Search Unity

Feedback Sprites look strange when touching on the same plane

Discussion in '2D' started by GodsKnight117, Aug 11, 2022.

1. GodsKnight117

GodsKnight117

Hello and thanks to anyone who decides to comment.
    The game I am making is a space shooter and uses 2d sprites in a 3d environment so that I can still get some cool depth. I have an un-estimated large number of enemies spawning within a semi-random location at the top of my screen on the x-axis. The problem is that when the enemies spawn they have the same y-axis and therefore get some weird rendering issues/artifacts/strangeness when they touch (or even when they are just near each other).
    I know that my issue is because the sprites are on the same exact y-axis coordinate and can’t figure out which is on top they just go crazy. I could technically spawn the enemies on slightly different coordinates, but that would still have a possibility of spawning two on the same, just less so.
    My question is: does anyone know of the best approach to “fixing” or adapting to this? Surely this is a common issue.

Note: I realized I should say my sprites are using actual lit materials and not sprite materials.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

It is unfortunately very common for people to report visual "issues/artifacts/strangeness" without even providing photographic (screenshot evidence). It's so common that it looks like it has happened again.

That sounds like a great place to begin your investigation. There should be no visual interaction between two unrelated items. Drag two things into a scene and see what they do? Perhaps there's something else going on? Or perhaps you have post-processing enabled that does something?

3. GodsKnight117

GodsKnight117

VisualProblems.PNG Problem.PNG ProblemImage.PNG Here are some pictures for reference

4. GodsKnight117

GodsKnight117

I am confused because the above comment makes it sound like two separate sprites on a 3d plane and parallel to each other will have no "visual interaction." Am I misunderstanding this, I assumed it was a given they would react.