Search Unity

Resolved Sprites not affected by environment distance fog

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by robdood, Jan 23, 2021.

1. robdood

robdood

Hi all, I'm super new at unity, so please forgive the likely dumb question :)

I'm making a '2.5D' project while I learn the ropes. Initially I was using a terrain object with some very simple texturing / sculpting to add some depth, by turning on Fog in the Lighting > Environment panel.

I'd like to replace the terrain with some sprites / art of hills etc I've made.

Only problem is, when I put them into the scene they aren't affected by the distance fog. I presume this is because of the 'sprites-default' material, as when I try some of the other materials the fog does indeed work, however the colour information seems to vanish from the sprites when I do this, and they end up greyscaled.

Is there a setting within the inspector I can use to overcome this, or is it something I need to manually do / create a specific shader for?

I found this reddit post which contained a shader script which I've tried to attach to a new material, but it didn't work.

Any advice gratefully received :)

2. bgolus

bgolus

Use a material using a particle shader. That Reddit post response is weird because that shader absolutely won’t fix the problem.

3. robdood

robdood

Just to say thanks @bgolus - this worked fine, though I had to do some weird colour adjustments on the material to get it to look right! :D

4. MqcCheeze

MqcCheeze

It'd be nice if you told us how

5. jhocking

jhocking

Not sure if there are other approaches that'd work better, but what I just did was:

1. Create a new material
    2. Change the material's shader to Particles > Standard Unlit
    3. Change the material's Rendering Mode to Cutout
    4. Drag this to the sprite renderer's material slot