Search Unity

Feedback [SpriteShape] Why are corners only available with three linear nodes in a row?

Discussion in '2D' started by Baste, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Baste

Baste

Getting good looking corners with SpriteShapes seems to be very hard, due to sprites intersecting in strange ways. The "corners" feature seems to be there to cover that, but it seems a bit too restrictive.

Starting out,
    First of all, the current version of the docs seems to miss any info about what triggers the corners. The docs says:

"
    *** All Corner options** Assign specific Sprites to be displayed on the Sprite Shape at the respective corners. Refer to the documentation on Corner Sprites for more information.
    "
    But of course the corner sprites documentation is missing, and the link just leads you to the same page.

To learn about how the corners work, I have to go back to the documentation for version 1.0, which is a bit annoying, and not something people will necessarily do!

After figuring out the restriction, I'm left with the question of "why"? I'd really like to be able to get a corner on continuous or broken nodes, or at least on linear nodes with continuous neighbors. It seems silly that I can't get a corner eg. here:

upload_2020-11-17_14-3-12.png

That looks like a corner to me! If I set the neighbors to be linear, I just get awful stuff that no amount of custom corner could fix:

upload_2020-11-17_14-4-15.png

So my question is, any chance to remove the restriction on corners that they'll only show up if you have thee linear nodes in a row? Also, any chance to document the corners again?