Search Unity

Sprite Packer

Discussion in '2D' started by Khemri, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Khemri

Khemri

Hi,

I have a Unity pro licence but can not access the Sprite Packer window. I get this message : " Sprite packing is a developer preview feature". Is there anyway to unlock this ? I would love to use the new 2D tools on my current projects but as I m targeting mobile devices I really need to be able to pack sprites into atlases.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's already unlocked; the message is just for info (in case there are still bugs, I assume). Sprites will not be put in atlases unless you give them a packing tag. Also, regardless of the sprite packer window, sprite packing is automatic unless you have it disabled in project settings/editor.

--Eric

3. Khemri

Khemri

aah nice ! I didn't get the tag part ;)

thanks a lot !

4. cujino

cujino

read your line about the tag, I was missing that too, guess is not "visible".

ran the packer and it seems to create the atlas (with a lot of empty space around), but where is it saved?

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The atlases aren't meant to be editable, but I assume the files in Libary/AtlasCache are where they're stored.

--Eric

6. cujino

cujino

Thanks Eric, I need to use them for the animations

7. eviltenchi_84

eviltenchi_84

pretty sure my atlas was built but there is no folder AtlasCache that I can find anywhere in the project or on my computer(macbook pro). Was the folder automatically created for you guys?

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's in the project's library folder, but you won't be able to use those files manually.

--Eric

9. eviltenchi_84

eviltenchi_84

Ah, I see. I thought it was going to create a sheet like how Sprite Manager 2 creates them. So is this feature just for like memory saving purposes?

10. MD01

MD01

I also have a Unity pro license(just bought it today), but in menu bar "Window -> Sprite Packer" is grayed out anyway to fix it?

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

If you mean the menu item itself it grayed out, I have no idea. For me, even an empty project has a functional Sprite Packer window although you obviously can't do anything with it.

--Eric

12. TomasJ

TomasJ

Try creating a new project and then enabling sprite packer in the editor options window.

13. MD01

MD01

it works!!! Thank you :d

14. cujino

cujino

I figured out that one needs to import asset, using the "Import asset" to make sure the single atlas can be changed to multiplied and then sliced.

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

All you need is a packing tag for sprites.

--Eric

16. chirpytime

chirpytime

So presumably I'm not the only one who can't enable it from Edit -> Project Settings -> Editor -> Sprite Packer right? I changed it to "Always Enabled", restarted Unity, and the Window -> Sprite Packer (Developer Preview) menu button just stays grayed-out.

17. Rekkou

Rekkou

When i heard Tasharen joined Unity quite a while ago, i thought Unity 4.3 will have similar atlas system like NGUI

18. huxley

huxley

Sprite Packer (Developer Preview) menu button was grayed-out for me as well, "Packing Tag" did not activate it.

I finally solved it by switching the platform (in my case to iOS) in the player settings. After the textures were re-compressed, this option was available again.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  19. Khemri

Khemri

The sprite packer works fine for a while, until I add a large animations to my project (4 animation of about 100 frame of 1422*800) which is quite large but necessary for our project. Now the sprite packer is running out of memory when I tried to packed my atlases. I already try to split my animation with several tags but it has no effect. I also tried to add my animation one by one but the packer always crash when I add the fourth. I understand that unity editor is compiled in 32bit so it won't fully used my 16Go of Ram.
    Does someone have a workaround ? a way to split the atlas packing work, without loading every single sprite in ram ??

20. mitja

mitja

Hi!

Did u manage to fix it?

I have exactly the same problem.

21. Jay1118

Jay1118

Hi I am a bit confuse, so I read that we get no image when we pack the atlas and it is save in the AtlasCache and it can’t be physically touch there. Still is there a way to get it by code or something because I will like to get the draw calls down because even when the sprites are in the same atlas they still show separate in the draw calls or is the sprite packer just for memory.

22. TomasJ

TomasJ

23. Jay1118

Jay1118

Thank you very much that is exactly what I needed to know ^^

24. videoanime

videoanime

I just downloaded the free version and I don't understand, is this option "Sprite Packer" only available in the pro version? Because I enabled it on the Edit->Project Settings->Editor I put the mode of the "Sprite Packer" on "always enabled" and the option in the "Window" menu is disabled.

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's only available with the Pro license, yes.

--Eric

26. videoanime

videoanime

Ah ok, thanks Eric :)

27. IntDev

IntDev

Do I need mobile pro license to build for mobile with that feature (packing tag) or just the unity pro is enough?