Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

"SPOCEAN" - FPS crew-based naval combat

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Alehr, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Alehr

Alehr

Hello everybody! A friend and I have been working on this unity powered project for a while now. It's a team-based, galleon crewing extravaganza of sorts. We've got some screenshots and videos to show, as well as a playable build that you can find at our website!

http://www.spocean.net/

The game's still in a pretty early stage, but we're at a point now where we'd love to hear some feedback!

2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

That looks smashing, I played a version of your game a while back off to try the latest version :)

3. Alehr

Alehr

Thanks, yeah I think you'll definitely be interested in this update, then. It's generally more user friendly now, and thanks to unity and fholm's lidgren networking package, we've been able to create nice, customized net code foundation that we hope will eventually support up to eight ships on each side and 40 players on a server.

4. roger0

roger0

Looks really neat. I like how the guns are not aimed, but players have to load them manually. How long have you been working on this? It doesnt look like early stage. Have you been inspired by guns of icarus?

5. Alehr

Alehr

We got some nice feedback a while ago with a version we tried out in the UDK, http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/25/deviating-from-cannon-spocean-beta/ but the UDK had too many networking roadblocks that kept us from increasing the scale of the whole experience.

Then real life forced us to postpone development for a while... :)

And now we're back in Unity! And it's been a dream with this new engine. We ported the artwork over from our UDK build, but all the game scripting has been written from scratch in about three months.

It is somewhat similar to guns of icarus, and air buccaneers, but we've gravitated much more towards needing to coordinate with your teammates. The not being able to aim the cannons yourself is a perfect example of that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  6. Alehr

Alehr

A new free version of Spocean has been released, and there's a speedy 30 slot dedicated server up for anyone who's interested in giving it a go. The bigger features are yet to come, but this version has some much-improved netcode (fingers crossed), all around tweaks and a design solution to the endless punching battles, which in the past have had a way of stopping every match dead in its tracks.

http://www.spocean.net/download/

Our kickstarter failed, and I'm the only developer on the project now, but I'll keep putting out free releases for the foreseeable future! I can't shake the feeling that there's intriguing core gameplay here that needs to be developed and explored at all costs.

On a more technical note, I seem to have a slow memory leak in the server when it runs in batchmode, which crashes the process after about five hours. Has anybody run up against a similar problem before? There was another leak that was being caused by not disabling skinned mesh renderers. That was a nightmare discovery process. There must be some other strange quirk that's going on but I can't seem to pin it down...

7. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Great game, i would love to see more feedback when your ship takes damage (camera shake, Bloom flash, etc). Maybe even some camera sway for the boats movement, just little features that really make it that whole lot more immersive. I think its great what you're doing keep it up.

8. caldrin

caldrin

Im not a massive fan of catroon style graphics but its done very well and it looks pretty fun :)

I will check it out as sono as i get the chance :)

9. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Looks nice, love the characters style

10. Alehr

Alehr

Thanks, I've had to take over the programming work, which has kept me away from developing the art for quite a few months now, but hopefully the builds will start to stabilize soonish and I'll be able to afford to do do some more passes on the look and feel.