Search Unity

Spline Tool - Create Follow Traverse Spline Path

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WalonCab, Apr 9, 2020.

1. WalonCab

WalonCab

Spline Tool is a very simple and easy to use tool that allows you to create paths and traverse them with a few simple scripts. Create any path you need and define how you want game objects to follow it, different options available such as Loop or Ping-Pong.

Features:

- Multiple types of nodes {Free, Aligned, Mirrored, Auto, Poly} that allows yo to create whatever shape you have in mind.
    - Simple editing by cloning the nodes and deleting them when need it.
    - Unity complete integration, user can attach scripts to each node of the spline.
    - Integrate your own scripts throw some defined events such as { OnSplineChanged, OnReachEnd, OnReachStart }
    - Move gameObjects along the spline in both directions {Forward, Backward} and with different modes {Loop, Ping-Pong, Stop}
    - Multi-threading

Check this Demo Reel to see what kind of things you can achieve with the tool. A few new improvements will be available soon as well.

I'm currently using the tool in a few demo scenes and the results are satisfying. Since I'm always thinking of ways to improve the tool; check for updates frequently as new features may be added. Any suggestions or feedback that you can offer will be very much appreciated. Feel free to contact me for questions, concerns, feature requests, whatever! I'll do my best to make sure the tool meets your needs.

If you have any questions, feel free to write me at waloncab@gmail.com

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. WalonCab

WalonCab

Mini-Demo just to show how the spline can be traversed. A cube is being used in this video, but any game object can be attached, with any offset needed. Some of the features you find in the iterator spline script:

- The script can be attached to any game object, so you can use the unity hierarchy to set up any offset you might need.
    - Decide if you need to look at the spline direction or not. {Update Pos, Update Rot}
    - Visualize the data in the inspector {distance, curve segment, curve index...}
    - Move the iterator directly from the unity inspector
    - Attach a script that handles the movement and decide the speed and mode such as {Loop, Ping-Pong}
    - Use the integrated unity events to create custom callbacks to events such as {OnReachStart, OnReachEnd}

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  3. WalonCab

WalonCab

This is a music visualization example to show how the spline can be changed at runtime, anything, the nodes, their modes, the way its drawn...

4. MrJohnWeez

MrJohnWeez

I just bought the latest version from the asset store and when I open the test scenes up in unity 2020.2 and try to view the nodes many errors occur and unity becomes unusable. Can this be fixed soon? If not I will have to request a refund.

Attached Files:

5. WalonCab

WalonCab

Hi, please send me an email with the screenshot and what you did to end up having the error. I'll try to reproduce it in unity 2020.2 and fix it soon. Thanks.

6. WalonCab

WalonCab

Here is a demo showing proper normal fixing behavior along the entire spline. Since calculating the normal adds a little bit more computational time (and mostly and approximation is just enough), the tool allows you to enable and disable this feature.

7. WalonCab

WalonCab

Right now, the tool also support some basic mesh generation. If you're interested in splines and mesh have a look at the development of Spline Wall

8. demimonde

demimonde

just bought this asset. looked really cool, but unusable in 2021.1.4. throws about a million MissingMethod exceptions, as well as GUI Errors ("pushing more GUIClips than you are popping"). nothing's actually drawing in the editor.

Tensor2 likes this.
  9. Tensor2

Tensor2

Seeing that the developer hasn't replied in a very long time and does not list which versions of unity or render pipelines are supported, I think its safe to assume this asset is abandoned and broken