Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprite Swapping

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by krupps, Dec 23, 2020.

1. krupps

krupps

Can we have a way to swap individual sprites(2D sprite swap) when connected to rigging.

I want to have 20 different heads with the same shirt and legs.

This means I have to create 20 different spritesheet files(PSB) to get this.

If I add them in a sprite asset(20 head png's existing in my project and all are the same size as the original sprite sheet) and try and change with the SpriteResolver, It deletes the bone icon and jumps the head to the far right of the screen. That head bone will never work again and I have to undo and/or redo the character.

This just doesn't seem efficient if you have characters that might wear a bunch of combinations of accessories.

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @krupps,
    Thank you for your feedback. So the main issue with swapping skinned meshes (Sprites) is that we need a way to link all the vertices to the correct bones in the rig. This is why the current workflow looks the way it looks right now.

I think your feedback is valid, and it is something we should look into. I'll add this to our backlog. Thank you for letting us know!

3. OGThonk

OGThonk

Apologies for necroing this thread, but I have ran into the same issue as Krupps did with regards to swapping individual sprites when connected to rigging.

Are there recommended best practices if I have roughly 10 alternative outfits for hair, clothes, hand accessories, neck accessories and weapon accessories?

Currently I have done the same thing as Krupps with PNGs, but seems like Unity does not work nicely when you use Sprite Asset Library and upload PNGs since they still delete the bones.

JBR-games likes this.
  4. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Could you explain what you mean by:
    And for future posts, please create your own thread.