticles script on a regular 300x300 sprite (without animation) the particles render very small? I have to bump up the particle "Start Size" to at least 100?
    Skärmavbild 2017-12-28 kl. 18.37.20.png

3. Whenever I'm in "Static" mode (referring to the SpriteToParticles script), it doesn't seem to update the changes I've made in the Particle System until I press the checkbox under "Advanced Options", which seems to be stuck because I can't uncheck it?

And there is a lot more...

I love this asset so much, and I want it to work. Please let me know if you've planned an update, or are aware of these issues. Let me know if I can help you, e.g by providing more detailed feedback.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  7. Zarlang

Zarlang

Hi, @BACALL

Yes, I'm aware of those issues. An update is on the way. In fact there will be 3 different updates for 2017.1 .2 and .3.
    I was hoping 2017.3 would fix the issues introduced in the previous versions but it wasn't the case.

I haven't uploaded an update because of the reason stated above and because I didn't wanted to break backwards compatibility (don't break effects that StP users already made).

So, to sum it up, as Unity users changing rapidly from 5.6 to 2017.x, 5.6 version will be freezed and 2017.x will have 3 versions. This means remaking all the demo scenes which are a lot (some may be left aside).

In particular for the n.2 issue you stated, please try chaging the Scaling Mode in the Particle System's options.
    The new 2017.x versions will remove the automatic size conversion as it's one of the main sources of conflicts.

I've also added a reset cache button to address the issue you refer in n.3.

There were a lot of changes in how the ParticleSystem works in the last year, every new version brought new changes.
    I'm working on all this, please be patient.
    I'll post here when it's done if someone can't wait for the asset store acceptance delay. I hope for someday next week.

Hope you understand

pd: detailed feedback is always welcome. It might be better to reach me by email so we don't clog the forum.

8. BACALL

BACALL

Nice, thank you for the quick reply!

Unfortunately scaling Mode didn't solve it.

Looking forward to the update, I've got a few more issues/feedback, let me know where I can find your email.

Thanks in advance!
    Bacall

9. Zarlang

Zarlang

Hi, @BACALL and everyone

Everything I could fix is now fixed.
    There're 2 issues that still remain which I cannot fix, issues which are beyond my controll. These are:

1. Using SizeOverTime Module will add more work to the processor. I've send a small project to unity for them to find out the problem (I have already sent them the issue a few weeks ago but this time a more simple and easy to reproduce project). They said they were able to reproduce the issue and are working on it. I will follow this issue closely because that module is one of the most important in the ParticleSystem imho.

2. Effects made with StP in a 5.6 version will get somehow corrupted when updating to 2017.1+ version. This only happen if the StP GameObject is a child of a complex hierarchy.
    The fix for this is to remade the StP Gameobject from scratch. This means creating a new GO and adding the ParticleSystem and StP components and copying its setting by hand.
    I believe this issue happens because of an internal position for the ParticleSystem is not properly updated but this is just a guess.
    I'll try to make a reproducible project for the unity team to check that out.

To clarify, this issues only happens when emitting particles from code, not when using a normal ParticleSystem.

My mail is federico.n.barra@gmail.com. It seems the new Asset Store has removed emails from the package description.
    I'll be uploading the new fixes tomorrow after changing the documentation. After that it depends on the asset store team to make it live, usually 2 weeks.
    As I've said if you need it before just send me an email (please state invoice number).

Good year to all. :)

10. klvo

klvo

Hi @Zarlang

Does SpriteToParticles work with sprites that are modified on runtime?
    I'm having the image in them change as play progresses based on player input.

Thanks in advance!

11. Zarlang

Zarlang

Hi @klvo

Yup, just be sure to set the mode to dynamic.

Have fun! :)

12. Adoll

Adoll

Hi,
    the concept of this asset is cool. And I am wondering if it works with skeletal animation assets such as Spine.
    The runtime and example files can be download from here
    Can you try it out, so that I can determine if I buy it?
    Thanks

13. Zarlang

Zarlang

Hi there @Yinmo

I'll try it out and let you know but it's unlikely. StP basically saves sprite data: texture data, pixels positions, to be able to emit particles from those positions. It's intrinsically related with how unity hadle sprites.

Tools like TK2D and others in the asset store that handle sprites internally in a different way render StP code useless. And I'm not even talking about shaders...
    So, offering support for this others tools makes me rewrite all the StP code for every tool.

I made a version that worked with TK2D but then they made an update to their code and changed a lot of stuff which broke everything I've made. So...

I'll be happy to have the time to support all this other tools officially but at this time I can't.

That being said, don't lose hope, I'll check it out sometime this week and let you know here.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  14. Adoll

Adoll

Thanks @Zarlang, I`ll wait for your news

Zarlang likes this.
  15. Zarlang

Zarlang

@Yinmo
    Sorry buddy, no luck with the Spine tool. As I said, they use a mesh approach to rendering with no relation with Unity sprites whatsoever.
    It's a shame, it's really a nice tool :)

16. Adoll

Adoll

OK, thanks for giving it a try anyway:)

17. shino-kitagawa

shino-kitagawa

Hi! Your asset is pretty awesome ;D Now im making some FX for UI game, and ur asset is perfect for my project.
    But i have a bit problem...
    Im totally new for unity, so i dont know how to use this asset for my UI project.
    Do u have any explanation or tutorial date as a document with pictures or a video?
    I dont know why, but i cannot see ur blog.
    Thank u for ur help in advance, mate!

18. jamesleakos

jamesleakos

Is this asset working with 2017 yet? I saw in the comments on the store that there were some issues.

19. Alf-Dee

Alf-Dee

Hello there, I've bought Sprite to particles and it's pretty awesome doing his job on sprites and images.

Lately I've been working on a topdown project using the new Unity tilemap editor which uses Tilemap Renderer.
    Is it possible to hack some code and use the tilemap renderer instead of the standard sprite?

Thanks in advance.

20. Foriero

Foriero

Hi, having issues in Unity 2018.3. Can we have fix please? m.

21. Zarlang

Zarlang

Sure, I'll take a look and let you know.

jGate99 likes this.
  22. jGate99

jGate99

Hi, Is this supported in 2020.1 ?
    Thanks

23. Zarlang

Zarlang

Hello @jGate99
    Yes it does! :)
    Tested in 2020.1.2f1

24. kilik128

kilik128

very cool

Zarlang likes this.
  25. Antan

Antan

Looks like a really good asset! Exactly what I was looking for.

@Zarlang
    Is it supported in 2021 as well?
    Any difference between Built in pipe line and URP/HDRP?

Thanks!

26. little_box

little_box

Hi, @Zarlang. I've been using SpriteToParticles in 2020.3 and it's working great so far. But I ran into a small problem that sometimes caused the entire sceneview to display an exception when I switched from the SpriteToParticle game object to another game object, as shown below:
    Xnip2021-06-16_05-04-57.png
    Can you fix it?