Search Unity

Sprite Maker for Free?

Discussion in '2D' started by trevorbirdsall16, Apr 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trevorbirdsall16

trevorbirdsall16

Can someone tell me where I can make and import sprites into Unity? I cant use Photoshop because its to expensive and I cant afford it and the sprites that can be made in Unity are all temporary. So can someone tell me what service?

2. Chaduke1971

Chaduke1971

3. trevorbirdsall16

trevorbirdsall16

Is it free and can I import the sprites into Unity?

4. Chaduke1971

Chaduke1971

Yes its just as good as Photoshop and costs nothing. When you create your sprites in Gimp just export them into your Unity project Assets folder as .png (several other formats will work as well). Then just drag them into your scene.

5. trevorbirdsall16

trevorbirdsall16

Can I make sprite sheets?

6. eses

eses

@trevorbirdsall16

"Is it free and can I import the sprites into Unity?"

"Can I make sprite sheets?"

How about you do your own research and test different programs?

Go to alternativeto.net or Slant, search for one software or software type (google for slant pixel art or alternative to photoshop) and then compare all the options.

Read what others have said. Search for and read reviews of software that you think you might like.

There are many general purpose free and even open source software that can be used to create sprites, sprite animation, sprite sheets.

Tools like Gimp, Krita, Paint.NET are free general purpose graphics software. Gimp and Krita are very good in many things. Krita has some features Photoshop doesn't.

Then there are free / open source pixel art focused tools like graphicsgale, Grafx2, Piskel, Aseprite.

Then there are also web based apps that you can use like Lospec Pixel Editor.

YouTube is full of how to create pixel art tutorials. Do a search there, use proper keywords and you'll find many tutorials.

7. kdgalla

kdgalla

Sprites are just images. Nothing special about them at all. You can use any free image editing program to make them (ie. MS Paint, Paint.NET, Krita, inkscape...etc).

8. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

I personally use medibang paint for my sprites in combination with a drawing tablets. Its free and easy to use.

9. shinchakugames

shinchakugames

About 5 years late but uh ur kind of a dick

LeeYoung03, ntallis, BloP123 and 5 others like this.
  10. eses

eses

@shinchakugames

"About 5 years late but uh ur kind of a dick"

So it has been five years since what? Can you specify? Since my 2019 post?

So what was so offensive in my post you had to start insulting someone with your first post?

Is explaining how to find software you need and listing alternatives which one might have to search for most likely hours if not more, something you consider insulting?

Even if it were offensive for you, did you actually read Unity Community Code of Conduct?

So if we play by the book, in community rules, it says you should do your own research before posting (which OP clearly didn't do to be honest) - and you find this offensive?

"Search before you post – The Forums, Answers, and the User Manual are packed full of information so there may already be a solution."

Bye!

11. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Such insight. User warned.

ludwigcoupde and sakysah48 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.