Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Spell Indicators - Ability Targeting Visualisation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Werewolf_GS, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Werewolf_GS

Werewolf_GS

Spell Indicators

Asset Store Link

Add polish to your top down RPG or MOBA game by adding Spell Indicators. No longer will your players be frustrated at aiming their skill shots or gauging the area and distance of their abilities! The package has been created to be as hassle free as possible, and is flexible enough that you can easily change colors, add custom graphics and an array of your own indicator types when the time comes. Spell Indicators comes with a base set of 3 clean and simple splat graphics that will suit any genre of game. The code is extensively documented with a step by step text tutorial, as well as a simple demo example if you need.

Hey guys!

I noticed that MOBA and RPG development was a common occurrence, so I decided to make a package so everyone can easily implement LoL and Dota-like spell indicators in their game.

Included in this package;

• A base set of 3 clean and simple splat graphics
    • A Component for managing Spell Indicators on your Character
    • A Component for handling the behaviour on your Spell Indicators
    • An interface for switching between different Spell Indicators via code
    • A text tutorial for implementing the above into your game

The demo scene shown above is available in the package.

Spell Indicators comes with a simple text tutorial to get started, with some extra information on how to extend the package with additional splats or how to map splats to individual spells rather than spell types. The code is open source, and thoroughly organised and documented.

Modification is easy, the implementation was made to be as dead simple as possible to allow the developer to make changes easily without having to navigate through piles of code to figure out how to change something.

Please contact me at werewolfgamestudio@gmail.com if there are any issues, I am happy to make any amendments to the package as soon as possible on your request.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the new package!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    TeagansDad and Gozdek like this.
  2. Gozdek

Gozdek

Cool

3. Werewolf_GS

Werewolf_GS

Hi guys, I've uploaded a few screenshots to show example usage.

You can add more splat types to the SplatManager by adding another attribute in the source code it will show up in the default inspector.

Simply add the Splat the component to any additional splats. Facing/Moving determines whether the splat rotates towards the mouse (eg a Line or Cone) or follows the mouse (a Circle or Point).

This is some example source code usage. All you have to do is refer to the property on the Splat manager such as Line Direction or Cone, or a custom one you have created, and call "Select()".

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  4. Werewolf_GS

Werewolf_GS

Thanks @Gozdek :)

New feature update. Splats are now dynamically scalable through code so you can adjust them on the fly. If you have a bunch of spells that use the same splat with different ranges this will definitely make development more efficient. See the demo that is included to see how to use it.

zyzyx likes this.
  5. Werewolf_GS

Werewolf_GS

New update from a feature request! Point abilities can now have a separate adjustable range indicator and have the splat be restricted to that range.

zyzyx likes this.
  6. Werewolf_GS

Werewolf_GS

Hi guys a new upgrade has been made!

It contains over 30 additional graphics, adjustable cone angle, stretchable missile indicator, health/progress/charge-up indicators, as well as other indicator types.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/88156

Bhanshee00 likes this.
  7. fetish

fetish

This set (and the upgrade) are great, but I'd really like to learn how to do this myself - especially the dynamic sizing. Do you know of any good tutorials or have any pointers on how to do it?

Thanks a bunch!