Search Unity

Spore creature creator is out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Obscurity, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Obscurity

Obscurity

Attached Files:

2. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

This is one amazing piece of software and its only a trial :D Been playing around with it the last couple of hours and must say i`m überimpressed. I love how the creatures come to life instantly and get their own funny characteristics. Can`t wait for Spore to be released!

Here is my first creature :D

BTW... someone have managed to "abuse" it too, but thats how it is in this open internet-age:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/230016.html?playlist=featured

:D

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

preordered it together with spore and got the creature creator today. haven't had any time to use it yet but definitely will do so soon as I think spore might be the "new Civ II" :)

4. yangmeng

yangmeng

I've been amazed with this - and just with the trial version as they don't have downloads of the full version for Mac yet. My four-year-old daughter was able to make her first creature in a few minutes and has been churning out several new creations a day. EA did a fantastic job.

What I am really curious about is how in the world they did this turn-a-png-thumbnail-of-a-creature-into-a-model thing where you can download a 60 KB png, drag it into Creature Creator and get the full model! Does anyone have any clue as to how they are pulling that off??

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

My guess: it's a PNG file with embedded metadata comment. PNG, JPG and so on files can have arbitrary metadata in them (e.g. "created by gimp!" or "taken with canon eos").

Creature creator just puts the "data" for that creature in there. The data itself would be pretty small, just a bunch of parts (plus their sizing/attachment parameters), and some more data for texturing.

6. MuseGames

MuseGames

Actually, Maxis appears to be doing something almost unnecessarily clever for that creature metadata. It looks like it's stored in the least significant bit of each of the RGBA channels.

Random blogger's discussion of the technique

I'm not sure if this actually any more efficient than storing it in the image comments (because you may not be able to gain as much from image compression), but it's cooler. :)

7. yangmeng

yangmeng

Interesting. I would have thought you would need bigger file sizes to store and pass around the relevant info.

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Hm... have you seen what is possible to do, for example, in four kilobytes? :roll:

9. Obscurity

Obscurity

Demo scene stuff like that always baffles me. Watch out though, the mojo dreams one had a trojan horse in it. Or at least so said my anti-virus.

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

AFAIK, that is false alarm. Some anti-virus software detect that executable is compressed with some compressor (that was also used to compress some virus), and complain loudly. Your mileage may vary though (and most of those demos do have video captures on youtube... that should be safe to watch :))

11. Marc

Marc

It often comes at the price of some waiting for things to load tho and we all know we want our cookies now! :D

12. yangmeng

yangmeng

No I hadn't. I feel a little embarrassed by all this at how bloated my latest project has become - I'd better start optimizing!

13. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

I REALLY don't like how the app always runs in fullscreen. I looked for ways to make it windowed but I found nothing. Very annoying. I haven't got a chance to play around with it yet, too busy trying to make the thing obey and window.

Interesting. But how do you know it's Maxis? :) EA and Maxis are working together on this one, so it could be the EA guys. :)

heheh, I'm just kidding with ya. :wink:

14. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

I FINALLY gave up with the video and decided to try this thing out..

I was astonished! :eek: This thing is the ultimate character creation tool! It's like building with Pla-Doh in 3D, with Mr. Potato Head parts for eyes, feet and such. :) Very cool! :D

<prediction>

Spore is going to have a very large user/fanbase when it's released! :wink:

</prediction>

15. jashan

jashan

Your predication is wrong ;-)

It already has an incredibly large user/fanbase even before it is released...

16. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Not necessarily. There will be a large user/fanbase, because there already is one, and it will not get any smaller. So, at the time of release, there will be a large user/fanbase.

See? I tole ya. :wink:

17. porovaara

porovaara

Your guess is spot on. If you pay attention there is a reason they don't allow you to pick custom colours or create new mappings on the fly. The PNG itself is somewhat non-standard and uses some of the reserved space for all the extra information.

Having seen the other editors in action (building, vehicle) this is going to be one hell of a game and destroy productivity for WAY too many people. I do wish you could export the things created in their editors as it would be a very simple way to build a ton of models quickly.

18. Obscurity

Obscurity

Here's another cool related thing. They've released a prototype that they created on the way to making Spore.

http://www.spore.com/comm/prototypes

I think that it's really cool that they are sharing those kind of things (although the code would be even better).

19. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

20. DaveMB

DaveMB

As long as the Spore Creature Creator license allows for it, that is. If it did, it could be a lot of fun! Even if not, it would still be fun to see what people came up with!

21. ruedaminute

ruedaminute

Just wanted to update the thread, it's in fact possible to get spore creatures into Maya. The textures and the rigging both come through, so all you have to do is animate it and the animations come in really nicely into Unity. I wrote it up if anyone is interested.

22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Yoe can get them also easy into Lightwave 3D. There is somewhere a pdf file that explained the way how to and maybe that can be adapted to other 3D software as well.

23. granada

granada

Great fun

Dave