Search Unity

Feedback Split + combine craziness and other problems

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by iamarugin, Jun 7, 2020.

1. iamarugin

iamarugin

I found that a lot of time I need to change some components of vector3/vector4.
    In code it is very simple:

Code (CSharp):
    2. float2 someFloat2;
    3. float3 someVector;
    4. someVector.xy *= someFloat2;
    But in Shader Graph it looks like this:

Which is really crazy. I found that almost 50% of my graphs consists from splits and combines. And the only reason for this, is because we can not configure outputs of splits and inputs of combines.

Is there any plans to solve this problem in any way? It is very, very common operation. Amplify shader editor has very good solution for it.

Also chains of Multiply nodes is crazy too if we have more than two arguments. Dynamic or configurable number of inputs for multiply/add would be perfect.

Also some grid for snapping nodes, please, for the sake of god! I am not even asking Get/Set Variable nodes which is must have for organizing your graphs.

florianBrn and alexanderameye like this.
  2. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Snapping nodes to a grid is coming in a future update!

I agree, I do splits/combines a lot as well, would love some more elegant solutions!

iamarugin likes this.
  3. aivo

aivo

I also think the RGBA notation is confusing. Why not XYZW? .. I mean splitting a position in its RGB values? lol
    May there could be a Split that auto generates the outlets whereas the combine node has a setting to combine a vector2, 3, 4?

4. iamarugin

iamarugin

To be honest, the only reason I don't use Amplify Shader Editor, because there is no Sampler State node and it looks like the developer don't want to add it for some reason. Other than that it is a great tool, where most of described problems was solved.

5. iamarugin

iamarugin

As far as I can see, none of these issues were resolved in the 2020x. This is so sad.