Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprite editor having fun with my psb?

Discussion in '2D' started by vladsigus, Oct 28, 2020.

1. vladsigus

vladsigus

Hey guys, I hope you could help me! I'm kinda new on unity, trying to make a character animation, with a swappable rig!

I'm following Romi Fauzi tutorial about this (not sure i can post youtube link here), and i got a problem from start : when I'm going into the sprite editor, the "shape" and the organisation of my work is changing, becoming a mess (impossible for me to know which arm is right or left!).

I'm using .psb import package and obviously a .psb file.

(photoshop mesh)
    upload_2020-10-28_2-5-35.png
    (sprite editor view with the import selected)
    upload_2020-10-28_2-6-12.png

When i do the same with a png, it's not changing, so I guess I missing something with the import setup.
    (with a .png everything stay the same)
    upload_2020-10-28_2-8-2.png

I hope i was clear enough about my problem, and someone will be able to help! Cheers!

2. vladsigus

vladsigus

Hey guys, I'm still stuck here haha, no one have any guess on this?

3. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    The import step of psb and png is quite different due to the data stored in the files. One of the main differences is that .psb files can contain layers, while .png cannot. When a .psb file with layers is imported into Unity, the psb importer tries to remove as much of the unused space as possible. The importer does this to minimize the memory used per layer. Each layers content is then laid out in the sprite editor window to be visible, yet minimize the area required per layer.

If you would like your .psb file to be laid out exactly like the .png file, you can merge all the layers into one, and the space between the body parts will be respected.

One of the main benefit of using psb files with layering is that you can create your character in a base pose, with all the body parts separated into different layers. In the sprite editor window, all the parts will be laid out to minimize the area being used, and in the Skinning editor, the character will be posed the same way as in photoshop. This will simplify the process of setting up the bones and skinning the character before animating it.

4. vladsigus

vladsigus

Ok, thanks for the answer, not an easy one to guess hahaha!