Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprite Editor is now a package, however it should be added by default

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by CyberAngel, Sep 4, 2019.

1. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

While I still don't see why this was added as a package, as it is a standard feature of the Editor. If you create a new project and are not aware, you can not do sprite editing until the package is added.

So this should either NOT be a package, so it can't be removed or be added by default and not be able to remove it.

Some features make sense as packages, but this is one that defies logic.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Why though? Maybe I don't want sprites, why should it be there by default?

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  3. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

Because creation of Sprites and the options to edit them are standard features of the editor, it also a big part of UI Sprites as well and not just 2D sprites.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You could say that about most of the packages.

5. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

Give an example of a package that is required for a standard Editor Feature?

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't know what classifies a "standard Editor Feature" and I don't want to play a semantics game, but I can safely say there are packages that are much more essential than Sprites to me.

You could argue that sprites should be preinstalled and I might even agree, I do not understand at all why you are arguing that we shouldn't be able to remove it. I want to remove it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  7. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

Then that means you have no desire to create custom looking UI features.

The point is simple, Unity UI is a package, which is the taking everything that is to do with the creation of UI's and is now a package, but you can't make changes to the sprites of these UI's without the 2D Sprite package and therefore if Unity UI is installed by default then so should 2D sprite.

As it stands right now, if you want to create a sprite for your UI and edit the handles for a multi image sprite, you have to go an install an extra package. By your Logic, then Unity UI should not be installed by default either!!

8. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

And that is all that package does, by default you can still do everything else normally. Create Sprites, etc., you just can't use the Sprite Editor to make a sprite a multi Image for UI work.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No, actually it means that I think Unity UI is super slow and I always roll my own UI.

Maybe it should be installed by default, but I don't understand why it shouldn't be a package we can remove, as you're arguing in your first post.

10. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

Maybe you should actually read what was originally stated first.

Rolling your own, you still need the Sprite Editor regardless. Doesn't matter if you use sprites for your 2D game or for your UI look and Feel, the sprite editor is part of the standard feature of sprite editing for UI work.

And I will say it again, it should be added by default as it is a requirement for any Sprite Editing for UI work. Every game has to have Sprites for their UI and therefore it should be installed by default.

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You said this, no? I do not understand why I should be unable to remove it.
    No you don't.
    No it doesn't.

12. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

Yes you do need the Sprite Editor for UI work, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The following UI elements in the UGUI all require sliced images, which can only be sliced via the Sprite Editor.

Button, Toggle, ScrollBar, DropDown, InputField, Panel

SMH at your ignorance!

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Right.

14. tertle

tertle

The dude says he rolls his own UI and you proceed to insult him and then list a bunch of UGUI elements as your justification? He just stated he doesn't use them.

I feel like it is you who is ignorant and don't realise you don't have to use UGUI and that there are actually a lot of 3rd party UI options.

---

Anyway it should 100% be a removable package, I haven't used the Sprite Editor in years either.

Debatable if it should be included by default.

And the reason everything is being made modular is so that they can be updated seperate to unity releases.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    thelebaron and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  15. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Just because you need something does not make it needed by every project.

Literally the entire point of packages is to offload a lot of stuff that is not needed by EVERY project to make sure that only what is required is downloaded.

If you want sprites, add it. Otherwise you dont need to, the reverse would mean every project that does not use sprites (and there are far more that dont than do) would have to remove the unwanted and unecessary package at the start of each project, which sounds far worse.

I havent had to use the sprite editor in over a year. So why should I have to have it in my project, just because you cant be bothered to download a package?

Aside from that, I really dont think the way you are being agressive on here is doing anything to justify your case, and @AcidArrow is a respected and long standing member of this community who was simply trying to add a counter argument to your point. If you dont like that, then the forums isnt what you want as its a place for discussion.

16. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

If he rolls his own, then how does he splice his images without using the Sprite Editor!!! The Sprite Editor is what 2D Sprite is, what part of that is hard to understand.

Try it for yourself, go and install Unity 2019.3.0 and create a sprite in your favorite image package and drop it in Unity, now drop your button in the scene and try to add that without splicing it and see how far you get.

17. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

I would rather 2D sprite be default installed than 4 other packages default installed that hardly anyone uses.

18. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Lol, buddy I have used unity for more than a decade, and I have used it for my day job as a senior developer for about 4 years now. I am well aware of what is and is not possible with and without the sprite editor. I have even built my own in the past.

Based on what your saying it appears that it is you who has literally no clue how things actually work. No you dont need a sprite editor for rolling your own UI. The fact that you are saying that really shows you shouldnt be arguing about this, your just making yourself look like you havent bothered to do any research (which clearly, you havent or we wouldnt even be having this conversation).

I havent come here to argue with you, but really you should do some research next time before starting an uncessary argument with someone who was simply discussing your points (@AcidArrow not myself).

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Quite disturbing but people will get used to it, as they'll eventually get used to all the other packages that are no longer there by default either. ;)

20. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

The amount of people who spent the time and effort to rewrite the entire UI, Canvas and behaviors would be .000001% of users.

21. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

And I should point out, that if he rolls his own, then why is happy for the Unity UI to be default installed?

22. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

He never said he was? Your putting a lot of words in peoples mouths in this thread. If given it as an optional package I think he wouldnt install it too. I wouldnt.

Also your above comment about 0.000001% of users - please stop making blanket statements as if they are facts with no evidence. Your not proving your point by stating "facts" that have no evidence. Its a lot more than even 1% of users, I dont know many companies like ours that use Unity UI. We dont and neither do any of our competitors. I can only mention those because those are the facts I have. Im not going to make a statement guessing the percentage because ofcourse that would be a ridiculous point to make as a counter argument.

Anyway if these sort of statements are the sort of discussion to be had in this thread, then im done here. Not come here to argue with someone making things up to justify their already poorly justified change request.

Bye!

23. CyberAngel

CyberAngel

He is if he is saying he doesn't want this by default and he rolls his own.

And as for facts, considering the amount of users who use this for Mobile development is way higher than any other platform, these same users would not have a clue how to roll there own UI.

And for anyone rolling their own would have more of an issue with Unity UI being installed by default than 2D sprite and as he continually said he doesn't use sprites, he must be using some form of splicing for he UI or his rolling his own code to do that as well.

Either way the percentage of people who would use the UI and Sprite Editor would be extremely higher than the amount of people who use, Custom NUnit or Rider Editor or Test Framework or Unity Collaborate. Percentage wise it my staement of .000001% rolling their own UI, is pretty close to the mark in comparison.

24. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Right.

brunocoimbra likes this.