Search Unity

Question Spider-Verse Suit - like animation effect

Discussion in 'Animation' started by maarcinn, Feb 17, 2021.

1. maarcinn

maarcinn

Hey!

Recently, I was wondering how I could achieve an animation like this one in Unity (go to 1:30):

You can see that the character's animation is played in a lower fps (?). The effect is similar to the the flip book animation. Do you know any way how something like this could be done in Unity? I'm not sure if there's any way to simply lower the fps in the engine. I'm also not sure if simply lowering it could give a similar effect, it looks like there's something more behind it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. M-Elwy

M-Elwy

I haven't tried it before, but my best guess is to lower animation clip frame rate, then adjust animation curves if needed.

maarcinn likes this.
  3. Kleptine

Kleptine

This is done by applying a post-processing pass on animation curves. Usually this is done in Maya, etc, as an export script. You end up with curves that are basically all stair-stepped looking, at the desired frame rate.

Most animation systems don't really have a concept of 'frame rate'. Smooth animation curves can be played back at any frame rate.

maarcinn likes this.
  4. M-Elwy

M-Elwy

Here, that's what I meant, "Frame rate" called samples, and the stair-stepped can be achieved by changing keyframes tangent to "Constant".

But when I tested it, it broke my animation pretty bad.

maarcinn likes this.
  5. maarcinn

maarcinn

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks @M-Elwy , thanks @Kleptine ! You're awesome :D I will easily find more info online now (stepped keys, stepped animation, etc.)

6. M-Elwy

M-Elwy

maarcinn likes this.