Search Unity

Spherical world texture atlas advice

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by RoughSpaghetti3211, Mar 21, 2018.

1. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Hello,
    Im about to create my first texture atlas and I need to draw on some of you guys experience.

The world is spherical with 4860 triangle. I intend to create around 5 biomes (sea dessert forrest..).
    Whats a good size for each triangle on the texture atlas. Keep in mind that each triangle needs a texture to blend with the other biome types. eg forrest to dessert forrest to sea forrest to forrest ... Also this is targeting iPhone so whats the max size my atlas can be.

Here are some images to show size of char to triangle ratio.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

Sweet... ok.. my best advice... look at lots and lots of Satalite photos, and take not of the "per pixel" resolution.. like if I enjoy a lot of Mars imagry, some of which is 10m a pixel and sometimes 3 or 4km per pixel...

so, how detailed do you want your world to be?

I've spent a lot of time on this, and I would like to make a world, with each triangle being about 16KM... it's still kinda small... what is that about 4200 triangles at the equater? multiplied by pi or something (I'm not a maths person)

so if you are asking, how large should my triangle be, I say 20-30 KM... any lower, and really you wont be able to find a good world wide heightmap for it on google, and you will have to stitch up your own.

now, 16km per pixel/triangle kinda sucks.... (because there are lots of emptyish place in the world... ) so I'd recommend a 2-pronged approach... 16km per triangle for everyday boring triangles... but then when you have a special place (like where you want some battles, or where a city goes, you can import a separate terrain geometry (I'd use Unity's and just use real world data heightmap... (there would be a seam and overdraw in my method) at a much much higher resolution... say 1000x for a first person view and 100x for a 3rd person outside the vehicle view.

I don't think my post helped much... but if you want to talk world-building in general send me a message.

And I'm so happy to see a Isometirc Sphere with regular triangles for your planet instead of a tessellated sphere with all different sized quads.

3. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Hey Derrick,

Thanks for the reply, I'd love to chat world building. I'll pm you later this week to show you what im up to and then maybe get some of your thoughts.

Attached Files:

DerrickMoore likes this.