Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

SpeedTree v8

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Rowlan, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Any chance to get a free model for testing?

2. MostHated

MostHated

I am on board and think this would be a great idea.

3. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

if Unity will provide SpeedTree 8 for free (as Amazon for Lumberyard) been very good. but while this is in my dreams ))))

4. MikeGardiner

MikeGardiner

I went through this process today - you can get a free account with Speedtree, download the editor for Unreal and use it in ‘export only mode’ - it has a few examples included that you can export as an .st file and import into Unity.

I found you have to export the textures individually (not packed - it’s in the export options) and then flip the leaf textures vertically in Photoshop as they come in backwards.

Once in Unity, normal maps won’t work unless you turn them off in the material options then back on.

I have to say though, the trees look great - subsurface scattering makes a big difference, and there doesn’t seem to be any of the leaf texture mip issues that v7 trees had.

elbows likes this.
  5. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

hm... thx for info - i have account on SpedTree site & i has been see You recept )

6. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

found bug for me - after export i have 270 degrees x-angle rotate object. correction is not working. but if save this as prefab then all still work (wind include) inside terrain (or other objects).

7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Really weird how biggest game engine in the world is not supported currently. Whats happening on this?

8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I got reply back from Speedtree, they are releasing Unity v8 tree modeler once they roll out v8.2. I'd expect it to be available before 2018.3 final but it might still take a good while since they aren't yet ready to release.

AlanMattano, trilobyteme and Rowlan like this.
  9. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

This good news.
    interesting - Unity has been support (in future) Tree-IT ?

10. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Tree-It is more of a standalone app as it doesn't export to a specific file format (as Speedtree does with all its information, shaders, material setup, LODs, etc) it's just regular OBJs and you will have to clean up the files afterward, vert merge, normal edits, etc.

AlanMattano likes this.
  11. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

this is true, but i for modelling is use tree-it, & i want normally wind support for this software too. if without wind - then trees, exporting from this tool (include fbx format in latest versions) very good.