Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

SpriteRenderer in ECS

Discussion in 'Entity Component System and C# Job system' started by jooleanlogic, Feb 8, 2019.

1. jooleanlogic

jooleanlogic

Is it possible to get any official word on how this is going to be implemented in future?
    Is it going to be it's own component or just a quad RenderMesh and will it be an IComponentData or a SharedComponent like RenderMesh?

foxnne likes this.
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Sprite is just a mesh with a texture.
    So I wouldn't see any reason to be treated differently, than any other 3D object in ECS.

3. jooleanlogic

jooleanlogic

Ok thanks Antypodish. I'm not well versed on the rendering side of Unity. RenderMesh is missing things like Sorting Layer and Order in Layer but I imagine they'll be addressed in the March render update. I can fudge it with z position for now anyway.
    Just glad to get rid of another hybrid component finally.

Antypodish likes this.
  4. 5argon

5argon

Ooh where did they say this "The March render update"? Any roadmap plan about ECS appeared somewhere?

5. jooleanlogic

jooleanlogic

No roadmap (tiko), just this.

5argon and Antypodish like this.
  6. davenirline

davenirline

I made my own sprite renderer that can still use sorting layers and what not. What I did is I maintained my own mesh, then feed that mesh to GameObject that has MeshRenderer. This way, I can still make use of sorting layers and the like.

I had that problem before and I just can't wait for Unity to provide a fix. This hack works for me, for now.

7. jooleanlogic

jooleanlogic

I don't know enough about rendering to understand that but it sounds good. :)
    The point for me in using RenderMesh is to get rid of GameObject though.
    I switched to RenderMesh to test but perf took a nose dive because I lost all the batching I was getting with sprites and atlases.
    Maybe there's a work around for that but it's not pressing for me atm so I can wait and hope that Unity provides a solution before I need to.