Search Unity

Splash Screen problem(probably caching issue)

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Henrik-Flink, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

Hi there,

So I was getting our game up to speed with the iPhone X, fixing the aspect ration and launch screens etc.

And the problem I'm having is, when running it in the simulator, when the game first starts up the correct sized iPhone X image is shown, but then when Unity starts to load(with the circular loading animation) it changes the image(that is stretched etc) to an image that is not in use by the project anymore. I've both removed that image from the Unity project and re-installed Unity but the problem still persists.

So my question is now: is there any possibility that either Unity or XCode have that image cached somewhere? And if so, where can I remove that cached data? Or is there any other possibility for the image to be saved somewhere since the image just not exists on the hard drive anymore...

2. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

So after doing some more testing with the player settings in Unity - resetting the settings and leaving the splash screens empty - it still includes those old splash screens into the XCode project when there should be none. So I guess this also points to some caching problem with Unity...

3. PavelLU

PavelLU

Unity Technologies

4. robertoranon

robertoranon

Yeah, probably, but this is deemed as FIXED why we still have the problem

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The issue is fixed in 2018.2. It has also been backported to some patches, check if you are using one of these or later.
    2018.1.0b12
    2017.3 - Not out yet, In next 1-2 weeks.
    2017.2.2p2
    5.6.5p3

6. robertoranon

robertoranon

Thanks for the info. So you mean 2017.2.2p2 has the problem fixed, but 2017.3.1f1 not? Because I am using the latter one...

Edit: nevermind, I was reading your answer before coffee. It is clear that my version still has the problem. Thanks again

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    karl_jones likes this.
  7. JediKnight777

JediKnight777

hello! im using Unity 2018.2.0f2 and also encountering the same problem. is the fix not available in this version?

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The fix is in that version. If you still have issues please file a bug report.

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I seem to be encountering this issue or one very similar to in 2018.4.5f1. After changing the splash image, the old version keeps loading up. During testing I have completely deleted the old image from the project. It still appears as the the first image during the load sequence.

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Is this a background image or one of the logo sprites? We generate a cached version in the Library folder under SplashScreen, try deleting that file/directory.

11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That folder only shows up sometimes. If I delete it before building, it has no impact. If I delete my whole library, then it will work. Obviously that is not practical.

Do the images in the legacy section work at all? (2018.4.5f1).
    No matter what I set in the other fields, it always defaults to "Mobile Splash Screen" (though it is a crapshoot as to what that image actually is)
    I created labeled images for each of the listed images, yet the build always shows the first one:
    upload_2019-8-18_20-42-29.png
    When I build directly to my iPhoneX this is what happens:
    upload_2019-8-18_21-13-1.png
    Not the image I have selected for the iPhoneX.

The documentation is vague and unclear:
    What is meant by "6+"? Does it mean iPhone 6 Plus or iPhone 6 and higher? If the later, why is there landscape options for iPhoneX, if the former, why is there a landscape for 5.5?
    What is meant by "The specific Launch Image override"? is the "override" the image from that list?
    The versions listed are for the hardware, correct? Presumably there are typos in the descriptions, yea? (iPhone 4 != iOS 4)
    Do the formats have any impact on what is used and how it is used?

I can get it to work sort of, by replacing the Mobile Splash Screen with the proper device image but that isn't any good.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

So, as a test, I tried it on a empty project, with all the legacy images set. I get the exact same results. It always uses the Mobile Splash Screen. (iPhone 1x). If I remove that one in the settings, it is just black.

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey I'm away for a few weeks so I can't get to the code base. Can you file a bug report?

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ok, I think I have solved it. First, caching is a freaking killer. I need to remove the app from my device and restart my device. I also need to delete the build project and do a new one after quit and restarting Unity first. Then, to get the launch screens to work, I need to set the launch screen settings for ipad/iphone to "None" . Because that makes sense. The previous settings worked as expected in the prior version of unity. Presumably I'll need to redo all this when we upgrade 2019?

15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Basically update the docs to A) be clear, B) to be correct and use correct and consistent terminology and C) accurately explain what is going on and what the expected behaviour should be. Presumably "Launch screen type: None" actually means legacy behaviour, and "Default" means randomly select images. For something like this clarity is pretty critical, as the loop to test and build on device takes a while. Adjust image > clear caches > restart device > build > run > see result. 20-25 minutes per loop is time consuming.

(Sorry, long day trying to figure out why a feature basically needs to be turned off to function correctly)

karl_jones likes this.
  16. Steven1112

Steven1112

Using Unity 2018.3.12f1, testing with iPhoneX, change new launch screen image and build with old image. Delete the whole library folder does not help.
    The reason is the temp folder still has a cache with the old launch screen image.
    So the solution is save and close the Unity after the changing to the new launch screen image. Then reopen the Unity and build again. Now, the temp folder has the right image.
    Finally, delete the mobile app and install again.
    Solved!

17. Suwas93

Suwas93

Tried all the above workarounds...still have this bug on 2020.2.2f1. This is not good from Unity.

18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report as the one in this thread has been fixed. Its likely something else with similar symptoms.

19. mimmomarc

mimmomarc

The issue is still present in version 2020.3.8f1