Search Unity

Splash screen in Unity 5.4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnSmith1915, Jul 24, 2016.

1. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

Hi, new splash screen will be arrive in Unity 5.5 (possibly in a year o more) then while what? the text "Made with Unity Personal Edition" will be change to "Made with Unity" or other text in Unity 5.4?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The splash screen won't change much in 5.4. It still has the made with personal edition although plus and pro users won't have that. This is because the custom splash screen and licensing changes came after the Initial work done last year for the 5.4 splash. 5.5 won't be a year away. 5.4 has taken 6~ months and we have no intensions for this time to increase. Hopefully it will reduce for 5.5. A beta of 5.5 will be available shortly after 5.4 goes live so you won't have that long to wait to try out the splash screen although it may not be immediately available in 5.5. It depends if it's ready or not. We have changes we want to make based on recent feedback and we need to finish implementing all platforms.

zoran404 likes this.
  3. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

I'll be waiting for the 5.5 beta, thanks.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its worth noting that if the splash screen is important to you, Unity Plus is available now. Plus lets you remove the splash screen completely. And its pretty reasonably priced.

Brity and JamesArndt like this.
  5. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Just removing the "Personal Edition" text would be great.

6. zoran404

zoran404

That feeling when people complain about free software lacking features of paid versions...

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

That feeling when people complain, Unity agrees it wasn't very smart, and removes it from future releases...

Which if you think about it carefully, and don't just kneejerk react that it's simply complaining, you'll come to conclusion that it never made any actual sense to place the words "Personal Edition" onto the splash screen. Nothing about that choice of wording says "professional".

Don't be quick to lump the sensible developers in with the same crowd who whinge about the dark skin.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  8. zoran404

zoran404

@Ryiah That's part of my point.
    If you're not making enough to justify buying at least plus license then there's little point in pretending to be a professional.
    But this has been argued already and I don't care enough to be convincing people here.

Brity, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  9. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

Some weeks ago a user publish a asset (not a crack) to set a dark theme in Unity, then is ridiculous, a user gives free one simply and essential feature for reduce eyestrain that Unity charge for us$35/month.

10. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I'm sorry that I can't be as professional as you obviously are. I know I am a horrible person for preferring not to see "personal addition" on the splash screen.

CarterG81 likes this.
  11. zoran404

zoran404

It's a custom theme, it looks notably different to the official unity themes. And it's not on the asset store, it's on github.
    For anyone why's wondering what we're talking it's the zios theme.

I'd like to note that a simple editor skin or a splash screen is not what you're expected to pay for. It's the engine features.
    It's true that with v5.0 all features are now available for free, but that doesn't mean the developers don't need to get paid anymore.

Compare this with 3dsmax or adobe photoshop. No free versions there (not counting hacks or student licenses).

12. zoran404

zoran404

I joked about you being a cheep ass for wanting professional tools for free.
    And you respond by sarcastically saying that I'm unprofessional for saying professional tools should be paid for?
    What? Should all pro tools be free now?
    Do you really expect to get the same features from free software as from the paid versions?
    Do you not realize that the only reason you get all the engine features and don't have to pay those 35$/mo in the first place is because many others have paid for the pro version for years?

13. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

Man it irks me when i see guys bitching over the dark theme.What! You can't make a good game with the plain old theme???

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Where did I say that I wanted professional tools for free?
    Where did I say you were unprofessional?
    Where did I say that I expect the same features from free software as the paid versions?
    Did you realize that I was one of the ones paying $75 a month for Unity. No you didn't.

You have sure assumed a lot about me. You don't know me. You don't know my business. You don't know my target market. You apparently don't know that the original plan was for both Unity Free and Plus to have a splashscreen that did not say personal edition. All I suggested was that I (and presumably many others) would be happy to have a splash screen that did not say Personal Edition while we were waiting for the custom splash screen. You felt the need to jump on the comment and insult me.

CarterG81 likes this.
  15. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

Things as a text in the splash screen or a Dark Theme UI are not tools.

CarterG81 likes this.
  16. Murgilod

Murgilod

Do you ever post about anything else?

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Apparently he made his "last post" back in June. :p

18. zoran404

zoran404

What's with people and wanting to argue on public forums?
    @GoesTo11 If you have a point to argue then PM me, so people don't get needless notifications

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No you're in your rights to ask, cept the answer is no.

More accurately:

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  20. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

Yes, i work with Unreal for a time after see new crazy Unity prices, then Unity was recognised that the new prices are a insult to many users and change the prices again and then I back.

21. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Thank you Hippocorder but my reply was in response to that quote. I would imagine that creating a custom splash screen is relatively complex and time consuming thing to create so I am not the least bit surprised that it won't be ready for 5.4. On the other hand, they would already have a splash screen that does not say "personal edition" and it would take almost no effort to put it in. The only reason not to put it in right now is to try and maximize profits from plus (which is their prerogative).

If you don't believe me that the free version was not going to have "personal edition" on it, go searching the new products thread. Now if Unity have changed their plans and are now going to put "personal edition" on the custom splash screen, they need to state that. Hopefully @karl_jones can clarify. A simple splash screen is much less desirable than a custom one so I am not sure why my suggestion is taking flak.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Ah I fell into the trap of "oh it must take them almost no effort" but it does take them a lot of effort and time actually, all changes are peer reviewed and so on, and they could be doing better things with their time. I had it explained to me as if I was a mindless abomination with no concept of how Unity works (this is true).

23. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

But presumably they would have already gone through most of that effort already since that was the original plan. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. No biggie, it was just a simple suggestion.

24. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We did start the process to remove the personal edition text from 5.4 but decided that the time spent doing this was better spent on getting the custom splash screen ready for 5.5.
    It may sound like a trivial thing, just remove some text but we are touching areas that if we break would have a huge impact(crashing, game not starting etc). So we then need to have QA test 20+ platforms and convince our release managers that it's something that should be allowed in at a time when bug fixes(stability) are the only thing being allowed in.
    I'm doing most of the work on the splash screen at the moment so if the personal edition text needs removing them i'm not working on the new system and we still have a lot of work to be ready for 5.5 (We have already made several changes based on feedback since Friday).
    So it's nothing to do with us trying to twist your arm for more money, we just believe the time is better spent on the new splash screen and not hacking a temporary version together for one version which would then also need supporting(patches, upgrade scripts etc).
    That said we have a tentative plan to create an experimental build version of 5.4 with the new splash screen so it may be possible for you to use the new system in 5.4 but it's still early to say and relies on us actually having the system finished.

So in short, bear with us we are trying to make the new splash screen awesome. It may take some time but it will be worth the wait :D

25. Ryiah

Ryiah

Right. Or to word it another way "I jumped to the conclusion that prices were set in stone despite not going live yet". :p

26. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Thank you for the explanation.

27. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

If you may be create this experimental build in one of 5.4 subversions or patches it's been very good for us (as i think) because white splash has non-professional view.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  28. Lazarus-Overman

Lazarus-Overman

Simma down Hulk(s). The "Personal Edition" tag isn't so bad. After all, if you can release a successful game and people see you did it on an entry level form of the game engine it only makes the project seem that more impressive. Of course, the glaring, blank page background does seem to be a bit of overkill, whatever the financial motives may have been.

29. CarterG81

CarterG81

The level of ignorance and general asshollery in this thread is...well, typical for the inernet. But I expect better from this community, even though there is no reason to.

The Dark UI is a bigger deal than simply wanting to look cooler.

There are physical issues dealing with light sensitivity & eye sight that are more important than what many of you realize in your childish attacks on users who want it free.

I'd also like to point out that in some instances, users like zoran are the equivalent of someone insulting a disabled person when they make a fuss about the wheel chair ramp requiring a $70/month subscription.

Then again, maybe these losers are like libertarians & drool at that idea. Mmmm, that's good profit!

As for the splash screen? Maybe people feel uncomfortable using an engine that screams "Hey, I am an amateur!" And if you are like zoran and equivocate how much money you have with how professional you are? You're a disgusting person who is truly lost in this world.

Priorities people. And for the love of God, think twice before allowimg your first instinct be to denigrate other users because they want a feature to be free. It's in their right to bargain as to how they should pay, and in a better world we would be able to make individual deals based on individual circumstance, like giving dark GUI upon request if the user claims to have eye strain. It's just a freakin GUI... it's not like theyre asking for profiling tools. OH WAIT, those are now FREE. Along with tons of other features that used to be locked.

Unity could at least have an awesome, slick splash screen for free users, rather than trying to point out they lack the resources to go Pro. And don't give me this BS about removing the text needing to be peer reviewed. That is the type of lunatic beurocracy found in incompetent organizations. Just remove it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  30. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Why is this even a thread, seem pretty dam clear cut to me. If you aren't paying it is 100% reasonable that unity be able to advertise in your game using their splash screen. Especially considering the Pricing for both the Plus and Pro versions is very reasonable when compared to other pro software. Even more so when compared to UE4 since its flat rates, not royalties.

31. CarterG81

CarterG81

The splash screen shouldnt make the end user think youre some 13 year old. I mean "Personal Edition"? Come on. Letting gamers know you use Unity is embarassing enough (although thats stigma is slowly fading). I, as a gamer, cringe when I find out a game is made with unity. Unless it's a browser game, then np for some reason.

They could at least give some options too. A white basic as they have, and maybe a cool slick fancy one? (edit: which is what they seem to be doing, along with other changes)

Or you know, just remove that text as many request. (which is only as big a deal as the incompetence of management)

People have more issue with that embarassing text than the much more acceptable splash screen.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  32. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The text is going. Go up a few posts and you can see I have said that and explained why it is still in 5.4.

33. CarterG81

CarterG81

Yea, I already read that, no problem. It's not your fault your managers make things needlessly difficult. That's just a Unity thing, and something all of us have to deal with (especially you). My beef is with them, not with you. And maybe with whoever's idea it was in the first place ;) hehe.
    I'm sure you'd love to have more control over your process, as would we. (Makes me wonder if this is the majority cause of Unity's problems: bureaucracy & upper level decision making.) Would explain why some of the same "strategies" have been in place since the beginning, so so many years ago.

34. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Its really not like that at all. Developers have a lot of autonomy and we have a very flat structure. Find out more here :D

35. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

he just likes bashing on ut

36. idurvesh

idurvesh

Are Splash Screen Tools coming to 5.4? Upgrading to 5.5 or 5.6 is breaking our project so we had to stay on 5.4

37. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No 5.4 is locked down. We would not backport a feature, its too risky and not the purpose of patches. If you are having issues upgraded do please file bug reports so we can fix the problems.

idurvesh likes this.
  38. idurvesh

idurvesh

There were lot of issue, I able to solve most of but one remain is of apk size...New version increased size by 20+ mb ..Our apk was around 81mb in 5.4, with new versions it crossed 100 mark

39. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filed a bug report about the increased apk size?
    This may be of use too https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ReducingFilesize.html

40. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

karl_jones likes this.
  41. idurvesh

idurvesh

I didn't but if you make apk via a complete empty project in Unity 5.4, it gives 18.9MB, whereas in Unity 5.6 it gives 21.1MB....So if empty project caused to an addition of 2MB then if we use more of Unity's features then I think apk size will increase more...What you think??

My project size is above 1GB so can't file bug with such huge repository ...

42. idurvesh

idurvesh

For Personal edition, they blur the background, makes me wonder why they even have given in personal version....Why not disable only...It looks ridiculous...Though I admire there efforts