Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SpriteTile, a fast dynamic tile system (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eric5h5, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

SpriteTile-title.png

SpriteTile (asset store) is a tile system that's built with and works seamlessly with Unity's sprite system, using Unity 5.2.2 or later.
    • Super-efficient tile format means you can have vast levels with no slow-down, and little memory usage. Levels load and save instantly.
    • Fast and efficient pooling system; custom editor can preview in the Unity scene view.
    • Comprehensive tile-based lighting system with shadow and radiosity effects.
    • Use sprite batching and sprite atlases to reduce draw calls, potentially as low as 1.
    • Go beyond the grid! Tiles can be rotated to any arbitrary angle, can be any size, can be flipped on the X and Y axes, and can be anchored to any point.
    • Set the drawing order for each tile to control how tiles overlap, in those cases where they cover other tiles.
    • Place GameObject prefabs directly in the map.
    • Includes easy animation functions.
    • Unlimited layers make parallax scrolling simple, and layers can be locked on the X or Y axis (or both). This is all done with a single camera, no complex setup required.
    • Non-square tile support.
    • Full scripting interface with nearly 100 functions for dynamically changing levels at runtime, or even build them from scratch procedurally.
    • Collision shapes can be created from tiles automatically for use with physics, or they can be manually edited.
    • Multiple tile sets for easy organization.
    • Manage tile groups easily, to quickly build levels. Save them and copy and paste at runtime through code.
    • Use random groups to quickly add variety.
    • Use terrain groups to effortlessly build things like paths, cliffs, walls, and so on.
    • Supports multiple cameras, and camera rotation.
    • Import .tmx maps from the Tiled editor.
    • Works well on mobile devices.
    • Works with any language in Unity.
    • Source code included.

Here's a shot of the tile editor window:

editor3.png

You can play a small game I made to demo some of the features here. It involves getting an oversized acorn through the levels into a warp gate of some kind...no, I don't know why either. ;) I tested this game on my iPod and it has no problems hitting 60fps.

acornantics.jpg

While SpriteTile uses a standard grid for tiles, the tiles themselves aren't bound by that, and can extend beyond the cell. This offers more flexibility for level design. This gate, for example, is 1 tile instead of 6. You can set the draw order in the editor to make sure tiles overlap properly; here the gate tile is drawn behind the grass tiles on either side. The editor shows a preview of the "real" tile size over the cell, so you can work with multiple tile sizes easily.

spritetile1.png

Likewise, tiles can be rotated to any arbitrary degree. Probably rotating by 90° is most useful, but you're not limited to that.

spritetile2.png

Collision shapes are built automatically by Unity for tiles with transparency. For games that don't need this (for example, a top-down RPG), you can read collision cells from the level and prevent characters from moving into specific cells on a tile-by-tile basis.

All of this is available through scripting as well as the editor window, so you can build levels 100% procedurally if you want, using a number of functions for getting and setting tiles, draw order, rotation, collision, etc. You can also assign triggers to tiles for your own use, so for example a character entering a tile can trigger actions programmed by you.

SpriteTile works with orthographic as well as perspective cameras, though currently parallax scrolling is mainly achievable with perspective cameras (layers can be arbitrary distances from the camera). Layers can be locked on the x or y axes (or both), so that things like backgrounds can be locked in place or only allowed to scroll on one axis.

Additional features will be available in future versions. Have an idea you want to see implemented? Leave a message here!

--Eric

Gozdek likes this.
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Getting there! The majority of the docs are done, so I'm finishing that up and doing a few more small demo scripts. Here's One Million Tiles, which shows procedural generation, in this case of a million-tile level using Perlin noise.

milliontiles.png

--Eric

3. Dunkelheit

Dunkelheit

Sounds very good, Eric. Do you have plans to do an infinite scrolling mode? I liked about the parallax too. Any idea about the price? Keep it up!

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Thanks! Indeed I do have plans for an infinite scrolling mode, though it won't be in version 1.0. (However it's not actually hard to implement it yourself with existing functions right now, it's just not automatic.) Probably around $30 for the price. As usual, all upgrades will be free.

--Eric

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Available now, with a 50% launch discount! You can check out the docs online if you want to see what it's all about in detail. Next up: submitting to the asset store. If you have any questions, suggestions, etc., post them here. Tell me what sort of stuff you want to see...I already have some things that I left out of 1.0 for the sake of getting it done, but I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of.

--Eric

6. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Awesome, picking this up. I am making a 2d game but generally sick of the "square tile" feel. This does add the possibility of other shapes which could be quite cool.

I know this can use the sprite system in 4.3 - I'm wondering if it's possible to support dynamic point lighting using the Sprites-Diffuse shader? (This currently works for sprites in my project.

Currently I'm using Ferr2d and quite impressed with the results, it is easy to make, but there are some issues with edges etc. It seems like this system would offer a more reliable solution once the assets are drawn, but would really need to get my artist to sketch up some tiles in our art style to be sure.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yep, you can assign a material to be used for the tiles. I tested this with lighting and it works without problems:

spritetilespotlight.jpg

--Eric

8. sefou

sefou

Hi Eric5h5 ,

can you convert all examples scripts in document in C# ?

Thanks.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

OK, all the code in the docs works with C# and Unityscript.

--Eric

10. mactinite77

mactinite77

Hi Eric,
    I purchased this system and so far it is great. I haven't got as far as loading it into a level yet, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up! Now for my question; I won't be able to test this till later tonight but tile systems in unity have the issue of tearing between the tiles. I'm not entirely sure as to why (maybe you can enlighten me lol) but does this system remedy this? Is that the reason we shouldn't use transforms to move the camera? Also I noticed it loads it at runtime, which is fine, but is there anything stopping me from loading the level with an editor script? Any adverse effects?

Regards,
    Hunter

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Thanks! I've seen occasional tearing between tiles in the editor, but not in a build. If you do see it, you can use a material with "snap to pixel" enabled, which may help. Another possibility is to use a tile size for your levels that overlaps tiles ever so slightly, such as if you normally would use 1.0, then use .999 instead. (As to why it happens at all: good question! Probably related to floating point in some way. Everything bad is because of floating point. ;) )

The reason for not moving the camera transform directly is because of the tile pooling system. I did think of having a system that watched for camera movement and updated the tiles if needed, but that would require polling every frame. Although maybe it would still be worthwhile sacrificing a small bit of CPU time for the sake of being a little easier to use?

As for loading with an editor script, I'm not sure that would work, since SpriteTile generates a number of objects when loading a level that wouldn't be cleaned up properly, and as mentioned the pooling system depends on the camera. That's why you can have extremely huge levels, since a 20x20 level doesn't generate any more objects than a 2000x2000 level would. (Aside from polygon colliders, if you use those, but those are still combined in chunks so you don't end up with zillions of separate collider objects.)

--Eric

12. tiggus

tiggus

Introductory price too good to pass up I agree, December is ending up decimating me with all the Unity sales :)

Regarding the tearing between tiles, maybe you are referring to antialiasing causing some holes? I saw this on some sprite tilemaps I was working on and if you zoomed in really close it was just the AA blending the edges to make it smooth. I ended up just slightly changing the units to pixels setting on sprite import so the sprite was slightly larger(so slight you can't really see it) and overlapped like Eric suggested.

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Available on the Asset Store now! Thank you to everyone who's bought so far. Let me know what else you'd like to see added...though I may already be planning it since there was some stuff that didn't get in the 1.0 release due to time constraints. ;)

--Eric

14. coptout

coptout

Eric,

I downloaded from your site. I have imported the SpriteTileDLL package into a new project to try and play around with it. However, whenever I try to load a texture using the Sprite Editor, it gives me the error message:

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Type.op_Equality',
    TileEditor.TextureSetScontrols ()

Being fairly new to Unity, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Help?

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Sorry about that; that's an issue with the editor DLL. For now, you can delete the TileEditor DLL and import the source code instead. (Afterward importing the source, delete the plugins/SpriteTile folder so it doesn't conflict with the SpriteTile DLL.)

--Eric

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

OK, version 1.0.1 with a fixed DLL is out now. Again, sorry...should have caught that one. Let me know if you find any other problems.

--Eric

17. Toad

Toad

Looks good. How does it compare/contrast with the other popular tile systems on the asset store? (e.g. 2DToolkit, Rotorz)

18. coptout

coptout

Thanks for the quick fix Eric! It's working beautifully now.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The introductory price is over now, but the 40% off holiday sale has started so you can still get a good deal! (Also includes all my other utilities such as Vectrosity, FlyingText3D, etc.)

In my opinion it's simpler to use, offers more flexibility with rotated/overlapping tiles, is more efficient for large levels, and has more functions for building and changing levels with code. Also it costs less. It focusses on 2D sprites only, which may be a good thing depending on your game, but if you want to use 3D objects as tiles then you'd need to get a different system.

--Eric

20. J53226

J53226

I only received the 1.0.0 version. How do I update to the latest version? Thanks.

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can download again with the same link. If you turn update notices on (which I'd recommend) then you'll get email notifications when a new update is released.

--Eric

22. J53226

J53226

Sorry, I purchased it from the Asset Store. Will you be publishing updates there?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Of course, but it takes time for approval. I submitted on Friday, but it's the weekend so I don't think anyone's looking at it now. Hopefully it will be approved on Monday, if they approve the update as fast as the initial version.

--Eric

24. J53226

J53226

I like it so far, after playing for a few hours. I was experimenting with assigning the tilemap to different cameras to see what effects I could create with other objects and I noticed that the map always renders to the Default layer of the scene. The only glitch I ran into was that on my Windows 7 box the TileEditor main window cuts off most of the "New" buttons for adding tile and group sets.

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's a good point; there should be an option to change the layer. I'll add that. Can you show a screenshot of what the TileEditor window looks like for you?

--Eric

26. J53226

J53226

Attached Files:

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

OK, I lied, 1.0.1 won't be available on the Asset Store...because it will be version 1.1 instead. ;) Out now if you bought from my site:

SpriteTile 1.1

Additions:
    • Tile.SetTileRenderLayer function, for setting the layer of sprites (that is, the GameObject layer used for rendering, not sorting layer).

Changes:
    • Tile.SetTileMaterial can be called at any time, and doesn't need to be called before SetCamera.
    • Tile.SetColliderMaterial can likewise be called at any time.

Improvements:
    • Better CharacterControl demo script.

Fixes:
    • TileEditor buttons not cut off on Windows.

--Eric

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

And 1.1 is available in the Asset Store at last. If some of those who've bought on the Asset Store might consider taking a minute to write a review, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

--Eric

29. Amon

Amon

Bought this a few days ago. I can't access my domain email atm because of a registrar move but glad to see the new version is available on the asset store.

Ta!

30. ErrOrnAmE

ErrOrnAmE

Hi !

I just bought SpriteTile and I find this really awesome !
    However, when I try to load a level, it seems that there is a problem.

Here are the log:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[SpriteTile.ColliderData].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    SpriteTile.Tile.GetTotalPathCount (Int32 x1, Int32 y1, Int32 xEnd, Int32 yEnd, Int32 w, SpriteTile.MapData mapData)
    SpriteTile.Tile.MakeColliderBlock (Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 xEnd, Int32 yEnd, Int32 w, Int32 h, Single tileSize, SpriteTile.MapData mapData, Int32 layer)
    SpriteTile.Tile.SetLevelColliders ()

Maybe it's something that I haven't configured well, but I don't know what...

EDIT :

For some reasons, using the source code and not the dll didn't produce this error.
    Maybe there is a problem with the dll ?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  31. Amon

Amon

Sorry to say this Eric5h5 but mate you are ripping yourself off. Under $30? The amount of time this just saved me coupled with documentation so properly done that it puts 90% of other asset store products documentation to shame is a bargain I wasn't expecting.

This could easily sell for between $85 to $125. But no, it's only up for just under $30.

32. ErrOrnAmE

ErrOrnAmE

Hi again!

I have an other issue.
    When I try to load my level, it seems that the tiles don't render any Sprites. The tiles exists, but the SpriteRenderer Component is unchecked and there is no Sprite affiliated to it.

So, what can I do, to render the level properly?

33. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Sorry for the late replies!

I've sent you a PM regarding sending me the project so I can take a look. Regarding your other post, make sure you're using SetCamera properly and only moving the camera with MoveCamera/SetCameraPosition.

Thank you! There are enough other tile systems that I don't think I can charge much more.

--Eric

34. nuvorm

nuvorm

Hi Eric.

I must say this is a promising tool.
    Is there any way to view the tile layer in editing mode in the scene?

I tried execute in edit mode but it got all messed up.

Any thoughts?

35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Due to the pooling system there isn't really a way to effectively run it in edit mode, since it requires the camera to be controlled through code. You can persist changes from play mode with various techniques such as the copy component/paste component values context menu items, and there's at least one asset which helps with that (PlayModePersist).

--Eric

36. nuvorm

nuvorm

I see. How could i create a new sprite from the sprite texture in the assets folder?
    And can i read the name from the leveldata somewhere? It would be great to be able to
    have some visual reference in the scene to place gameobjects manually in the level.

Cheers Wouter

37. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can drag the texture into the scene view to create a new sprite. As mentioned, you can move objects around when SpriteTile is running for reference, and keep info about them (position etc.) afterward.

Edit: SpriteTile now includes the ability to preview levels in the editor.

--Eric

38. nuvorm

nuvorm

Unfortunately not what i am looking for. If there is no way to see the complete level in the editor this plugin is not for me. Thanks for the feedback though.

39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Just a note that there's an issue with the current version on the asset store, where the demos are missing a reference for Resources/TileManager. I've uploaded a new version to fix this, but you can also fix it yourself by replacing the missing reference with the TileManager script. Sorry about that!

--Eric

40. Arsonide

Arsonide

Eric I purchased this and I'm having some difficulty figuring out this editor. I got the editor itself working, but it creates a lot of unnecessary draw calls and I'm not sure why. If I spread around two types of sprites without the tile editor, I get 2 draw calls. If I do it with the editor, I get 14.

I attempted to atlas the textures together, but SpriteTile only detects the full atlas texture, not the individual sprites, which isn't very helpful. Do you have any idea what I'm doing incorrectly?

EDIT: I've been doing some testing and I can't find any rhyme or reason to how this is determining how many draw calls to make. I had two tiles loaded and it stayed at 2 draw calls, which is undesireable but fair, the moment I loaded a third tile, it jumped to six draw calls.

Why is it doing this, and how to I use atlases with it? I tried to look at the examples but they all have errors that cause their tilemaps to not load by default, and there is one mention of atlasing in the documentation, in reference to Unity's auto-atlasing, which doesn't seem to be working.

Edit2: I got the examples working. It seems that for some reason the TileManager script was removed from the TileManager. I re-applied this script. Now I get this: http://screencast.com/t/9qCXEbQoNBI

This cannot be right. The whole point of a tilemap is to save draw calls. There are two tiles there, there should be two draw calls, max 10 if you include the ball and the GUI stuff.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

See my previous post regarding errors with the demos (asset store version only). Atlases are created by using the same packing tag on all sprites that you want to be part of an atlas. As for draw calls, that's up to Unity and I have no control over that. I'm not sure they're being reported correctly; what actually matters is speed, which I haven't seen any issues with (works fine on mobile for example), so I assume it's working even if the numbers in the stats may not be right.

--Eric

42. Arsonide

Arsonide

No, the packing tag is a Pro only feature, so I won't be able to atlas, unsure what's going on with the draw calls. It's also probably related to not having Pro.

43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The next version is almost finished! To be done is more testing and updating the docs. Changelog:

SpriteTile 1.2

Additions:
    • Sprites made with the Multiple sprite mode can be used now. For the most part they work the same as Single sprites and both can be mixed freely, with the exceptions that loading a Multiple sprite will load all the sprites in that texture at once, and the Replace button can’t be used when a Multiple sprite is selected.
    • Tile.SetCameraAuto, which allows you to move the camera directly in code with transform.Translate or transform.position, or by using animation with the camera's transform, rather than using Tile.MoveCamera/SetCameraPosition.
    • Tile.ScreenToMapPosition function, which is useful for converting the mouse position to the map position of a specified layer, so you can easily do things like clicking on a tile.
    • Tile.GetLevelBytes function, which is good for saving or uploading procedurally-generated levels.
    • Tile.SetBorder function, for easily making a border of a given tile around a level.

Changes:
    • Tile.SetTile and Tile.SetTileBlock can optionally specify whether to add or remove colliders. This saves having to use both SetTile and SetCollider separately, since those functions are frequently called together.
    • Likewise, Tile.DeleteTile and Tile.DeleteTileBlock can optionally specify whether to remove any collider that might exist.
    • Tile.SetTile and Tile.SetTileBlock can use TileInfo variables in addition to using the set and tile variables separately.

Improvements:
    • Significant speed improvement if many tiles with physics colliders are set procedurally.
    • If no physics colliders are used, setting/removing collider cells is more efficient.

Fixes:
    • Tile.SetCollider works when used on an empty tile.
    • Fixed issue when removing colliders from tiles that previously had physics colliders.
    • Tile.GetMapPosition and Tile.GetWorldPosition work properly if Tile.SetLayerPosition has been used.
    • Physics colliders are correct for rotated tiles.
    • Fixed issue with SpriteTile not functioning correctly after changing scenes.
    • Tile.EraseLevel properly resets order in layer and rotation.

TileEditor Additions:
    • Editor Preview button, for displaying levels (or part of a level) in the scene view.
    • Delete Preview button, for removing the preview.
    • Holding down the space bar and the mouse button while moving the mouse will pan the level view (like in Photoshop).

TileEditor Changes:
    • The “collider” tile default no longer serves double duty as both the collider cell default and the way to activate physics colliders. Instead, it now only sets the collider cell default. There’s now an additional “use physics collider” setting for each tile, which is the way to activate physics colliders.
    • TileEditor displays world positions for each cell in addition to cell coordinates. (If the tile size is 1.0, then the world position is the same as the cell coordinate.)

TileEditor Fixes:
    • The divider between the tiles and groups can be moved correctly if there are more than 8 tile sets.

--Eric

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

And 1.2 is out now! Update notices are being sent to everyone who bought from my site. I'll submit it to the asset store next.

--Eric

45. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

...And 1.2 is on the asset store, which was unusually fast. I've released 1.2.1 on my site, however, due to a couple of issues:

SpriteTile 1.2.1

Fixes:
    • The TileEditor correctly tints the collider overlay depending on whether physics colliders are used for a tile.
    • Fixed small glitch with the efficiency of updating physics colliders from code.

Sorry about that! So I've submitted 1.2.1 to the asset store, but you can go ahead and use 1.2 in the meantime.

--Eric

46. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Turns out the 1.2 update on the asset store was broken. The 1.2.1 update should fix this, but in the meantime PM me if you need the missing files. I apologize for that.

--Eric

47. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Apparently I didn't do as good of a job with bug-killing as usual, so 1.2.2 is out:

SpriteTile 1.2.2

Additions:
    • Tile.UseTileEditorDefaults function, for using the per-tile defaults set in the TileEditor when calling Tile.SetTile/SetTileBlock.

Fixes:
    • Fixed bug where levels saved from the TileEditor would not save some properties correctly.
    • Fixed bug in the TileEditor where deleting the last sprite set in the list would not work correctly in the TileManager asset.
    • Prevented TileEditor from loading Multiple sprites where the count was > 1024.
    • Tile.SetRotationBlock and Tile.SetOrderBlock will work correctly on-screen if p2 < p1.

Again, if you bought from the asset store and are missing files, let me know. I've just submitted 1.2.2 to the asset store (with all the files, this time).

--Eric

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Just a note that there's a bit of an issue with setting tiles with physics colliders from code, if you're using SetCamera. This will be fixed in the next version, but this doesn't happen with SetCameraAuto, so if necessary you can use that in the meantime.

--Eric

49. juanci

juanci

Hi Eric5h5.

I've just bough your component yesterday and I've began to play with it. I have a problem with the "Save As" option for levels. When I try to use it it doesn't save any file on the project. I'm using your component on Unity 4.3.3. on a Mac. Maybe I'm missing something, can you help me about that?

Thanks in advance

Juan

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Make sure you're saving somewhere in the current project, in the "Assets" folder.

--Eric