Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprite Atlas Packer V2

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by mahdi_jeddi, Jan 29, 2020.

1. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

Are there any info about this new sprite packer mode in editor settings in 2020.1a20? I can't find anything on the forums or on the manual or internet. All it's doing now is to disable the atlas controls and act as if the packing is not enabled for editor.

I would love to know what this option does and what are the improvements.

Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_2.png

DhiaSendi, ROBYER1, sama-van and 2 others like this.
  2. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Odd they call it v2 because this seems to be the third iteration. First we had sprite packing tags, then sprite atlas assets.

3. sama-van

sama-van

Interested as well :)

4. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

In case if I'm not mistaken, Sprite Atlas V2 has one particular improvement over Sprite Atlas V1 regarding asset bundles and, inherently, addressables. Sprite Atlas V2 will not duplicate the sprite texture inside a bundle (so only the atlas texture is included) provided that
    1 - the original sprite texture asset is not explicitly included
    2 - the sprite atlas is explicitly included in one of the bundles to avoid atlas dupes

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  5. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Will it be possible to just load the whole atlas and sprites in it via addressables without all the array and GetSprites stuff?

6. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

If I'm not mistaken the old system duplicated only sprites' info in very small sprite files with the same names and not the whole sprite with texture. I'm saying this from checking the file size report after the build: all of the sprite files were a few hundred bytes instead of multiple hundreds of kilobytes in our case. But any improvements to this system is really appreciated.

7. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

SpriteAtlas V2 is an experimental version to address the following:

1) Support for Cache-Server/Accelerator. (SpriteAtlas v1 maintained its own local cache in Library\AtlasCache but V2 uses Importer workflow and hence data is stored/cached in the regular artifacts folder thereby also supporting Cache-Server/Accelerator).
    2) As SpriteAtlas V2 uses Importer workflow and the source asset never gets modified(unless modified by user through Inspector of course).

Also the following are known limitations :

1) Adding a folder as packable is not yet supported in SpriteAtlas V2.
    2) Packing SpriteAtlas V2 is immediate (V1 defers packing to EnterPlayMode/Build time).
    3) Scripting support for V2 is not added yet.

We will address the above in the coming releases.

More info here : https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/SpriteAtlasExperimental.html

8. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

This does sound like some good improvements over the existing Sprite Atlas assets. Not entirely sure if the current one has some bugs or if my issues are caused by the design, but not modifying source assets really would be appreciated!

Any news or timeline on this? Is scripting support entirely non-existent or only hidden somewhere in the API? I'd really love to create the new SpriteAtlasV2 asset from code during my automatic import pipeline.

PS: I worked through some of the internal code and it looks as if I got it working to add sprites to the v2 atlas asset during the import process. I don't really understand why the following is required, but I needed to use InternalEditorUtility.LoadSerializedFileAndForget.

Code (CSharp):
    1. SpriteAtlasAsset atlas = null;
    2. var array = InternalEditorUtility.LoadSerializedFileAndForget(path);
    3. if (array.Length != 0)
    4.     atlas = array[0] as SpriteAtlasAsset;
    6. if (atlas == null)
    7.     atlas = new SpriteAtlasAsset();
    9. // Don't add duplicates.
    10. var spritesArray = sprites.ToArray();
    11. atlas.Remove(spritesArray);
    12. atlas.Add(spritesArray);
    14. var settings = atlas.GetPlatformSettings("DefaultTexturePlatform");
    15. settings.maxTextureSize = 4096;
    16. atlas.SetPlatformSettings(settings);
    18. // Since the SpriteAtlasV2 is an imported asset, we cannot simply edit
    19. // the loaded object representation. Instead, only a fresh instance
    20. // will serialize correctly (e.g. AssetDatabase.CreateAsset). However,
    21. // this would change the GUID each time, which the following call doesn't.
    22. InternalEditorUtility.SaveToSerializedFileAndForget(
    23.     new Object[] { atlas }, path, allowTextSerialization: true);

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    waishan, DoN2kcz and wuGor like this.
  9. LucidSloth

LucidSloth

Will SpriteAtlas V2 be back-ported to Unity 2019?

10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's very very unlikely. Updates to Unity 2019.4 LTS will only cover usability fixes aimed at improving the stability of the product to enable users to ship their projects. It will not cover the introduction of new features.

LucidSloth likes this.