Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Spider-Man VR Combat

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by LiableDuke, May 7, 2022.

1. LiableDuke

LiableDuke

I'm currently working on a VR Spider-Man game and I'm trying to design the combat. I just tried to implement a more hand to hand combat system but this didn't feel right in combination with the current movement system (Movement is a realistic fast swinging type movement with wall running and jumping added) so I am thinking of making the core of the combat around a web strike system like in web of shadows. (If you don't know how that system works here is the tutorial
    )

But if this is all you could do the combat would be really shallow so I want to add things like enemies that can parry the web strike so you need to abort it else you'll take damage yourself or get stunned. I was also thinking of added different web mods like a web net, electric webs, web bullets and a web grenade (These will recharge while you are not in combat except for the web bullet these will constantly recharge). So for example there can be an enemy with an energy shield around them that needs a couple of web bullets or a single electric web to disable it. If the player attacks the enemy while the shield is still up they will be stunned.

The enemies I have so far are:
    Normal rifle enemy (can sometimes parry your web-strike)
    Energy shield enemy (like I said before need to take out the shield first)
    Agile enemy (Will always parry your web-strike unless you web them up first with a couple of web bullets or a web net)
    Area of effect enemy (Will have some type of area denial attack so you will have to be careful where you move)

I would like some help thinking of more enemy types to make the gameplay more varied and some feedback in general. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Arkade likes this.
  2. Arkade

Arkade

Huge Spidey fan here so this is totally cool.

Sadly I'm a little short on time so I'll throw some silly stuff out:

* Any flying enemies. Bots akin to Spider-man 1/2 games (or Far From Home Edith bots).
    * armoured but flippable enemies (akin to tortoise/beetle). Needs turning over before damage.
    * Rhino like enemy. Otherwise invulnerable. Taunt into charging you (requiring good chicken timing) then attack once they strike the thing you stood in-front of.
    * Burrowing enemies. Must react to their appearing (with telegraphed dust indicating likely positions).
    * Teleporting enemies. Only able to use spider-sense and do a quick-draw web shot?

Some more combat ideas:

* Spider-sense moments. Perhaps akin to the Batman games indicating imminent danger.
    * Time slow (triggerable from spider-sense moments). You can see it in the video you linked in response to aiming already.
    * Physics use of webs? Web baddy to car, watch them disappear. One hand web to baddy, one to building roof, bring hands together, watch them go sailing off to hang below anchor point. Web two baddies together to have them bolo into one another?
    * Combat in height constrained area (low ceiling). Immediately mandates your original fighting stuff buuuuuut you could allow the player to stand on the ceiling for kicks :D
    * Combat when out of web fluid! Good excuse to alternative skills!

I could pretty much go on all day :) GL!

3. LiableDuke

LiableDuke

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot too add flying enemies too the list and I do like the spider since stuff.

What type of combat would you suggest for when the web fluid runs out. Like I said I tried hand to hand but it didn't feel right.

4. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I do not envy your job of making this game not nauseating with VR.

5. LiableDuke

LiableDuke

I mean to play a game like this you'll need to have some form of VR legs, there is simply no way around that. But there are ways too make it more comfortable. I try too make the movement as smooth as possible and I want too add comfort settings like a static floor under the player.