Search Unity

---Spinball 3d---

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Quietus2, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Quietus2

Quietus2

Code (csharp):
    2. 10 PRINT "HELLO "
    3. 20 GOTO 10
    A little while back I purchased a Pro license and began to scour the documentation. (Yeah, ever since as a little kid, when I taught myself 6502 assembly on a vic-20, I rather read technical documentation than a book.) With all that newfound knowledge and a kick-ass tool to play with, I decided it's about time to actually make a project.

In goes just a couple weeks worth of effort and out pops my Unity 'hello world' project. SpinBall 3d.

I must say I'm amazed at the rapid pace that Unity allows you to prototype and flesh out ideas. The project itself came together and was in a playable state in just a few short days. A couple more days tweaking the 'adjusted' physics. From there I tried to kick the tires of various components just for the experience. In all just under two weeks of part time effort. Amazing.

The project is chock full of horrible programmer art, but Unity allows me to throw said horrible programmer art at it with the ease of drag and drop. DTS exporters be gone!

Did I mention that I love Unity?

2. Tom163

Tom163

Not too bad.

It does need more depth cues, however. It's very hard to tell where exactly in space the ball is.

3. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

This is GREAT!

More than anything, I love the feel of the game - you must have a knack for gameplay (knowing when the game feels right).

I would suggest one thing ... for fun, try adding some eye candy! Go nuts with particles! Since you have a Pro license, maybe try some image effects too. Your programmer art isn't actually that bad, but everybody loves particles and Unity can handle them REALLY well - once you start getting your head around the particles bit of Unity, it can be A LOT of fun.

Keep up the awesome work - this is surely one of the most playable 3d pongs I've seen :)

Parrot.

4. Quietus2

Quietus2

Thanks for the encouragement, parrot.

I was thinking about eye candy myself, and toyed with particles for a short time, but didn't have much success. I tried for the longest time to get the 'ball' to look something akin to a plasma ball as shown in the above picture. I also tried for sparks to fly when it hits a wall, etc. I would likely need to team up with some fruity art dude to get it looking any better.

I instead moved on to what I felt were more important things, such as playing with the WWW class and getting high scores to work, getting a feel for the GUI system, etc. If the art side was an abject failure, the learning Unity from the programming side of things was a raving success.