Search Unity

Spine + Timeline : unable to preview multiple tracks at the same time

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Kiupe, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hello,

We use Spine as our main 2D animation tool and we are really happy to be able to use it with Timeline. But there is one limitation that seems to be "Unity side", we can't preview more than one "Spine animation track" at the same time.

Short explanation :
    You can find the whole post here

Would it be possible to change that ? Or is there an other solution to achieve that ?

Thanks

2. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Hi,
    Can you open a bug with a small repro project containing some Spine animation? will be easier for us to track down the issue.

Post the Bug ID here so we can track it down faster too :)

thanks!

3. Kiupe

Kiupe

Ok, I will try to do that today and keep you posted.

Thanks.

thierry_unity likes this.
  4. Pharan

Pharan

Hey,

It's not quite a bug as much as it is some missing things in the API.
    Sean from the Timeline team PMed me recently in our forums.

I'll just paste what I sent him here.

----------

There are some things that would help.

We'd like users to be able to just add animations to the timeline easily. This includes
    1. being able to drag an asset to the Timeline and having it create a clip for them. and...
    2. automatically setting a clip's properties like its name, duration when this new clip is created. and...
    3. warn the user if the clip is somehow invalid for the given bound object to the track.

I haven't been regularly checking the changes to Timeline so I'm not sure if these are possible yet. I think the first one might be possible now. But I don't know how to set a clip's duration and name in the editor, or access the bound object from the inspector drawer where I would show warnings.

Admittedly, some of the requirements come from the way Spine animation data is used to pose Spine skeletons, which is separate from Unity's animation system. (I didn't come up with it. I just try to make it work as best it can.)

3. We'd like an editor-side API to be able to identify what tracks are in a timeline. In Spine's case, we need it to be able to just preview animations that are layered on top of each other.

4. If multiple tracks can be handled by one mixer at runtime, it would also help Spine fit better into into how Timeline works. Though I understand that that's sort of fundamental to Timeline's architecture and is probably too much to ask.

kuei1111 likes this.