Search Unity

Sprite Animation Help

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Jeea84, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Jeea84

Jeea84

Hi everyone!
    I was wondering, I bought a few character assets from the asset store, 2D assets, they are animated, but there's one or two animations I'd like to add to them as well.
    So does anybody know how to go about it?
    I'll have to create sprites, I know, but how do I get those poses? These assets, the sprites are like, head, arm, legs, so it's kinda overwhelming. I'm not too good with art, and I'm hopeless in animation.
    I'll appreciate any help and advice?
    Oh and if there are any Unity tools, let me know that too.

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

Typical simple approach:
    • Put all the things you'll be animation as children of a common game object (the "root" object).
    • Put an Animator on the "root" object, and create an Animator Controller in your project, and assign it to the Animator.
    • Open the "Animator" editor tab, and select the "root" object. Create one or more Animation Clips, and drop them onto the Animator, representing different states for that object.
    • Open the "Animation" tab, which allows you to edit keyframes. The easiest thing is to press the Record button, then modify the positions/rotations of the child objects. That will automatically record keyframes.
    • You can also manually editing the keyframes.
    I'm sure there are tons of video tutorials on creating some animations. If you have a bunch of spites for all the different body parts, then I imagine you'll need to manually rotate those in the different keyframes. However, you probably want to set up your "root" game object so that the rest of the sprites are children of the logical parent sprite. So, a "lower arm" sprite would be a child of the "upper arm" sprite, so that if you rotate the upper arm, the lower arm goes with it.

Jeea84 likes this.
  3. Jeea84

Jeea84

Again, you replied so fast. Thanks for the advice. I will keep these in mind. Since now I know UMotion Pro, it's going to be much easier. :)