Search Unity

SpriteTile, a fast dynamic tile system (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eric5h5, Dec 11, 2013.

1. codesushi

codesushi

Thanks, this works great now.

I notice a different issue with the camera rotation now in the procedural demo. ScreenToMapPosition does not seem to work correctly for mouse clicks. It looks like it assumes that the mouse click x/y coordinates correspond to clicking on the level when it is flat, not rotated. Is there a way to fix this?

Is there some way to convert the mouse coordinates to camera coordinates, then pass that to ScreenTo<MapPosition?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There's always some way. :) Unfortunately nothing simple is coming to mind at the moment; I'll keep thinking about it.

--Eric

3. codesushi

codesushi

Can this be done using a raycast on the SpriteTile surface by adding a mesh filter and collider? And then pass the raycast hitpoint to ScreenToMapPosition.

I am just not sure where to make the changes in the SpriteTile source code.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, since sprites are recycled so you wouldn't have colliders that are assigned to any specific tile. But raycasting is a good idea; I'd use Plane.Raycast, then you can use WorldToMapPosition.

--Eric

5. codesushi

codesushi

That worked, excellent. Thanks!

6. codesushi

codesushi

I am using a perspective camera since the camera is rotated. Do you have any advice on how to keep the camera's viewport within the bounds of the level, as not to reveal the background?

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I would say get the camera bounds as usual, then inset them by whatever number of tiles you added with the AddBorder number.

--Eric

8. codesushi

codesushi

Thanks, how would one go about getting the width of tiles and insetting the camera?

I was also thinking of calculating the number of tiles that can fit in the current viewport, and limiting movement based on the number of tiles the player is from the edge of the level.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can use GetTileSize. So the bounds would be numberOfTiles * GetTileSize.

--Eric

10. danielhamel

danielhamel

Can we serialize the level data? I can serialize most of my other level variables in the same file, but don't know if it will work for a custom level?

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The level data is stored in binary files.

--Eric

12. codesushi

codesushi

Tile.GetSize() returns (1.0, 1.0). Is there a way to get tile width in world coordinates or pixels?

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That is the size in world units. (1.0, 1.0) means it's 1.0 units wide by 1.0 units tall.

--Eric

14. danielhamel

danielhamel

Would it be possible to have a "wall" group type like the terrain group?

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Not quite sure what you mean, but you could use terrain groups to make walls if you like.

--Eric

16. codesushi

codesushi

I see, then the issue is the tiles will be different sizes because of the level rotation and the use of a perspective camera. And the tile sizes will change relative to the camera position.

Tough problem given the perspective camera. Will need to figure this out with some fancy 3d math most likely. Thanks though.

17. danielhamel

danielhamel

Ah, ok, will continue to do it myself.

18. Toad

Toad

Hiya. I've noticed that a cell without a tile (e.g. prefab) doesn't have the trigger value copied over to the new cell when it's cut/copied in the level editor. The properties do get copied over correctly though. Works fine when copying a cell with a tile.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yep, I see what the issue is. You can fix this in the source, where in MapData.cs, change line 270 from

Code (csharp):
    1.                 if (skipEmpties && map[sIntPos] < 0) {
    to

Code (csharp):
    1.                 if (skipEmpties && map[sIntPos] < 0 && !HasProperty (p)) {
    --Eric

20. Toad

Toad

Thanks for the quick response and fix.

21. Toad

Toad

I haven't applied the fix above yet, but I've just spotted another minor issue in the Level Editor window.

When the Extra and Trigger overlays are both selected, cells without tiles (e.g. prefabs) don't have their Trigger value displayed. The Trigger value for them is displayed if only the Trigger overlay is selected (Extra overlay is unselected). Cells with tiles do correctly display their Trigger value with Trigger and Extra overlays both selected.

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Hmm, I'm not seeing that (regardless of the fix above):

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 10.00.31 AM.png

You have to zoom in fairly close though or else the prefab icon covers the trigger value.

--Eric

23. Toad

Toad

Yes, I see what you mean. You do have to zoom in very close to see it though.
    Anyway, thanks for checking and letting me know.

24. greay

greay

I'm a little confused about importing from Tiled. I'm getting an error: "No tilewidth property found in tileset tag" and I don't know what I need to fix that, other than editing the XML manually. I notice the sample XML uses PNGs in the tileset tags – does SpriteTile not support Tiled maps that use .tsx tilesets?

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

As described in the "Importing a Tiled map" section in the docs, Tiled files require some manual work to import, including importing the tiles as sprites. The tilewidth and tileheight tags are used for informational purposes so you know what pixel sizes to use when slicing the tilesets. So no, .tsx tilesets wouldn't work. The tiles should be in some format that Unity can import, which would usually be .png.

--Eric

26. Kaven-Co-Games

Kaven-Co-Games

Hey Eric, I just wanna let you know I've been using SpriteTile for years and I very much love it. Thanks for all the hard work you do man. I wanted to leave this here just because I have been saved so many times by this. You're a blessing. :3

gnurk and SoftwareGeezers like this.
  27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Thank you, it's very nice to hear that!

--Eric

28. Toad

Toad

Hi Eric

I've imported SpriteTile 3.2.1 into an empty project in Unity 2020.3.22f1 and the following errors are reported:

Assembly 'Assets/Plugins/SpriteTile/Editor/TileEditor.dll' will not be loaded due to errors:
    Unable to resolve reference 'Boo.Lang'. Is the assembly missing or incompatible with the current platform?
    Reference validation can be disabled in the Plugin Inspector.
    Unable to resolve reference 'UnityScript.Lang'. Is the assembly missing or incompatible with the current platform?
    Reference validation can be disabled in the Plugin Inspector.

Please can you help?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You'd need to copy Bool.Lang.dll from an earlier version of Unity into the appropriate place in the current version.

--Eric