Search Unity

Spin & Roll - One of the most fun projects I've ever worked on, now available on Steam!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by PixelPrime11, Jan 19, 2021.

1. PixelPrime11

PixelPrime11

The TLDR; link:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1515970/
    https://twitter.com/SavaniaGames

Some reading-bits, for those that are interested ;)

Some screens:

Background:

This is a game that combines my love of colourful, friendly-games like Mario Sunshine and mixes in traditional, abstract and crazy platforming worlds full of twists, turns, traps and hazards! There's 25 stages in the release version (with an additional 15 extra-challenging remixes in Master Mode), and a massive content update is already nearing completion for the first month after launch.

I've always wanted to release my own game. It's been an ambition for the past 18 years, and somehow - even though I'm now 40 and have two young kids, I managed to utilise my free time during lockdown 2020 to put together this project. I'm not quite sure how I juggled this with homeschooling and the rigours of my normal, busy day-job, but I really found myself in that 'zone' of pure enjoyment whilst developing this, something I've missed for a long time.

Technicals:

I used the following software in the game's creation:
    - Unity (2020.2.1f1, predominantly)
    - Blender (for all models)
    - Photoshop (for all 2D elements).
    - Audacity (for all audio work)

Despite attempting to make games for the past near-two decades, I feel like I learned a lot about the game development workflow this time around (simply by working on a game I really enjoyed). I also learned much about Unity I didn't know before, along with some useful bits that are specifically suitable for game-creation - such as building with controller-first in mind, and integrating / using Steamworks.

Final thoughts:

I see a lot of love & hate for Unity online. I've also seen my fair share of so-called 'purists' who feel that if you're not using Unreal Engine you're 'doing it wrong'. I can't say I really pay much attention to this. Unity has been the great enabler for me, personally, and I don't think I would've been able to execute my ideas as well using another platform. There's something about this IDE I particularly enjoy and feel comfortable with, and I'm really looking forward to continuing to use it for the further Spin & Roll content updates, and future game projects I have in mind.

If anyone has any questions about how I made this game, I'd be more than happy to chat further!

Amon likes this.