Search Unity

Split terain basic question

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by msmoyle, Sep 27, 2018.

1. msmoyle

msmoyle

Hi, brand new to unity and forum and i don't really understand enough about these concepts to describe what i want to know so googling things is hard.
    I see people saying you must cut up large game maps to load specific areas to preserve resources.
    Does this process also help me while im working on the terrain in the scene view?
    i have a powerful PC but my large and detailed height map is slowing down my sculpt tools.

also any very very basic tips on how to avoid lag and crashes while working on this map as one open world level would be appreciated since i don't even have any objects on the terrain yet and already overloading.

Thanks.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you slice up the terrain and then only load one or a small number of the slices at a time in the editor, it should improve performance while editing the terrain in the scene view.

Avoiding lag depends on what is causing the lag, you could take a guess that you just have too much loaded at once, or you can take a look at what is causing the lag in the profiler.

Avoiding crashes depends on what is causing the crashes, but from the context I'd suspect you're running out of memory. Again the profiler will help with determining how much memory you're using, as well as just looking at the process in something like Windows task manager. You can also look at the editor's log file after a crash to see if it recorded the cause. If you're running out of memory you can just use less memory, add more memory, or free more disk space for use as virtual memory.

3. msmoyle

msmoyle

Hi thanks. I found that editing terrain settings fixed my issues.