Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprite Atlas locking up Unity + Scene View locking up

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by muffin1, Sep 25, 2016.

1. muffin1

muffin1

Hi everyone,

I've been using the 2D Experimental Preview 2 for about a week or so now and I've came across 2 major problems:

#1 Sprite Atlas creation/preview completely freezes Unity

Steps:

1) Create a new empty sprite atlas
    2) Add sprites to the atlas via the inspector
    3) Click the preview button

I've tried messing around with all of the settings, tried different sprites and formats, but no matter what I do it does the same thing; a window pops up with the title "Packing Sprite Atlases [50%]" and below the progress bar it says "Generating Atlas Masks".

I have left this running for 20 minutes and there is no change. If I leave Unity and open another program I am unable to return to Unity, nothing pops up and I cannot return to the desktop.

I've tried reinstalling Unity, creating new projects, and also by running "Unity.exe -logFile "C:/output.log" and checking the log file, but this shows no errors or problems and just mentions that the sprites have been added to the atlas.

I first noticed this bug when trying to run the demonstration projects for this new preview release and it kept crashing/locking at this same point.

#2 Scene View locking up after making a Tile Map

1) Create Tile Map
    2) Create some tile assets and paint on to a new layer
    3) Add a new game object (I added a sprite)
    4) Try moving the new game object from within the Scene View using the different grab tools

I'm not sure what seems to make this happen, but it's as if the Scene View becomes "unactive". I am still able to move game objects via the Transform component in the inspector, but I am unable to move, rotate or scale it within the Scene View.

The only way to stop this, that I have found, is to reload the project.

If you need any more information or screenshots just ask and I'll get them on here.

Thanks,

Tom

Attached Files:

2. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. We're still trying to figure out the bug with the generating atlas freezing up on packing. The Editor does lockup and I have to stop the process from Task Manager. It is a strange one, since I repeat the process with the same sprites and it works fine repeatedly until some point it happens. It's difficult to consistently reproduce but we do have our QA guys on it.

Scene View locking up could be related to a little workflow issue. There is a sequence of using the tile painting tools and switching to manipulating sprites where the paint tools are still selected. Usually selecting directly from the Transform Toolbar clears it. We're fixing this.

Cheers
    Joh

3. muffin1

muffin1

Thanks for the reply Joh.

The sprite atlas issue happens every time I try this, no matter what sprites I use, the amount of sprites or any of the settings for the sprites (single/multiple, compressed and uncompressed, max size etc) and also having the files placed in the same and different folders. I've not worked once. Is there anything I can provide which might help? Maybe my project files?

Also, what is the transform toolbar? I've tried selecting the game object from the project hierarchy panel which doesn't help, but I did figure that it was something to do with the tile map tools still being selected. How do I "deselect" the tool to stop this happening.

The sprite atlas isn't a major feature I need to use right now but I'd love to be able to play around with the tile map features a little more.

Thanks again Joh,

Tom

Edit: managed to figure out how to unselected the tile map tools, all seems to be working good now other than the sprite atlas issue.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016