Search Unity

SplashScreen & licensing question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coder89, Aug 26, 2021.

1. coder89

coder89

Hello,

My team ans I are building an app and we are planning to embed Unity Player as a component on one of the app's views.

The app will initially be available as "Public Beta" for free and we are hoping to do so without a need for paying for the Unity Pro licence from day one. We will buy the license once testing is completed and we start charging for the app (guesstimate: 1-6 months depending on how smooth things go ;) ).

So now the licensing/legal/trademark question goes...

Since we are embedding Unity Player as a sub-component of our app, should we:
    Option A: let Unity Player display its' startup splashscreen "as-is" when it is warming up, and we are allowed to make our custom "App launch" splash screen without Unity trademark?
    Option B: we should replace "App launch" splash screen with the default Unity's one (even before the view including Unity Player component is shown on screen)?

I suspect it's option A but we decided to play it safe and not to make any assumption - just want to be fair to the Unity terms and conditions.

Thanks,
    /Luke

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Firstly: Talk to support, nobody can help you here.

Secondly, you will have to buy a license. Its based on what your organisation earns, what you "intend" to do with the app means nothing. So if you are over $100,000 revenue in last 12 months including funding, you need plus, if over $200,000 including funding, you need pro. For each seat (Each working team member that will be in unity).

But speak to support, they are the only ones you can ask about this.